Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mini Ice Age?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

Link here in the uk, but it's all over the US in washington.post, too:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/11733369/Earth-heading-for-mini-ice-age-within-15-years.html

Client of mine just called me about it.  I don't usually put much stock in these reports, but what think ye?

You can tell I'm trying to avoid working, huh. :)

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

I've read a paper somewhere that states quite the opposite.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:21 PM

I'm sure the global warming deniers will hype this totally misleading Telegraph article. Just knowing it is an article in the Telegraph should cause skepticism as to its claim. But it sells.

Washington Post says this: News about an imminent ‘mini ice age’ is trending — but it’s not true - The Washington Post

.......Though University of Northumbria mathematics professor Valentina Zharkova, who led the sunspot research, did find that the magnetic waves that produce sunspots (which are associated with high levels of solar activity) are expected to counteract one another in an unusual way in the coming years, the press release about her research mentions nothing about how that will affect the Earth’s climate. Zharkova never even used the phrase “mini ice age.” Meanwhile, several other recent studies of a possible solar minimum have concluded that whatever climate effects the phenomenon may have will be dwarfed by the warming caused by greenhouse gas emissions.

Besides, that “Little Ice Age” that occurred during the Maunder minimum, it wasn’t so much a global ice age as a cold spell in Europe, and it may have been caused more by clouds of ash from volcanic eruptions than by fluctuations in solar activity.

(It’s also worth mentioning that Zharkova’s findings have not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal, so her conclusions haven’t been vetted and refined.)............

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

What is causing all this mixed up atmosphere events.  Human activity??  Global warming, not as extreme as some predicted.  Increased storm activity?  Tell that to the California folks who've seen one rain event in four years.   Climate change??   Yes, indeed.  Just that, like all things on this planet, CHANGE  To the good here, to the bad there, but always change.  We wouldn't be  on this planet or have evolved as far as we have if it wasn't for change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users