Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Device Manager and Unable to Install Wireless Adapter

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GardenGuy2

GardenGuy2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

I uninstalled my wireless adapter due to a very minor problem (which I wish I had ignored).  Now when I try to reinstall I get a "Data is Invalid" error.  Also, the program claims it cannot see the hardware, but Windows definitely does see it.

I also noticed that my Device Manager now comes up blank.  It show absolutely no devices.

Please help.  I am using Windows Vista (32 bit).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:58 PM

You should run a SFC /scannow in windows command prompt. Make sure you run it as administrator. 

#3 GardenGuy2

GardenGuy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:40 AM

Thank you for your reply.  I did run SFC.  It did not solve the problem.

I did notice in the CBS file (that resulted from the SFC) that there are entries from the day when I trying to do the uninstall and trying to fix this problem.

The CBS file is much too big to upload or copy here.  I have attached just the entries from July of 2015 (which might be the only relevant entries).

I hope that the solution is hidden somewhere in here and that someone can interpret this and help me with it.

Thank you.

Attached Files

#4 TinoNgombo

TinoNgombo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:14 AM

Hello, sir GardenGuy2 :)

Have you also tried to run your operating system on Safe Mode and see if the Device Manager is blank there, as well?

Edited by TinoNgombo, 16 July 2015 - 07:15 AM.

#5 GardenGuy2

GardenGuy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:05 AM

Thank you for the question.  Device Manager is also blank in Safe Mode.

#6 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:08 AM

Here is one potential thing to try. I have seen this on a few forums across the internet. 

If the Device Manager is till showing empty list try the following -

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
  2. Double-click Plug and Play. (If you receive a Configuration Manager message, click OK.)
  3. In the Startup Type list, click Automatic, and then click OK.
  4. Close Services.
  5. Restart the computer.

If this doesn't work I noticed most people had to edit the registry. 

#7 GardenGuy2

GardenGuy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

Thank you for the suggestions.  Plug and Play settings cannot be changed (at least in the current state of the computer they are greyed out).  I have tried editing the registry as I've seen with other suggestions online.  When I do this, I get to a window where I am changing permissions.  I can make changes here, but the computer will not keep the changes.  (I don't have this in front of me right now, but when I click on Apply or OK the computer says something like it can't keep the changes.)

#8 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:36 PM

That's frustrating, sorry I am not all to sure what more to do. 

#9 GardenGuy2

GardenGuy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:53 AM

It turns out that the solution was System Restore.  System Restore did not work when run from within Windows, but when I tried running it by choosing "Repair Your Computer" (F8 at startup, etc), this time it worked.  Honestly, it's possible that it just worked because I used a different restore point, but I don't think so because I had already tried at least 3 other restore points when I ran this from within Windows.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.  I hope my solution will end up helping others also.

#10 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:21 AM

If you have too many problems you can always wipe and reload the machine. I like to do it once a year just to keep my machine running at it's prime.  Sometimes things just need to be wiped haha.  System restore is similar, and I am glad it is working for you. I wish I could have helped you more!

#11 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:11 PM

It turns out that the solution was System Restore.  System Restore did not work when run from within Windows, but when I tried running it by choosing "Repair Your Computer" (F8 at startup, etc), this time it worked.  Honestly, it's possible that it just worked because I used a different restore point, but I don't think so because I had already tried at least 3 other restore points when I ran this from within Windows.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.  I hope my solution will end up helping others also.

Was just about to suggest Sys Restore until & scrolled down enough to see you did it.  Reckoned that would resolve.

Edited by Drew1903, 17 July 2015 - 06:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users