Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Switch Extension Cable?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Shackleheart

Mr_Shackleheart

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:11 PM

Hello, I am currently building a budget computer for my younger brother. I am using a Dell inspiron case that I had lying around, and it turned out that the power switch cable is not long enough for the motherboard. I understand that most power switches are a 2 pin cable, but this power switch is different and has 11 pins (it appears to use the LED slots as well). I am wondering how to go about buying an extension for this, and whether an extension like this exists, if I can just use a 2 pin cable or if I am going to need a combination of 2 and 3 pin cables to make it work. I have attached a picture for reference. Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

Are you sure that is only the front panel power connector? It looks like a single, integrated front panel header connector to me. Usually there are several individual, tiny connectors for front panel pwr switch, USB headers, HDD LED, etc. Sometimes these retail manufacturers make a single ribbon cable encompassing all the front panel connectors to save assembly-line time. That is why it will not reach, it was made strictly for the original mainboard.

If this is the case, about the only thing I can suggest is to cut each lead in the middle and splice in a section of wire to extend the plug. Eye-strain work. If it has a single ribbon-cable with only free leads at the front panel side, hopefully you can pull each lead apart to make them single wires. If the ribbon cable is formed solid, that won't work, unfortunately.

[EDIT]: I just thought....maybe Ebay will have generic individual front panel header leads that you can purchase, and just connect each front panel peripheral individually to the mainboard like you would normally.

Edited by ranchhand_, 15 July 2015 - 03:58 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Mr_Shackleheart

Mr_Shackleheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

Hi, the front panel has 4 cables. One for audio, one for USB, one for card reader and then as I mentioned earlier, the power switch cable. The power cable is actually comprised of 4 different colored cables which lead into one 11 pin connector. I understand that the design was to be for the original motherboard, but I really don't want to purchase a Dell motherboard over my MSI. I think my best bet would be to splice it. What kind of cable would you recommend using to splice to the power switch? Thanks

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:29 PM

cable is actually comprised of 4 different colored cables which lead into one 11 pin connector

If these wires are separated, IOW not 4 wires comprising a single, flat ribbon cable, it will be easier. Just obtain 4 wires of the same diameter in the length that you need, strip all ends of insulation, and do a splice connection (wrap the bare ends together horizontally to maintain a straight run). Before that get shrink wrap tubing (available at any hardware store) of the correct diameter as the wire you are splicing, and before you splice the ends slip a piece on each of the wires, then after the wire is twisted together slide it over the splice and apply a small flame to it. The tubing will shrink tight and bind the splice as well as insulate it for a permanent bond. Once you have done all four wires, you will have adequate length to connect.

Question: are you really sure the plug on the end of the existing power cable will fit the front panel contacts on the MSI motherboard??  I can't see how it would, but you have it in front of you.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Mr_Shackleheart

Mr_Shackleheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:53 PM

Alright cool. I guess I'm just going to splice it. The plug will definitely fit into the MSI motherboard. It is the exact same slot. Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users