Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HBOGo Buffering Problems on Laptop / Better with Roku/Apple TV?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:43 PM

Hello. I've had HBOGo streaming on my laptop for several months now and it's great for content but the buffering is horrible. It's almost unwatchable. I've been told HBOGo is much better on Roku. Is this correct? What about on Apple TV?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noonytunes

noonytunes

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:12 AM

I'm sorry this didn't get a response.  I'd be interested to hear someone's advice on this.  :bubbles:

noonytunes

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:13 AM

First thing to check is if your cable provider offers access to the HBO Go Roku app. Most are on there now, but I know there were issues with some providers like Comcast for a while.

Also, different providers throttle the connection to the HBO Go stream differently, so AFIK there is no general rule. I have heard that HBO Go can access content servers(CDN) which can be a double edge sword. Cable provider(ISP) will say they use them to move the content physically closer to the user for better performance, but the real reason is it allows the providers to give the content without needing bandwidth from outside sources. Bandwidth cost money. Furthermore, if provided to the content provider(HBO) for free, the CDNs can be heavily managed to save the ISP more money. HBO Now is not a free service and does not require you to have a cable subscription, so I wonder if it uses a different feed, but I have not seen data one way or another. 

Last, you might want to check if other apps on the device don't work well. If they don't, try troubleshooting the network connection of that device.

Edited by Trikein, 10 July 2016 - 09:15 AM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:44 PM

FWIW, I have never had any issues using HBOGo on my AppleTV. Worked great. I will admit that is has been awhile since I used it, however.

And if it matters, I have Comcast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users