Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Management BSOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Xendrix

Xendrix

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:37 AM

i keep getting this randomly along with 

NTFS file system

System service exception

pfn service list

so my specs

250hdd

amd athlon ii p360

windows 8.1 x64 bit

8gb ram 2 sticks

memtest showed i had no errors.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

Close all running programs.

try running from an administrator command prompt:

chkdsk  /r   (don't forget space after chkdsk)

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Xendrix

Xendrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:00 PM

ok what do i do after? usually when it does a disk check the problem stops momentarily then it returns. 

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,669 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:31 PM

Do you mean that you have already run chkdsk /r and it didn't work?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Xendrix

Xendrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:11 PM

yes after logging in i got system service exxception....then when i got to chrome i got memory managemengt. sometims chrome will fail to load page.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,669 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:47 AM

These are probably the most difficult types of system problems to diagnose; the usual suspects are, in order of occurence:

>Faulty/old drivers causing file system corruption. You are running a very old system with an outdated CPU that was not intended for Windows8.1; 8 gig RAM is good, but I would guess it is older SDRAM, possibly not DDR. (I stand to be corrected if I am wrong!) Carefully check if Windows 8 specifications match requirements for your equipment.

>Old versions of programs that do not function well on new systems, the program crashes and corrupts the NTFS file system.

>Equipment beginning to fail causing crashes.

All you can do is start testing the bejabbers out of everything you can think of. I know this sounds ambiguous, but that is the reality every time I have a unit come in with this type of random BSOD problem.

A few suggestions to get you started, starting with easy and working up to "lot of work":

> First, try to remember when this first started; what were you doing? What program was running? Did you recently (within a couple of days) install any new program, start visiting a new website you had not been to before, a sudden electric blackout or a circuit breaker throw, etc.?

> Check all cable connections; I know this seems over-simplification, but a bad cable can do weird things to a system.

> Reset your CMOS back to factory default; I have seen a corrupted BIOS setting prevent booting more than once.

> Enter Safe Mode and run the Chkdsk /r command

> Check your hard drive:

SEATOOLS FOR DOS tutorial

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
When the program opens, click the upper left corner for the Long Test.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice.
Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

> When you checked your memory, be sure that you checked one stick of RAM at a time, placed in the #1 slot; checking multiple sticks at a time can cause false "pass" results. I, personally, prefer Memtest 86+

> If you have a power supply tester, use that to test your PS. If you don't have a tester, can you swap out with a different PS?

> You may want to consider rolling back to an older OS that your system will run better (just a thought).

> If all this fails, Here is a guide that will help you find the problem, but it is a bit drastic. It is really written for system builders, but the testing procedures are excellent for finding really difficult problems.

I hope some of this will be helpful. I work on old systems constantly, many are XP, and run into these type of problems all the time.

Wish you good hunting in your troubleshooting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users