Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Java] New version of Java, Java 8 Update 51 has been released

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:40 AM

The newest version of Java, Java 8 Update 51 has been released yesterday. You can download Java for free from Java.com.

http://www.java.com/en/

You can also download the offline Java installers from the link below.

https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

This update patches a 0-day exploit that was recently undiscovered by TrendMicro and already used in the wild as well as over 190 other vulnerabilities.

Oracle patches already-exploited Java zero-day flaw, over 190 other vulnerabilities
"Trend Micro Discovers New Java Zero-Day Exploit", via TrendMicro's Blog

If you don't need Java on your computer, uninstall it. If you need it, you can install it, but make sure that you disable it and only run it when needed.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,901 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:24 PM

If you have desktop programs which require java to run then the best thing you can do is disable it's browser functions, this can be done by the method described on the following page, that way java can still run for those who need it as an environment for their desktop programs, but it will not be vulnerable as a browser plugin. http://www.howtogeek.com/134353/how-to-protect-yourself-from-java-security-problems-if-you-cant-uninstall-it/?PageSpeed=noscript
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:20 AM

Question: from other information I have learned from, it was my experience that Java was totally not necessary and perhaps deleted from "All Programs" and to not ever update?

Am I totally confused about the Java you are sharing update information about?

Thanks!

softeyes

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:47 AM

It is that Java you are talking about, softeyes. However some people need Java for their software to work, and developers also use it as well - that is why it is important to keep it updated.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:17 AM

It is that Java you are talking about, softeyes. However some people need Java for their software to work, and developers also use it as well - that is why it is important to keep it updated.

This. For example at work, our timesheet website and one of our website that lets us access our work computers remotely are Java web app, which means that we need Java installed in order for these pages and apps to works.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:27 PM

Thanks you two!  I ditched Java about 4 years ago. Obviously the tasks I do on the computer are not reliant on Java!

I appreciate your feedback; it never hurts to try and stay current!  :apple:

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

No problem, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users