Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows XP security just got worse again", via ZDNet

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:15 AM

Here's another reason to upgrade that old Windows XP PC: Microsoft has now stopped providing antivirus signatures for the out-of-support operating system.

Even after support for the venerable OS ended in April last year, Microsoft continued to provide its malicious software removal tool and updates to Microsoft Security Essentials - that is, until yesterday.

It has not been possible to download Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows XP since the end of support, but PCs with it already installed have been receiving anti-malware signature updates for the last 16 months. Because the malicious software removal tool is connected with the company's anti-malware engine and signatures, that has also remained working.

Windows XP security just got worse again

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TinoNgombo

TinoNgombo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:23 AM

Yes, indeed. All the companies that still run Windows XP, especially if they have a peer-to-peer network, should definitely upgrade.

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:29 AM

Now Windows XP users will have to rely on third-party antivirus software for their protection... and even then that's not enough.

#4 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:07 AM

Well at least the navy is safe for now! Haha only cost a few billion dollars. I tell people every day at work, that using XP is very dangerous. 

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:20 AM

Now Windows XP users will have to rely on third-party antivirus software for their protection... and even then that's not enough.

And paid ones on top of that because free ones don't cut it under Windows XP anymore sadly.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:28 AM

I think Bitdefender Free can stand up to a lot of the paid AV's. Also, if a person is running XP pro, I believe one can make it very secure if they take the time to do some research but few people are going to to that. Some of the things they can use.

SRP

EMET 

Third Party Firewall with HIPS

Registry Hack which I am not going to go into as it's against forum rules

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:45 AM

Registry Hack which I am not going to go into as it's against forum rules

I know what Registry Hack you are talking about, and it's not recommended to use it. It can break a Windows XP installation.

unite_blue.png

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:57 AM

I have been using it for over a year on two computers and nothing has broken yet, knock on wood.  Edit: I would not recommend this hack if a person does not have an option to recover such as a disk image backup.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 July 2015 - 09:00 AM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:59 AM

Knock on wood hard John :P

unite_blue.png

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

My knuckles are bleeding. :)

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,565 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:55 PM

Here's another reason to upgrade that old Windows XP PC: Microsoft has now stopped providing antivirus signatures for the out-of-support operating system.

That information was clearly provided by Microsoft with the July 14, 2015 date at the time they ended support for XP so informed users should have already been aware this day was coming and planning to switch to another anti-virus solution.

These Anti-Virus Software Products Will Continue to Protect XP after the End of Support

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

That information was clearly provided by Microsoft with the July 14, 2015 date at the time they ended support for XP so informed users should have already been aware this day was coming and planning to switch to another anti-virus solution.

That same kind of information (and warning) was also made by Microsoft concerning the end of support for Windows XP so users and business would have to time to upgrade, yet a lot of them didn't listen eh :P

unite_blue.png

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,565 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:33 PM

That same kind of information (and warning) was also made by Microsoft concerning the end of support for Windows XP so users and business would have to time to upgrade, yet a lot of them didn't listen

That is what I was referring to. Business and government are always slow to make changes...it's the nature of the beast. Individuals don't have that same excuse. Some are just lazy, some are uniformed, and some cannot always afford to upgrade. Still there are those savy users who do not fit into any of those categories...they like the XP OS just as others still like Windows 98. These folks generally tend to be more security minded and take extra precautions to protect themselves.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users