Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows unable to connect to Wifi

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jenzer

Jenzer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:53 AM

Hello, I'm having some wifi issues. In the past few weeks I've only been able to use the internet on my laptop when connected via ethernet, despite having used the same wireless, router, laptop, etc perfectly fine for years!

When I first start up my laptop, I can see the list of my available connections. I press connect for my usual home router and then it will say "Windows was unable to connect to blahblahblah". And then the list will have a red cross and claim no connections are available. 

If I press troubleshoot problem, Windows Network Diagnostics says to "investigate router or access point issues", which involves turning the device off (done this several times). When I select "check to see if problem is fixed", it thinks for a bit then says "Windows cannot resolve your wireless connectivity issue".

Please can you help? :( 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:01 AM

Welcome to BC. !

Have you Reset the router ?....this usually involves inserting the end of a paperclip into a tiny hole located on the router itself......google the name of the router and it will show you where that hole is.

The word Reset should be written directly above/beside the hole.

To do this, press and hold the Reset button for 10 seconds. NOTE: Resetting your router to its default factory settings will also reset your router's password. The router's default password is “admin” as for the username, just leave the field blank.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#3 Jenzer

Jenzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:25 AM

Thank you for your reply! I've just reset my router but unfortunately it has not made any difference :(

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:35 AM

What is the make and model of the laptop? If a Dell sometimes the intel drivers get borked and reinstalling them helps. Are there any yellow exclamation marks next to your Wireless Adapter in Device Manager? Right click the Wireless Adapter, select Properties, under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

#5 Jenzer

Jenzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:59 PM

Hi, sorry for the delay - I've been moving the router to see if it made a difference if it was closer (a bit but not much, still really slow and frequently disconnects) and trying out other laptops (all connect fine and fast). So it must be my laptop itself. It's a HP Folio 13-1020ea.

I looked under Network Adapters and found 6, so I'm not sure which one is best (have attached pic). Here is the Hardware ID for the Intel one, which looked best to my newbie eyes:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008B&SUBSYS_53158086&REV_34

Attached Files

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

Try this driver. I am assuming you have 64bit Windows 7.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24847/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Bluetooth-technology-for-Windows-7-64-bit-WP-

#7 Jenzer

Jenzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:34 AM

Hi yes, Windows 7 64-bit. I've installed the driver but I don't think anything's changed.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:57 AM

It's possible the wireless adapter is having issues. You can verify if it is a hardware issue by downloading FatDog64. Burn a disk and boot FatDog. See if your wireless is still having issues. If it is then you probably need a new adapter. A USB adapter like this one is very popular. If it does turn out to be the adapter then you will need to replace it with an HP as HP has been know to whiltelist their wireless adapters.

Fatdog64-701.iso

Fatdog64-701.iso.md5sum.txt

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 July 2015 - 07:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users