Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot detected deletion of igfxcui??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 metallicite

metallicite

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:37 AM

Hi,

I have Spybot and Teatimer and on start up of my computer (windows 8.1) I got a spybot window pop up saying the following:

Spybot - Search & Destroy has detected an important registry entry that has been changes.

Category: Winlogon Notifiers

Change: Value deleted

Entry: igfxcui

Allow change

From my googling gfxcui seems important or required to be used by windows stuff so I am trying to work out why something is trying to delete it? first time on start up I just "end task"ed teatimer but it came up again.

Also the funny thing is that it doesn't have the other button showing of don't allow change or what ever it says so that makes me more suspicious...

Anyone else had this before?

Cheers,

Hayden

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:45 AM

Hello Hayden,

From here and here it appears that igfxcui is part of your video chipset driver.

If the entry is deleted it could mean that something modified the entry to disable startup. Have you updated the driver recently?

Also, Spybot Search & Destroy is no longer recommended... its performance is poor and there are better alternatives out there.

Regards,
Alex

#3 metallicite

metallicite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:53 AM

Thanks Alex,

Yes I saw those links and realised it was needed but didn't know what to do from there.

No I haven't updated drivers but will try that. or do you mean have i tried to update them and something might have happened?

Thanks, yes I started using spybot ages ago and kept going so I will google some alternatives.

Cheers,

Hayden

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:17 AM

What I mean is those entries can be changed (or not...) if you recently updated drivers.

We can rule out infections if you need it... otherwise there is nothing to worry about.

Two best AM software currently on the market are Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Both are excellent scanners and provide real time protection when upgraded to paid version.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:36 AM

Most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

For this specific alert...you may want to ask at the Spybot Forums.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users