Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking failure even when not overclocked and other CPU problems

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 HaxCom_Disega

HaxCom_Disega

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:27 AM

Good day everyone I recently build a PC, it ran good for a few months but recently I am having problems with my PC, it gave me a prompt just when I turned on my PC, that Overclocking failed so I went in to the bios and just load defaults settings but when I saved and exited my motherboard made a beeping sound and I did a hard reset and again it said that the overclocking has failed. I tried to load defaults again but still the same thing happens, so what I did was I went to the bios and use the ezwizard option that I had, it did the trick and I was back in the desktop again but after a few hours of gaming I felt a big FPS drop from 100+FPS and it just dropped to 20+ fps. I was confused so I ran cpuz and to my shock it says that my CPU frequency is 1.5ghz usually it says 3.5 or 3.9ghz. I couldn't find any solution to my problem. can you guys help me out? thank you so much

Summary:

"Problems"
> OVERCLOCKING FAILURE EVEN WITH DEFAULT SETTINGS
>CPU frequency drop

PC SPECS:

CPU- Intel 5960x 3.0ghz
Motherboard - Asus Rampage V extreme
RAM- 64gb Dominator Platinum
GPU- GTX 980  sli
PSU - Corsair Rm1000

Storage- 1tb SSD 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:37 AM

First if you could download HWMonitor from CPUID.  That will allow you to tell us the temperature of your CPU.  Second Asus defaults sometimes include the motherboard to automatically overclock.  So look carefully at your bios.  Asus AI Tweaker often is set to overclock. Could you take a picture of your bios under the advanced tab then under AI Tweaker. 

#3 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:33 AM

Haxcom_Disega, can you please answer couple of questions before going to diagnostic your computer?

1) Have you update your bios recently?

2) Do you have your motherboard and graphics card drivers up to date?

3) Can you confirm that you power management mode is set to "High Performance" instead of power saving? You can check this by going to Power options 

4) Does ASUS telling you to press F1 key to enter bios in order to restore settiings when you seeing that error message?

Once you answer those questions, i want you to follow my instructions to diagnostic your computer

1) Download CPUID HWMonitor from this site,(http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html), after you download and install, let it runs on your background until you complete my instructions. 

2) Please download and install Aida64 System stress test software,(http://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xe) once you finish down and install, run this software then go to tools tab on your upper left hand > System stability test > make sure all of them are check then click " Start", you will notice your mouse movement will start getting laggy that indicates that your system is been fully stress test 100% on every single components. Let this thing runs approximately 30 minutes to an hour.

3) Please download Cinebench R15(http://www.maxon.net/products/cinebench/overview.html), scroll all the way down until you see " Download Maxon Cinebench", once you are done please open the software and runs CPU testing NOT CPU SINGLE CORE atleast 5 times to confirm is stable, this software will test your CPU against real world rendering applications

4) Now time to test your GPU, please download and install Unigine Heaven benchmark(https://unigine.com/products/heaven/) and Unigine Valley benchmark(https://unigine.com/products/valley/), Let this thing runs all the scenes, after that click " Benchmark" on your top left hand corner. But before of running this make sure the  preset settings is set to Extreme when you open these two software.

5) Once you done, please post a picture of CPUID HWMonitor idling temperature before you run these stress test and one after you finish run this stress test. Also, if you can post Cinbench score, Unigine Heaven score, and Unigine Valley  benchmark score then that would be great to see what is going on.

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 15 July 2015 - 01:37 AM.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

I have seen this before and the CMOS battery failed and the BIPS got scrambled.  In severe cases, the battery corrodes, leaks and eats traces of the MOBO.  A factory reset is called for, either through BIOS or by shorting a pair of pins on the MOBO,  sometimes a shorting clip(s) across the battery terminals before installing a new one will force the reset.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

As I was reading the OP's post...I also thought "CMOS battery".

It may not be the problem, but it's probably the first thing that should come to mind when hardware configuration scenarios appear out of nowhere, IMO.

Louis

#6 HaxCom_Disega

HaxCom_Disega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:10 AM

Guys thank you for the swift response..I had that problem again and I wasn't to get on the PC, but I somehow by mashing the ezwizard I got in and did the Stability Test and Bennchmarks. Now I shall answer sir. JerkyMcDilerino's questions.

1.) Not recently but a few months ago.
2.)My Graphics cards are up to date but I don't know about the Motherboard though
3.) power%20saving%20option.png

4.) yes

Idle temps:

idle%20temps.png

Benchmark
cine.png

uni%20valley.png

uni.png

I ran the stability test for 6 hours straight no errors and here's the temps after stress test

after%20stress.png%202.png

sir mjd420 and sir moderator thank you for the replies, do you think the problem I've been facing is caused by the cmos battery? how can I fix that? thank you so much for the quick replies and deeply honored by your presence sir moderator.

Edited by HaxCom_Disega, 18 July 2015 - 01:26 AM.

#7 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:17 AM

Thanks HaxCom_Disega for the logs, base on the logs it indicates that your CPU is been overclock to 3.9GHz or 4GHz on ASUS AI Tweak and CPUID HWMonitor, so i would like you to reset it to default, and the temperature for your CPU is insanely high this could be lead to thermal throttling, i assume you are using Intel box cooler right? i7 - 5960X base clock is 3GHz and boost clock to 3.5GHz, anything that are 3.5GHz above is overclock.

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 18 July 2015 - 05:21 AM.

#8 HaxCom_Disega

HaxCom_Disega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:21 PM

Thank you for the reply sir Jerky, but the problem is when I set it  default settings it beeps then gives me the overclocking failure prompt I did this multiple times and found out that the ezwizard is the only way I could go back in the desktop. and no I'am not using a box cooler I'am using a Corsair H105 liquid cooler. So when my CPU clocks down it might because of thermal throttling? I wanna know how could be  a water cooler not sufficient enough  for cooling this cpu and what could I do to fix this? change to another cooling option perhaps? or reapply thermal paste? thank you so much for the quick response. 

#9 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 02:02 PM

so let me get this right, if you uninstall ASUS AI Tweak you will not able to access to your computer? 

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2015 - 03:24 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 02:58 PM

The CMOS battery keeps the system configuration when the unit is unplugged.  It is usually a coin type, (2016, 2025,2032,etc) and fits in a holder with a bar across the center (positive contact).  The battery fault can prevent any thing in the BIOS from being properly saved after any changes, it can also scramble the BIOS making for a failure to unload the BIOS and boot.  Leaking batteries can do serious damage to the holder, surrounding devices and traces off the board.

#11 HaxCom_Disega

HaxCom_Disega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:54 PM

no I whenever I load the default settings in the UFI bios it would give the prompt that overclocking has failed and I use the EZwizard in the UFI bios to get in to the desktop not the Asus AI suite.. so 3 guys think that it's the CMOS battery, what should I do to fix the battery? thank you for your responses 

#12 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:56 PM

no I whenever I load the default settings in the UFI bios it would give the prompt that overclocking has failed and I use the EZwizard in the UFI bios to get in to the desktop not the Asus AI suite.. so 3 guys think that it's the CMOS battery, what should I do to fix the battery? thank you for your responses 

1) Unplug all cable except for the power

2) Remove the screws on the rear of the PC

3) Slide the side panel of the rear PC

4) Locate the battery. It is a small shiny metal wafer(like a larger version of watch battery)

5) Remember which direction the battery is installed. Usually the engraved side, the positive side, is face up. Remove the battery from the motherboard

6) Head to the store and try to buy an exact same battery as it had on the motherboard

7) Acquire the battery and replace it in the same socket it was removed from. Make sure the new battery is installed in the exactly the same orientation as the previous battery

8) Insert your panel

9) Connect all your cables and turn on the PC to set the time. 

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 20 July 2015 - 12:00 AM.

#13 HaxCom_Disega

HaxCom_Disega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

Thank you so much everyone for helping me will do that after work.. But can I ask another favour. This is my dad's pc and he keeps bugging me because I deleted a copy of Windows 10 preview that I have in a USB. Can you guys tell him that installing windows 10 preview won't fix the problem he is determined that installing that would fix this. Post it in this post and I'll let him see. And again everyone thank you so much for all the help have s great day to all of you.

#14 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:59 PM

It's a hardware issue not a software issue, if it a software issue you can change your bios settings easily. But unlike your case, it rather toward hardware problems.

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2015 - 03:27 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users