Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla and Flashplayer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:06 PM

I noticed on some things I was looking at,said I needed to upgrade my flashpalyer. OK I have seen that message countless times over the years. No big deal. So I downloaded it. No big hurry to install it yet, THEN I came across this article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/07/14/mozilla-says-flash-is-too-dangerous-to-run-automatically-in-firefox/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_2_na

According to the article,Mozilla wont even let them have flashplayer until its fixed.Some people are calling for the end of Flashplayer

Question So what is the replacement for Flashplayer and why is it so vulnerable to hackers?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rg43

rg43

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:34 PM

It is up and running, Mozilla is working on a replacement (Shumway)

#3 EricW44

EricW44

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:14 AM

rg43: I have Parkinson's Disease and an aging, failing brain.  Please clarify what you mean in the post above so that obsoletes like me can understand what you mean.

Sorry, but some of us just aren't as quick as we used to be.

EricW44

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:30 AM

Hi Norseman143 :)

There's multiple replacements for Adobe Flash Player, the most popular one being the implementation of HTML5 on the web.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5

As for why it's so vulnerable, pretty much because Flash Player (like Adobe Reader, Java, Silverlight, etc.) is one of the most installed program in the world. Which means that if hackers finds an exploit (0-day) in it, they are sure to target a large number of users. They want to hit the biggest portion of users if possible and Flash is a way to achieve that goal. Right now, there's a lot of discussion about Adobe Flash Player being insecure because three 0-day exploits were found in the leak from Hacking Team (they got hacked and 400GB of confidential data got leaked). Now they are all patched in Adobe Flash Player 18.0.0.209 but it's still a good wake up call that tells people around the world that the time they relied on Flash is coming to an end and for a more secure web, it needs to be dumped and replaced completely.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:17 PM

This should cause a good little shake up on the web. 

#6 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

rg43: I have Parkinson's Disease and an aging, failing brain.  Please clarify what you mean in the post above so that obsoletes like me can understand what you mean.

Sorry, but some of us just aren't as quick as we used to be.

EricW44

Mozilla is the parent company for the Firefox browser

#7 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:41 PM

Hi Norseman143 :)

There's multiple replacements for Adobe Flash Player, the most popular one being the implementation of HTML5 on the web.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5

As for why it's so vulnerable, pretty much because Flash Player (like Adobe Reader, Java, Silverlight, etc.) is one of the most installed program in the world. Which means that if hackers finds an exploit (0-day) in it, they are sure to target a large number of users. They want to hit the biggest portion of users if possible and Flash is a way to achieve that goal. Right now, there's a lot of discussion about Adobe Flash Player being insecure because three 0-day exploits were found in the leak from Hacking Team (they got hacked and 400GB of confidential data got leaked). Now they are all patched in Adobe Flash Player 18.0.0.209 but it's still a good wake up call that tells people around the world that the time they relied on Flash is coming to an end and for a more secure web, it needs to be dumped and replaced completely.

Hi Aura

OK so what I dont understand is,Mozzilla blocked the plugin from working, but I could still watch videos on Youtube without any problems.

The only place I had any problems was when someone would post a video on a forum

So how can I watch videos on my Youtube channel but not on the forum? I dont get it

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

Youtube uses the HTML5 player by default if you use a web browser that support is it (and Mozilla Firefox does). On forums, video applets are usually created with Flash Player and not HTML5, and since the Flash Player plugin is blocked, these videos won't work.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users