Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much of W10 downloaded?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:41 PM

Is there a way to find out just how much in total the Get Windows 10 app has downloaded it so far?

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:44 PM

There's no way to know that when Windows 10 hasn't been officially released yet. Maybe at a later date.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:45 PM

I mean how much of Windows 10 has been downloaded.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:48 PM

What do you mean? Windows 10 hasn't been released yet, so "none" of it has been downloaded on your system so far.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

I read that the Get Windows 10 App downloads W10 bit by bit until the release date.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:58 PM

I doubt it starts so soon. Maybe a few days before, but not like 15 days.

unite_blue.png

#7 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:50 PM

Then that probably means I'll have to wait a while for it to download since I'm on a "high speed" 5mbps connection.

#8 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:11 PM

Then that probably means I'll have to wait a while for it to download since I'm on a "high speed" 5mbps connection.

I've read articles telling people to keep their computer on as much as possible starting on the 25th so that bit by bit download can happen. There are however, some pre-download/install updates coming in now getting your computer ready to receive it. I've run the KB numbers for several updates lately and that was what they were. Supposedly, the last bit of Windows 10 will start coming in on July 29th assuming the person has been getting it during those last few days. Make sure your Windows Update is on the recommended automatic download. When it is finally ready for installing you will get a notification by way of a popup in your notification area.  

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:47 PM

As that is a "pathetic speed" for this "modern world", take it to a mates place and download from there.

At least I get 15mbps at average speeds (and I think it is pathetic for these days) -

#10 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:14 AM

Sure, im guessing it would be using Bitsadmin to downlaod updates like all updates so use this command as administratot to see if it is listed.

Im sure there is a status switch you can use as well but im sure the /jobname gives the % of download it has done.

bitsadmin /list :: this will list the job
bitsadmin /monitor :: shoudl monitor

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 15 July 2015 - 12:17 AM.

#11 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:20 AM

I forgot to mention that the current build will probaby start downloading but they will just add patches/update packages to the install script, like you can with creating custom installs with WAIK.

#12 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:59 AM

1st, is that 5mbps a misprint, I mean typo? :huh:  High speed & 5Mbps is an oxymoron and don't belong in the sentence :scratchhead:

Anyway...
Maybe I can clarify, things... although, I have heard nothing of this reference to the 25th.

July 29 - The downloads for the Windows 10 GA Installer will begin being deployed.  To any one computer will take about the same length of time to complete the download as w/ the Beta Builds.  These don't go in portions... they start @ 0% to completion @ 100%.  They will be pushed out as of July 29th not, before.

Now, I think I know the source of the confusion...  Windows 10 will go out in 'waves'... Reserves and Insiders will be first.  This is so Microsoft servers will be able to cope w/ the demand... they would be over-stressed & nobody would get it, LOL, if all world simultaneously.  Windows 10 will go out in 'waves' but, the individual downloads do not go out in pieces or portions @ a time over some number of days.

For those who Reserved... once the Download has completed (to your machine) you will be notified, after the fact.  @ that point you have up to 28/7/2016 to do the Upgrade installation to/of Windows 10.  If Reserved the DL is being done for you, ergo, may not be any indication of progress while the DL is being saved to your computer.

Edited by Drew1903, 15 July 2015 - 02:07 AM.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:19 AM

We need articles where it says that the download will start a few days before the release of Windows 10. Personally with my connection, it would take less than 20 minutes to download so it's not an issue for me.

unite_blue.png

#14 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:43 AM

How does this downloading, whether in chunks or all in one go, affect a Tablet  PC with very limited free storage, say 5 GB?  I have the Get W10 app now and it has checked my Tablet. It reports that it is ready, no problems.  Why does it not flag up the limited free storage?  And if I did reserve, how would the DL affect the operation of my existing Windows 8.1?

I had 11 updates arrive today, 14 June.

clayto

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:53 AM

Since the definition of broadband is 25 mbps, a measley 5 mbps is very slow and should be considered antiquated. Anybody that has 5 mbps might live in a very rural area, but in any city that would be grounds for changing your carrier.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/29/7932653/fcc-changed-definition-broadband-25mbps

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users