Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird noise coming from computer.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 munekun

munekun

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:55 PM

I suffered from a BSOD 4 or so days ago and decided to clean out my computer. After turning it back on i haven't experienced a BSOD since but i noticed this annoying semi-loud sound coming from my computer, i can not tell exactly where it is coming from but it's sort of a high-ish pitch ringing that is 100% constant it never varies or skips or anything. It may be that i just never noticed it before until now but i'm starting to worry. I have watched multiple videos of "coil whine" and it just doesn't sound like that, coil whine seems to not be 100% constant and is MUCH, MUCH more high pitch than the sound i am hearing. I'd appreciate any help. If i had to guess i'd say it seems to be aimed more towards the CPU area.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GamingHaste

GamingHaste

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:59 PM

I suffered from a BSOD 4 or so days ago and decided to clean out my computer. After turning it back on i haven't experienced a BSOD since but i noticed this annoying semi-loud sound coming from my computer, i can not tell exactly where it is coming from but it's sort of a high-ish pitch ringing that is 100% constant it never varies or skips or anything. It may be that i just never noticed it before until now but i'm starting to worry. I have watched multiple videos of "coil whine" and it just doesn't sound like that, coil whine seems to not be 100% constant and is MUCH, MUCH more high pitch than the sound i am hearing. I'd appreciate any help. If i had to guess i'd say it seems to be aimed more towards the CPU area.

It might be your CPU dying. Could you record a 10 second clip and upload it so I could compare it?

#3 munekun

munekun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:02 PM

It might be your CPU dying. Could you record a 10 second clip and upload it so I could compare it?

Unfortunately i don't have any way of recording the audio. Do you happen to know of a comparison video so i could tell you if it sounds similar or not? I should also note my computer does not run any slower whatsoever even when the cpu usage is high, the sound also never changes or gets any louder as far as i can tell.

Edited by munekun, 14 July 2015 - 09:08 PM.

#4 GamingHaste

GamingHaste

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:07 PM

Unfortunately i don't have any way of recording the audio. Do you happen to know of a comparison video so i could tell you if it sounds similar or not? I should also note my computer does not run any slower whatsoever even when the cpu usage is high, the sound also never changes changes or gets any louder as far as i can tell.

I'll have a quick look. I'll update this post if I find one.

EDIT: 

Edited by GamingHaste, 14 July 2015 - 09:08 PM.

#5 munekun

munekun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:14 PM

Unfortunately i don't have any way of recording the audio. Do you happen to know of a comparison video so i could tell you if it sounds similar or not? I should also note my computer does not run any slower whatsoever even when the cpu usage is high, the sound also never changes changes or gets any louder as far as i can tell.

I'll have a quick look. I'll update this post if I find one.

EDIT: 

That sound around 0.16 seconds, the odd fluctuation sound. Is that what i should be looking out for?- Oh nevermind i assume that is the camera making that sound. That's not what i'm hearing as far as i can tell, i put my ear up close as possible and it's not nearly as loud as that, i have to get pretty close to hear anything similar to that.

Edited by munekun, 14 July 2015 - 09:20 PM.

#6 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:24 PM

Two things normal make buzzing or electric sound. First stick your finger in every fan... or a pen, probably should use a pen.  That will tell you if the fan is making the noise.  Be careful not to jab hard or you could bust the fins.  Second it is possible the Power Supply is whining.  I have seen many whine and is hard to hear.  That would mean it is time for it to be replaced. 

#7 munekun

munekun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:47 PM

Two things normal make buzzing or electric sound. First stick your finger in every fan... or a pen, probably should use a pen.  That will tell you if the fan is making the noise.  Be careful not to jab hard or you could bust the fins.  Second it is possible the Power Supply is whining.  I have seen many whine and is hard to hear.  That would mean it is time for it to be replaced. 

hi! your advice was 100% correct but i am somewhat more confused now. I found out that it is a fan. I'm nowhere near an expert when it comes to the inside of a computer. i have 3 visible fans inside. one is over a silver colored heatsink [this fan is bigger] and there is a smaller fan over a brass colored heatsink [this is the fan that is causing the sound] Do you know of any way to make it stop it from making this sound? It immediately stops when i temporarily stopped the fan. I assume the silver heatsink is above the CPU but i have no clue what the brass one is for, simply the motherboard? Is it REALLY needed or could i just unplug the fan?

#8 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:53 PM

Send a picture if you can and you will be able to replace it.  What motherboard are you using? Depending on the motherboard it may be needed.  Some motherboards have fans on the North or South Bridges.  They can get hot and may be necessary. Look on the board and find me the motherboard model number and I can tell you what to do next.  

#9 munekun

munekun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:03 PM

Send a picture if you can and you will be able to replace it.  What motherboard are you using? Depending on the motherboard it may be needed.  Some motherboards have fans on the North or South Bridges.  They can get hot and may be necessary. Look on the board and find me the motherboard model number and I can tell you what to do next.  

The board says P5N-D So i assume it is this https://mondeox.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/asus-p5n-d-motherboard-overview.jpg

the bronze heatsink [if that is even what that is. the one with the fan] is the one that is making the sound. -Sorry if this double posted.

#10 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:07 PM

That is an aftermarket fan, It should be fine by just unplugging it. Worst case scenario you could just measure that fan and order a replacement.  I wouldn't worry all to much about it.  

#11 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:10 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119039 You can pick this up, just to be on the safe side and change it out.  Wouldn't be a bad idea just to throw another on it.  I just read a review that said they had some heat problems.  So It won't hurt it but I would recommend picking it up as a precaution. 

#12 munekun

munekun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:10 PM

That is an aftermarket fan, It should be fine by just unplugging it. Worst case scenario you could just measure that fan and order a replacement.  I wouldn't worry all to much about it.  

That is really good news. I've been worrying about it since the sound started and was hoping it was something this simple. Thank you.

#13 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:11 PM

No problem!

#14 munekun

munekun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:12 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119039 You can pick this up, just to be on the safe side and change it out.  Wouldn't be a bad idea just to throw another on it.  I just read a review that said they had some heat problems.  So It won't hurt it but I would recommend picking it up as a precaution. 

Are these as simple as placing on [Possibly with screws i'm really not sure] and plugging into the motherboard?

#15 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:15 PM

Yep super simple.  Unplug it and it is held onto the copper heatsink by 4 snaps.  Then you can take the fan off the bracket. Put the new fan on the bracket and plug it back in.  That's it. 

http://en.thethirdmedia.com/article/200807/show7930c17p5.html Scroll down until you see him putting a fan onto the motherboard.  It is the same model you have. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users