Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not bad for a 13 year old...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GamingHaste

GamingHaste

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:49 PM

Well,

I managed to fix my laptop's non-working touchpad about an hour ago. Started at half 12, finished at quarter to 2. I'll give you the backstory as to why I think this is my life accomplishment.

About 1-2 months ago, I had installed something onto my computer that completely wiped the hard drive. No Windows 8 logo, no bott manager, nothing. I took it down to my local computer shop and left it with them. We popped back in about 3 days after and they said that they could do nothing about it, that it was a pile of garbage.

When me and my dad bought it home, I started it up. I heard a disc whirling in the tray, so I opened it up, There was a Windows 7 install disc. Now because my laptop originally came with Windows 8, it was on UEFI mode. Maybe that's why they couldn't install Windows 7. So I turned UEFI to Legacy, and ran the installer. Went through all the steps, formatted the drive and installed. Half an hour later, it was installed all nice and ready to use. I installed the proper drivers from another PC and I could do anything on it now.

I used an external mouse for this because I had gone off the touchpad for a couple of months before that, so I never thought to use it. The only way I discovered that it didn't work was when my wireless mouse ran out of juice. I moved the touchpad and nothing. So, we took it back to the computer shop. I showed them that I fixed it, and what I did. They didn't seem very impressed, and they said "We did most of the work, you were on a lucky roll". I then told them that the touchpad didn't work. They said "We didn't disconnect the mouse because we didn't need to go near that". That's a whole pile of lies there, because to get to the hard drive (which they tried to reformat at the first go) is underneath the palm rest. So, we went home and I used the wireless mouse until tonight.

I got a thought into my head that I wanted to fix something, and my laptop was the only thing I could think of. I followed a tutorial on how to take off the palm rest and followed the steps. I had to get my dad to help undo a couple of stubborn screws but I did 90% of it.

Once I put it back together, I crossed my fingers and turned it on. It turned on, which was a good sign. Then came the login screen: would the touchpad work? I moved it... and it worked! It turns out that the wire for the touchpad was loose, so much for them 'Not touching it'!

So yeah, I'm happy now. I have another PC that needs more RAM and a processor upgrade, so that's my next task. =)

Thanks for reading this monster of a post and hopefully you don't think of me as a gloater (if that word exists).

- GamingHaste (or Ryan for short) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:45 PM

Great job. I remember when I first started around 13 and then got an internship at 16 and now at 22 I can fix almost anything when I am determined.  Overtime and as things break you will just get better.  Don't give up and just keep at it.  Learn a lot from forums and keep up on the latest tech news.  Also I am surprised you noticed the uefi and windows 7.  It is really sad your local pc store didnt even realize.  

#3 GamingHaste

GamingHaste
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:37 PM

Great job. I remember when I first started around 13 and then got an internship at 16 and now at 22 I can fix almost anything when I am determined.  Overtime and as things break you will just get better.  Don't give up and just keep at it.  Learn a lot from forums and keep up on the latest tech news.  Also I am surprised you noticed the uefi and windows 7.  It is really sad your local pc store didnt even realize.  

Thank you, =)

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:30 AM

First.. good job on fixing things yourself it is always cheaper that way.  Second. How were you able to activate windows without a valid Authorization code (since yours came with windows 8.  Third- Even though I am sure the shop may have possibly caused the lose wire in the touchpad, there really was no reason to remove the drive if they were attempting to re-install windows.  But since it's all fixed now you can give yourself a pat on the back!

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:59 PM

Those guys at the local shop sound like some real clowns.  They seem to abound in that market.  You've learned the first lesson in servicing anything.  Dis-assembly can be difficult to achieve without further damage.  Checking clean and tight ribbon cable connections solves most faults with touch pads.  I hate them, keep brushing a shirt cuff across them and sending things into never-neverland while typing.

#6 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,587 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:05 PM

Kudos to you @ Gaming Haste!

Awesome tenacity on your part!  It's extremely exciting to read what you have accomplished; and yes at age 13 is a job well done!

Keep going, experiment, learn the "cancel" box if you're not sure what you're doing!  That's how I learned when attempting new inquiries about the computer!

Eventually you will never again need to take your computer(s) to a shop.  You will learn to solve all of your hardware and software problem yourself. Right here in Bleeping Computer you will find answers to common problems, or you can post your own!

Clap your hands...hug yourself...YOU are doing it young man!

Yay!  :bounce:

#7 GamingHaste

GamingHaste
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:17 PM

First.. good job on fixing things yourself it is always cheaper that way.  Second. How were you able to activate windows without a valid Authorization code (since yours came with windows 8.  Third- Even though I am sure the shop may have possibly caused the lose wire in the touchpad, there really was no reason to remove the drive if they were attempting to re-install windows.  But since it's all fixed now you can give yourself a pat on the back!

Thank you. I never made to activate Windows 7, so I had to redownload the Dell OEM of Windows 8 to activate. I think the reason that they removed the hard drive was to format the drive on another computer, but they said they failed. =)

Those guys at the local shop sound like some real clowns.  They seem to abound in that market.  You've learned the first lesson in servicing anything.  Dis-assembly can be difficult to achieve without further damage.  Checking clean and tight ribbon cable connections solves most faults with touch pads.  I hate them, keep brushing a shirt cuff across them and sending things into never-neverland while typing.

Thanks! They might've known what they were doing, but then again maybe they didn't care. I also don't wear long-sleeved shirts, so I never have that problem! =P

Kudos to you @ Gaming Haste!

Awesome tenacity on your part!  It's extremely exciting to read what you have accomplished; and yes at age 13 is a job well done!

Keep going, experiment, learn the "cancel" box if you're not sure what you're doing!  That's how I learned when attempting new inquiries about the computer!

Eventually you will never again need to take your computer(s) to a shop.  You will learn to solve all of your hardware and software problem yourself. Right here in Bleeping Computer you will find answers to common problems, or you can post your own!

Clap your hands...hug yourself...YOU are doing it young man!

Yay!  :bounce:

Thank you! I'm going to be attempting to replace and repaste a CPU and install some RAM in my old Dell Optiplex. My parents said that I'm on my way to a successful career, and I'll try to learn the cancel box. =)

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:20 AM

Omg that sounds like me with the touchpad! Then they have that pinch your fingers to zoom options and two fingers to scroll. That was driving me absolutely nuts. I swear I was using one finger and every page I went to would suddenly zoom way in or way out or some other crazy thing. I disabled those and never looked back LOL.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:15 AM

It wasn't just me, the wife's Lenovo touch pad drove her nuts.  Thankfully they included a function key to disable it.  She likes the mouse better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users