Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP will not restore

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nwitch

nwitch

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 30 November 2004 - 09:02 PM

Sounds like there are some really knowledgeable folks here from the posts I've read. My son gave me a Sony Vaio, P4 super fast computer. He did not give me the original boot discs, etc. It came with XP pre-installed, and I wiped it clean in August, not restore, but another tool that takes the main drive back to factory installed configuration. I am having trouble with programs, word perfect is giving me errors, it tries to re-install then gives me error:
cannot find file DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WORDP\
error 1706 fatl error during installation.

Mozilla Firefox just dumped all my bookmarks, toolbars, etc one day. Had to re-install it.
Veritas Software CD program randomly tries to install itself if I am trying to install a new program.
I have run Norton everything, no virus or other problem I can find. Also a number of fix-it utilities (registry mechanic, PC rescue)
I probably deleted something as I was cleaning.
So I need help. I want to take my C drive back to original settings. I have the startup discs I made just after my last start-over, but they keeo asking for a second CD. Have no idea what it wants, but I don't have it. :thumbsup:
Help, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2004 - 10:14 AM

not restore, but another tool that takes the main drive back to factory installed configuration.

by the factory installed configuation you mean you found the
sony discs? i have had some experience with viao laptops... and
they are pretty picky about the the discs you use to install...

i tried to use a standard XP home disc on a viao and ended
up with a machine that would "crash on command"... but the
same machine (when the student found the original CDs)
boots stabily every time and works great...

--rex
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

#3 nwitch

nwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2004 - 02:34 PM

The tool I refer to is the Recovery wizard. It is supposed to take you back to square one, and I have done it before, but now it is asking for a second CD (you make a recovery disc using thr recovery wizard) My recovery disc from August should work, but it keeps asking me for a second disc. It worked easily last time I did this, without the original discs.
Also I found another error (notes everywhere, found this last night)

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\0701\Intel32\DotNetInstaller.exe" cannot access a necessary file, "mscoree.dll."

I think this was the first error I got , it's been going downhill since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users