Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem upon booting. 'Overclocking failed', and white screen.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 no_life_liam

no_life_liam

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:03 PM

Hi all. My name's Liam and I'm new to the forums.

About a week ago, I bought a second hand pc from a guy with the intention of gaming. I got the computer last night and it was running all fine and dandy, and I spent most of the night installing microsoft updates. 

When I got the chance I used a usb to install the drivers for my wireless network adapter (PC has no optical drive), and the wireless was set up fine.

Afterwards I downloaded AVG free and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, these both worked fine also.

Before I went to sleep I had League of Legends downloading, and I awoke during the night to see it had finished. All good there, I shut down the computer and went to sleep.

When I woke up I booted the PC. The blue light turned on and I could hear the fan working, however, my mouse/keyboard hadn't lit up yet and my screen said 'HDMI no output', and nothing was on screen. I turned off the computer and restarted it about 3 times with the same problem, until I finally got to an ASUS screen that said 'overclocking failed' and had me look at all the computer stats and such. I wound up just booting it normally and it was running fine, for about 5 minutes.

I got onto google to search the problem, and my screen turned white. Nothing happened for a while, the PC was still running, my peripherals still working, but I couldn't do a thing, so I shut down the PC using the turn off button.

The same thing happened again, took about 3-4 tries and it booted again, but this time with the 'System didn't shut down properly' screen. I chose to boot it normally, and after about 5 minutes (while I was browsing the internet for solutions), the screen stuttered and turned to a mess of vertical purple lines.

I left it for a while after turning it off, and (yep, you guessed it) after 3-4 tries I booted it again. Now it's running fine, I'm installing updates and restarted my PC to install them properly and it's fine.

I'm worried to turn off my PC now, and was wondering if anybody could shed some light on all of this. I'm a bit of a computer amateur, so me opening the case and taking a look is probably out of the question... here is a list of my parts according to the auction - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=914220703

AMD FX 8320 Black Edition 3.5Ghz 8 Core 
Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 
Power colour HD 7850 PCS+ 
FSP Hyper 500w PSU 
Cooler master Case K280 
Cooler master Cooler Hyper 212X 
320gb Harddrive 

8 GB DDR3 Ram 

It was given a fresh install of windows but I had to do all of the updates myself.

Thanks a lot for any help

Liam.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:41 PM

Liam, 

Have you been in the bios and changed anything?  There is a few things that sound fishy.  First is that it is having post problems.  This could be a few different things. One is heat.  If you get a chance download. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html Download the Zip or the exe on the left hand side.  This should show you the heat amount for the cpu and gpu.  This might shed some light on the problem.  Second it could be a bad cpu or memory.  Cpus going bad is really rare but I have had two 8350s die on me at the shop I work at.  So if you can you need to test the memory.  You said you don't have an optical drive which will make this challenging but the best is a program called memtest x86. http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm You can make a bootable usb but it is kind of a pain.  

Hope this helps,

Chris

#3 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:44 PM

One more thing.  It sounds like Asus auto AI tweaker is on.  That should be turned off. You shouldn't need to overclock your cpu right now. That will all be under the bios.  Go under the advanced menu and the go to AI tweaker and set it from D.O.C.P to A.M.P.  I think that will solve that problem. Sometimes Asus overclocker sets it to high then the machine become unstable. 

#4 no_life_liam

no_life_liam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:55 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I shut down the PC to see if it would do it again and it has. The light turns on and fan works but nothing else happens. It ended up starting to load, but then I got huge blue/red lines going across the screen and then it just turned blue. If I can get to the bios screen I will.

Also, I did get into bios earlier and change it from the performance option to just normal.

EDIT: Temperature (according to the bios screen) was 35 degrees Celsius idling.

Edited by no_life_liam, 14 July 2015 - 08:56 PM.

#5 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:57 PM

It sounds like you might have a bad part somewhere.  If it won't even post. Pull all your memory out and put just one stick in.  Make sure it is seated well.  If it posts just fine you might have a memory problem.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users