Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Medium size network problem switches, routers, DNS problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 markwitha-k

markwitha-k

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:15 PM

Ok , so il try and explain as best as I can ..

my work has routers and switches across the building , the router or group of computers in question is the ones in the top office wich are connected to router lets call it "office router" .  now a few pc's connect to this router from the contractors office and all the pc's seem to drop connection or get limited connection issues using WIFI or Wired in  , and other times .. DNS errors cant be reached and so on ... I have replaced that router and the problem persists , now I am not using the WAN port , just the 4 others to connect them into the network. now I have all the pc's set to auto detect ip and DNS settings so they dont get conflicted.  Has anyone had this type of error with success in fixing it?   I am now believing that it could just be a bad wire running from the server room? because it works perfectly fine at random it kicks employee's from the point of sale  software screens as well.     Any idea's ?  or comments ?

Thanks in advance guys!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:45 PM

Do you possibly have a violation of the 5-4-3 Rule?

Has  this ever worked?  Very rarely does quality wiring go bad, when it does there is usually an outside source of the problem.

Why are you using a router and not a switch?  To provide wireless access?  If so, here's a tutorial on setting up a router as a wireless access point (WAP)

What is providing DNS and DHCP?

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:39 PM

The 5-4-3 rule doesn't apply to switches though even with switches there are rules for good design.

We need a diagram of what equipment connected to what. Odds are wha'ts in the server room sounds saturated.

#4 markwitha-k

markwitha-k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:17 PM

ok , il get a screen shot of the map tomorrow when i go in. 

Thanks for the advice so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users