Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to clone win8.1 and 7 hard drives before 10 fxxxs ups

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lewis12398

lewis12398

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

i would like to have copys of all my hard drives. i hope windows 10 work like it should but i do not have any trust in microsoft  it could be worse than 8 i don't know how that got on the market.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:16 PM

Why not make a system image instead of cloning ? Saving images on another partition is highly recommended.

#3 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:25 PM

If you got multiple hard drives, cloning them all might be a painful work. It will take a lot of time and space.

I agree with Firehouse about making a system image.  As you know that the data will remain untouched if you just upgrade the system.

Anyway, for disk clone you can try clonezilla or disk copy. For system image, you can try acronis true image, free easeus todo backup, and paragon backup.

#4 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:16 PM

Acronis true image is great.  For actual imaging, but everyone is right that takes up a significant amount of space.  

#5 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:38 AM

From 65GB content of my hard drive my image is 40 GB.

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:05 AM

Yeah, clone.  But the smartest way to do it, is to clone your internal drive to another internal drive fit for your machine;  Plugable (at Amazon) makes a dock for internal drives so put the drive in it or something like it, for simplest cloning. 

Images take a long time to be restored.  But a clone is immediately usable, live bootable copy.  Takes 20 mins to clone 70 GB and then you can clone back if you don't like the installation.  I've done cloning a lot, using Clonezilla, Macrium;  but there are other cloning programs, too.  Lemme know if you want more details, or ask someone else here.

Like the other posters said, cloning takes up space;  yet you only ask to protect the drive on which you might install Win10.  DO install Win10 to a separate partition, and DO make sure your theme in your current OS is what you like, because even when I clean installed Win10 to a separate partition, it 'copied' the first theme I had in Win8.0, which pre-update to 8.1, was on the other partition.

Edited by brainout, 15 July 2015 - 03:07 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#7 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:23 AM

Mine took 7 minutes.

#8 lewis12398

lewis12398
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:56 PM

thank you for helping some great advice.  I would like to start or read about this win 10 update thing. win 8.1 had the trusted installer thing that you can not change a lot things, it looks to me that microsoft now wants total control of updates. what do yo think. my first look I don't that i want 10 if you know a thread that is started please let me know if not could we start one thank you all very much.

lewis12398

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:04 PM

Hey, lewis12398!

Well, the question of whether to adopt Windows 10 requires a lot of thought.  Pretty much all the threads here are about that, for all of us are thinking over the same question, too.  That's why I'm here so much right now.  So too, many others.

Maybe the better approach is to sit down yourself and ask what you want your computer to do, that it's not doing for you.  And, what you really like about what you have, that you want to keep.

Does this make sense?  The idea is, if you know what you're looking for, and looking to avoid, it will be easier to decide.  Right?

So you told us that you like 7(?) but not 8.  Windows 10 is a mix of both.  So why not look at it yourself.  Here's a list of videos I found in Youtube, showing Windows 10 live onscreen.  You can just click on those links and watch their videos, read the comments of the other folks who watched them, see if their ideas help you?

You have a year to decide.  No need to feel anxious.

Edited by brainout, 17 July 2015 - 10:15 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#10 lewis12398

lewis12398
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

thanks you all i have been thinking about the windows 10 it seems to me Microsoft is going to have control and not anything you can do about it. there are several company's in the computer and the auto field's and others trying to biuld a case to take to the supreme court this proably over simple but if you buy a car and have a flat you can not change it only they can. in short you pay for it but you do not own it. do a little research on google's car. just say they want you to go away you get in your car it locks the doors and dirves off a cliff just a bug in the system.i think that trusted installer was all about that how much will people will accept if they came out said we are going to have total control of the computer to turn on the camera and mic to keep track any time we want by the way goggle just got caught doing that they claim they do not use it if they don't who does why is it in chrome? if you have chrome its on your computer. if they had told you would not buy it. you would have to do a little at a time. if i got mad at the computer and beat all to peices is that a crime. i do not support that as for myself i am going to boycott goggle and Microsoft .                   what do you think                  thanks lewis12398

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:14 PM

Understood, lewis.  I think MSFT will have to fix this communication problem, if indeed that's all it is.  Serious miscalculation on its part, as to what people will accept.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users