Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading from Server 2003 (Exchange 2007) to 2008 (2010) - New Server

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Coolhead2001

Coolhead2001

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

Good Afternoon,

About eight months ago, I took over as Network Administrator for a non-profit organization.  So please bear with me.  I've maintained plenty of environments, but haven't had the pleasure of doing major upgrades -- (I guess I've been lucky/cursed with well maintained environments in the past).  So this is new terrain or me, and I need some help.  The last thing I want to do is blow up our mail. 

Putting it simply, we have Exchange Server 2007 running on a Server 2003 SP2 box. 

My understanding is that you can not do an in place upgrade to the same box in this scenario, so I've built a new Server 2008 R2 SP1 VM, and intend on installing Exchange Server 2010 onto it. 

Now, I've been searching for information on the web on exactly what the best practices approach would be in this case, and have even used the Exchange Server Deployment Assistant.  Unfortunately, and much to my surprise, I'm not seeing a whole lot of resources on how to do what I'm trying to do.  It's either upgrading Exchange 2007 to 2010 on an existing 2008 R2 Server, or building from scratch.

What I really need (for expediency and accuracy) is a step by step guide on how to drag us out of the now expired world of Server 2003, migrate our exchange, and all of this without impacting users. 

Help! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:58 PM

I have never done it but cant you mount the database files from 2007 to 2010?

Im sure there is a migration path to choose from mate, have you looked at this blokes blogs?

http://exchangeserverpro.com/

#3 Coolhead2001

Coolhead2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:11 AM

Thanks, JohnnyJammer.  I did end up finding a resource that offers a step by step route to deploying a new exchange box and migrating the mailbox from the old exchange over to the new one.  It's just what I need so I'm not shooting from the hip on this.  Appreciated, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users