Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Blocks Adobe Flash

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

Firefox blocks Flash, and Facebook calls for its death - Jul. 14, 2015

QUOTE: Mozilla blocked Flash by default in its Firefox browser late Monday night, a day after Facebook's (FB, Tech30) security chief called for Adobe to kill Flash once and for all.

The Flash-bashing picked up last week after revelations that the spyware giant known as the Hacking Team had been using Flash to remotely take over people's computers and infect them with malware. (That discovery took place after the Hacking Team was itself hacked. Documents revealed in the breach showed that the Hacking Team exploited two critical vulnerabilities in Flash's code.)................

This company sells spy tools to evil governments - Jul. 6, 2015

QUOTE: We know dictatorships spy on innocent people. And now we know where they buy their tools -- from a tiny Italian company in Milan.

It's called Hacking Team. And the world knows about it, because Hacking Team has been hacked.

On Sunday, a massive load of stolen documents were uploaded to the Internet. It revealed contracts, invoices and internal presentations of Hacking Team. And it offered a glimpse into a shadowy world of selling high-powered cyber weapons -- even to genocidal maniacs..............

149473_600.jpg

Edited by buddy215, 14 July 2015 - 12:09 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:04 PM

I'm in a group of gamers for a Facebook game that requires Flash, and a lot of them have been panicking earlier in the day when they could not access the game due to Firefox blocking Flash (and thus breaking the game).

Get those ported to HTML5 first, then we can get rid of Flash.

#3 Aurora900

Aurora900

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

I'm in a group of gamers for a Facebook game that requires Flash, and a lot of them have been panicking earlier in the day when they could not access the game due to Firefox blocking Flash (and thus breaking the game).

Get those ported to HTML5 first, then we can get rid of Flash.

I'm sorry but flash games don't take priority over system security... Think about how many businesses lose money every year to employees going on facebook and playing games.  I work for a computer shop and there is not a day where I don't have to remove malware from a computer at a business.  Some of these people are having their machines get infected to the point of being useless every month.  These games are where the malware is coming from half the time.  I hope chrome and IE follow and disable these horrible outdated and insecure protocols.  I've started deploying software to specifically combat malware, which is yet another cost for these businesses, but a cost that outweighs me spending 3 hours on site removing malware from all their computers....

I do think the update should have come with a warning though... they should have at least said hey, we turned of flash just so you know.

Edited by Aurora900, 14 July 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

Personally I don't have any issue with disabling Flash, but for those people it's a necessary evil.

The games themselves do not infect your computer... it is when people enabled Flash to play games, then surf somewhere else then there is a problem. I have Firefox with Flash enabled (and updated) just to play that game, everything else is done on Google Chrome with Flash disabled.

Still have yet to heard a response from the companies that make these games, I'd like to know how they react.

#5 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,398 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:23 PM

Mozilla’s Mark Schmidt says that once the “publicly known vulnerabilities” are fixed, Firefox will stop actively blocking Flash.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:28 PM

An update for Flash is out already. When the user installs that update then Firefox will work normally.

#7 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:25 PM

I wonder why if you type up on google "hacking team" there website is the first result, they are doing potentially illegal stuff so why wouldn't google ban the website from it's search results?

they call me te java mayster

#8 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:44 AM

Burn Adobe go down the hole

#9 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,398 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:52 AM

An update for Flash is out already. When the user installs that update then Firefox will work normally.

Yep, My Ubuntu got the update this morning. I noticed yesterday that Firefox gave a choice to allow Flash or not after warning about how extremely dangerous it was. :)

I wonder why if you type up on google "hacking team" there website is the first result, they are doing potentially illegal stuff so why wouldn't google ban the website from it's search results?

If they were actually doing the hacking and not just selling a product....then I'm sure they would get black listed.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,701 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:05 AM

This is what I find confusing about computers being hacked, compromised, whatever

--- I’m not defending Flash but what is the alternative?

--- Also on “Burn Adobe go down the hole”, what is the alternative?

There are calls to block Flash and even for its death.

OK, where are the calls to block or even for the death of the spyware giant Hacking Team

Every time I read about hacked accounts, systems etc. there’s always a hacking group behind it so there is plenty of company around besides the spyware giant Hacking Team around

So Mozilla Firefox and Facebook have issues with Flash: I get it and I don’t blame them

How about the games out there that essentially “support” spyware generating companies?

Naturally if Flash wrote better code to avoid all events such as this one it would be great but with some umpteen computers around the world, there are umpteen bad guys just around the corner just waiting to pounce on to do the damage they do and it isn’t always Flash that’s involved

#11 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

Who even plays Flash games when you've got tons of offline games?

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#12 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:52 PM

Like your comment yes offline games are best

#13 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:54 PM

With offline games you can actually utilize the power of your PC (which is why those games are way better).

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#14 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:08 PM

but even so offline games are good, you don't really get the experience of playing with your friends

they call me te java mayster

#15 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:11 AM

Friends ah but the days of old computing were fun with offline games and plus we didn't need friends to play, because it's still a lot of fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users