Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:18 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 530S desktop that won't start.  We started having issues with it a couple of months ago when it would shut down on it's own (if I remember correctly the light on the start button would be flashing orange).  Now it won't start at all.  I've tried unplugging it and also holding down the start button but nothing seems to work.  Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

Is there an extra power supply laying about? I would try a known working PSU before going much further.

Just a couplle cents worh but a decent beginning.

#3 pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

Thanks bludgard.  I tried a power supply from another Dell desktop and the computer still won't turn on.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

Not to be captain obvious but.. are you sure that the power supply from ' another dell desktop ' was working before putting it in ' the one your trying to get working?  And.. If so- did you try a different wall jack/ power cord .. if all that fails then you could have a bad power button switch.

#5 pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:48 PM

Yes, the power cord works with another computer.  And I already checked the outlet.  Would the computer start shutting down as I mentioned in my initial post if it was a bad power switch?

By the way, I forgot to mention that when the initial issue with the computer shutting down and the blinking power button happened, the fan would always be running very loudly.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:24 PM

Well I wonder if you have a malfunctioning part .. you can try one stick of memory at a time ... then try video card .. obviously check all the connections inside to make sure you didn't nock something loose when you ' switched power supplies '

This page seems to have the most info.

#7 pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:34 PM

I tried removing memory and video cards one at a time with no luck.  Any other thoughts/suggestions?

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:56 PM

let's see...

you started having problems with it a couple of months ago, the PC was shutting down spontaneously, now it won't turn on at all, and you get the blinking amber light.

ok, are you hearing any beeps on power up? those are motherboard codes that can reveal any hardware  issues.

spontaneous shut-downs are indicative of a degraded power supply as are the lack of initialization steps prior to the windows boot.

that looks to be a full size mini-tower, the power supply should be a relatively easy/inexpensive installation as a cheapie 400 watt (around $30) would prolly suffice. if you have a best buy or similar in the neighborhood you can pick one up in person, or we can suggest a newegg or wal-mart  mail-order unit.

this syndrome is all too common with OEM PCs, their power supplys are lackluster at best, barely enough to run the machine, and over time they need replacement.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#9 pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:06 PM

Thanks Synergy.  Actually no lights come on at the on/off button at all....the PC is totally dead.  So a PSU replace shout fix the problem?  How many watts and what manufacturer/model should I buy?  It looks like there is a Bestec 250w unit in there now?

What other upgrades would make sense (PC is VERY slow and I know the hard drive was pretty full)?  Is it possible to rebuild this PC one component at a time?

#10 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:24 PM

I can suggest a replacement power supply from wal-mart, you can drop in the store customer service area or electronics area, give them your info, laydown some meager cash, and pick it up a week later, then install. if it turns out that you don't solve the issue with the power supply, then take it back for a refund within a time, easy as a brisk walk.

when considering upgrades, i look at the cpu, if you have a upwardly clock-boosted core 2 over 2.5 ghz , then that is worthy. if it is an old-school pentium 4, then...no

anywho, i noticed this puppy for decent bucks

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EVGA-500W-Power-Supply-Unit-80PLUS-12V-100-W1-0500-KR/34943213

you may want to consider a newegg refurb deal on a new condition refurb, for about the same amount of cash you would spend on an upgrade, you get the whole kit-n-victual with a decent cpu and the windows license with restore capablility if you get that nasty windows 10 or malware  forced down your pipe.

i noticed this screamer with the renowned e8400 cpu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7RB2VM9342

with a replacement PC, what you can do is simply uninstall your old hard drive from the inspiron and hook it into your new motherboard and viola, ..your data is right where you left off.

it seems simple enough, but if not, you have the vast Bleeping knowledge base and your post contributors to guide you along.

Edited by synergy513, 30 August 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#11 pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:27 PM

Thanks. I checked and this is the processor I have:

PROCESSOR, E6550, 2.33, 4MB, CORE DUO-CONROE

I also found out I have these too:

Hard Drive, 320G, S2, 7.2K, 16M Unleaded, Seagate-GL
Kit, Compact Diskette, Driver, OUGA5/OPGA5, 2

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 1G, 667M, 128X64, 8, 240, 2RX8
CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, 2400, PROFESSIONAL, LOOP, OUGA5

#12 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:53 AM

ok .. that is a decent cpu . so a power supply upgrade is cool. that 500 watt EVGA is prime component enabling hardware. .

The RAM is indeed in a struggling state.  this could be what is causing the sluggish response behavior. RAM is there to avoid accessing the hard drive when the cpu is allocating memory adress space, if it maxes out, the hard drive is then addressed for memory, causing the slow response that you describe. unfortunately, DELL and the like OEM PCs are sensitive about RAM their motherboard will take so that means upgrading your RAM will be a hit-or-miss scenario....it could be a breeze and on the same token, be a bleep . i would need to get a speccy snapshot of your computer to see the ram config you have now and see what the optimum upgrade would be.

you can pull up your task manager using ctrl+alt+del to check the RAM usage. that is what i  use....it would be under "performance"

but until then, you can use the msconfig from the run command line to uncheck the unnecessary items in the startup there that are loading into RAM at boot-up and over-taxing your RAM resources.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Edited by synergy513, 31 August 2015 - 01:06 AM.

#13 pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:10 AM

Thanks Synergy513.  I had actually ran Speccy awhile back when I was trying to improve speed (I can't now until I get a new power supply).  I haven't changed the hardware since running Speccy.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/lPvGYlNAKbAw1VHkWkPBKMQ

By the way, I'm not sure the EVGA PSU will fit in my console.  I've read that I need a "TFX" PSU (because of the slim console)?

Edited by pmsmith2032, 31 August 2015 - 09:59 AM.

#14 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:20 PM

ok, you have 2gb RAM, which should be fine with a 32 bit OS.  i always aim for the 3gb, but 2gb is fine. my 32 bit XP PC rarely ever goes over 1 gb usage anyway

i looked up that desktop model, it looked like a standard mini-tower, but then the S at the end of the model name should have been indicative...   i saw these Seasonics in the TFX form factor.. it looks like they top out at 350 watts,

http://www.seasonicusa.com/tfx.htm

retailed at newegg..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151153

seasonics are the best in the business, avoid sparkle

Edited by synergy513, 31 August 2015 - 02:43 PM.

#15 pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:48 PM

Thanks synergy.  So what else could be causing slow startup and web navigation?  Could the fact that the RAM is only 332MHZ be a problem?  Could the fact that our hard drive is almost full be an issue?  Is there any benefit in changing from 32 bit to 64 bit or even changing to another version of Windows?  Should I think about reformatting my hard drive?

I think I'll buy two extra sticks of RAM just to be safe.....do these seem like they will work:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/inspiron-530s/CT700736

Edited by pmsmith2032, 31 August 2015 - 03:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users