Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU causing monitor issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:20 AM

From time to time, my graphics card makes my primary monitor do what it does in the attached picture. That being said, I'm not sure it's entirely the graphics card at fault (or the monitor for that matter, it's happened on different monitors)
It's happened multiple times on my R7 250x and now it's been a few times with the R9 280
It's also happened under two separate power supplies too.
So, different monitors, different GPU's and different Power Supplies. That's 3 things we can (probably) rule out.

Processor: FX 6300 
Motherboard: Asus M5a97 LE R2.0
RAM: 2x4gb Kingston Value Ram 1600mhz 
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 watt
GPU: MSI R9 280

Temps are always normal, and my norm is between 30-65 for both the GPU and CPU, Idle and under load, depending on room temperature. I keep an eye on those. I'm not nearly a professional, but I still don't see the issue. I don't know what's causing it, the only thing I know to call it is VRAM corruption even though the two problems look different.

Can anyone at least tell me what the problem is called? or if you know what might be causing it?
Any help is the bomb, thanks for your time

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:50 AM

just a shot in the dark. Are you using the same Cord to connect the monitors. or is it a different one for both monitors that had the issue?

#3 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:57 AM

HDMI for my LG 22mp56 and VGA for my secondary, which is an old acer, at the moment.
But I've tested it before, if I remove the HDMI from my primary, making the secondary primary, the same image as shown in the picture would be on the other monitor. Has also happened on another old monitor via VGA and a crappy tv via hdmi.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:06 PM

Download DDU (and be sure to choose not to install any 3rd party softwares)  Download the latest drivers for your video card but don't install them.  Run DDU and choose Nvidia (if you used to have an Nvidia card in the machine) choose clean and restart.  Then run DDU again and choose ATI and choose clean and restart.  Cancel any windows automatic looking for drivers and then install the drivers for the video card you downloaded previously.  I recommend also temporarily disabling any anti virus during the install of your new drivers.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 14 July 2015 - 12:06 PM.

#5 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:21 AM

Problem seemed to have resolved itself by the time you posted. Flickering went away over time. Was present even without being connected to my pc, 
but i will do a driver cleanup reinstall, just in case. thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users