Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to tell if a partition contains the XP OS?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:07 AM

Hope this is the correct forum.

I have a dual boot of XP and Win 7 and want to know which or if a partition has the XP.

By right clicking on a drive partition in Disk Management and then to 'Explore' shows some files.

What in that Explore window would indicate If this partition contains the XP OS?  

Any help please = thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:25 AM

Assuming we're talking about similar looking 32 bit installations, hover the mouse pointer over something like a system utility .exe file, say regedit.exe in the Windows folder, in the file properties dialog that pops up the File Version will start with 5.1 for XP and 6.1 for Win 7.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for that - I'll try it when I open that computer up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users