Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delay opening Desktop Folders if nothing is clicked for 30 seconds!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Altomar718

Altomar718

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:51 AM

Hi All

Hoping somebondy can help with an issue I have please ...

After I boot my Windows 7 (6gb RAM) SSD drive laptop, if I open anything on the desktop, there is a delay - it opens the white box (which is blank), then after a some seconds, it populates with the contents of the folder. After that, I can open anything on the desktop time and time again and it will open instantly with all the contents showing - - BUT - - if I open something else (browsing the internet for example) or working within a program OR do not click anything on the desktop for 30 SECONDS (I have timed it) the dealy happens again !!!

I open a desktop folder from the start - delay - - - open them again perfect for as long as you want - leave the mouse alone for 30 seconds and then open something - delay again ...........

I have used countless Malware, Adware and virus checkers, registry cleaners etc. Used MSCONFIG, closed all at start up and tried it but it still does it - I tired it in Safe Mode and it works perfectly ........ I have done a )poor) video on YouTube to show the fault, however, the delay is often longer than shown) -

Thanks in advance for any replies

Chris

Edited by Altomar718, 14 July 2015 - 04:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:52 PM

Have you checked your RAM to ensure that you are not using it up? In short, I am asking if it is possible that you are thrashing your hard drive because you just don't have enough RAM to run the system, so what is in memory works great until it isn't used for a bit and the OS places it on the HD for retrieval later using virtual RAM. Even an SSD has a delay in read and write, it isn't RAM.

Just because you have 6GB of RAM listed doesn't mean your system is actually using it. You might have a bad stick, bad bay, or you have so much running in the background that it is full. It is possible even that the RAM itself is the cause of the delay, especially if it has a slow clock speed or is dying.

To be honest there is not enough information provided without viewing the video (I am at work, so cannot do so) to think it is anything other than a RAM issue.

edit - added statement after reviewing original posting and noticed that RAM amount was mentioned.

Edited by wing987, 14 July 2015 - 01:55 PM.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#3 Altomar718

Altomar718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the reply wing987, but I cant see it is a RAM issue as if you go into a shortcut for the same directory (eg My Photographs) to open directly from D: (the HDD is partitioned C: & D) - the folder will open immediately - open the same folder from the desktop via a shortcut - delay ......

Edited by Altomar718, 14 July 2015 - 05:31 PM.

#4 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:36 PM

Have you defragged your hard drive recently?  Often times the auto defrag doesn't do a good job.  I would run it 4-5 times and let it go through the process.  The windows defrag works great even though it doesn't show you what it is doing.  Also you might check to see if your ssd is having a problem.  Even though they should be sporting crazy fast speeds not all are created equal.  Could you send the model number of your ssd?  

#5 Altomar718

Altomar718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:41 AM

The SSD is a Samsung 840 Evo 500gb and I rea on the internet and heard that you should not defrag SSD and they are not like a physical drive, have immediate access to data no mater where is is stored and they have a shelf life depending on how many accesses of data you use and defragging 'wears them out' - I cant see it is a hardware issue as like I said above, if I go into Windows Explorer and open a folder from the drive shortcut - immediate - open the same folder from a shortcut on the desktop - delay !

#6 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:14 AM

Yeah sorry forgot it was an ssd for a moment. Use ssd life pro and see what the smart health is at.

#7 Altomar718

Altomar718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

blarg214 - Screen shot fro life

I really believe the problem is to do with the desktop as that is where the delay occurs

Attached Files

#8 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

Yeah that has to be some sort of windows problem.  Sorry I always verify the hardware is running correctly before anything else.  You might try running in your command prompt a sfc /scannow.  That checks the windows system files.  Sometimes if there is something funny either that or chkdsk /r will repair it.  

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:01 PM

I would run the chkdsk /r command...and take a look at the errors reflected in Event Viewer (for clues).

Louis

#10 Altomar718

Altomar718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

I have tried sfc /scannow and also rebooted with chkdsk /r but still have the problem - but - - - thanks for the help !

#11 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:07 PM

Type event viewer into your start bar, then open it.  Go to custom logs and then click on administrative events.  Take a screen shot of that window when it is full sized. 

#12 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:27 PM

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2816253 might be useful to you here.

You could also check and see if the TRIM command is operating (required for proper SSD use)

In the command prompt, type:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If it returns a 1, then the command is not running.  To enable it, type:

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0 

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#13 Altomar718

Altomar718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:02 PM

Wing987 - It is enabled as it returns a 0

Blarg214 - I will attach a Word document with the information - Not that it means a thing to me !!!

Attached Files

Edited by Altomar718, 17 July 2015 - 01:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users