Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Driver Support

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dancemat

dancemat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:10 AM

Hello Everyone,

Just wondering how many of you have tried to run Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 drivers in Windows 10, and the level of success you have achieved?

I've tried to research an official answer from MS on this but could only come up with this article:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn941239%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I know it's early days for Windows 10 yet, but I was hoping we would have a bit more info on drivers. I don't like this uncertainy, I have fairly recent hardware. Within the last few years. All are more than capable of running Windows 7.

I know a lot of manufactures will still be doing their internal testing. But it doesn't give them that long when we only have a year to get a 'free' upgrade.

I won't be upgrading my installs, I will be starting from a clean install. I hope the ISO's will be availble from day one. As I understand the upgrades are being rolled out in waves.

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DAVID SHELDON

DAVID SHELDON

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:13 AM

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-fix-driver-issues-in-windows-10-3585016/

this link will remain helpful for you.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:25 AM

Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 drivers are retrocompatible with each others (except if it's specialized piece of hardware). Therefore, all of these should work with Windows 10 (naturally, you'll try to take the highest available if the manufacturer doesn't have support for Windows 10, so Windows 8.1 in that case). One thing that might block you is the packaged installers, which will tell you that your operating system version isn't supported. All you need to do is to extract the .exe or .msi and then proceed to install the drivers manually from the Device Manager by selecting the install location and pointing it at the folder containing the extracted content of that installer (the .exe or .msi).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:43 AM

i think windows 7, 8 driver will not work on windows 10 you need to download all primary driver like sound, display, network from Microsoft website. remain other utility driver can be download from manufacturer website if available. I am using Toshiba laptop and install windows 10 insider but not able to use properly touchpad, Bluetooth and some other because manufacture yet not provided the windows 10 driver

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:01 AM

reckonankit, what is your laptop brand and model? Also, Windows 10 TP 32 or 64-bit?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 dancemat

dancemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:41 PM

Thanks Aura,

I'll give that a try. Hoping my devices will get official drivers though, they're not that old. :)

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:41 PM

No problem Matthew, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:50 AM

The compatibility factor to Win10 is huge.  Certainly, can find stuff specifying or listed as supporting 10, already.  Generally, anything ok w/ 7 SP1 or 8.1 will be ok w/ 10.  8.1 drivers have been used for many things on 10 w/ no issues.

Also, to the OP,

You mention, w/in the year.  That is for doing an Upgrade install 7 SP1 or 8.1 to 10.  Anything else is not free.  However, if after Upgrading one wants to do a Custom install on that same machine, can do that.

Cannot Custom install onto a blank drive for free, @ any time.

Edited by Drew1903, 18 July 2015 - 01:53 AM.

#9 dancemat

dancemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:00 PM

The compatibility factor to Win10 is huge.  Certainly, can find stuff specifying or listed as supporting 10, already.  Generally, anything ok w/ 7 SP1 or 8.1 will be ok w/ 10.  8.1 drivers have been used for many things on 10 w/ no issues.

Also, to the OP,

You mention, w/in the year.  That is for doing an Upgrade install 7 SP1 or 8.1 to 10.  Anything else is not free.  However, if after Upgrading one wants to do a Custom install on that same machine, can do that.

That's some reassurance then, although I'd still prefer tried, tested and certified Windows 10 drivers. :)

Not sure where you have heard that a custom install is not free...

Q. Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

A. Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:02 PM

dancemat, Drew is right. He means that you cannot perform a clean install of Windows 10 on different computers for free (if they don't have Windows 7 and/or Windows 8, 8.1 product keys and this during the first year of the release). But you can perform a clean installation on the same machine that used it's product key for Windows 10. Just a misunderstanding :)

unite_blue.png

#11 dancemat

dancemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:09 PM

I see, no worries. :)

I've read that you won't have to physically upgrade your Windows to 10, in order to clean install. As the Iso's will be released to download. When this will be, not sure yet.

So as long as you register your Win 7 / 8 / 8.1 upgrade with Microsoft. All will be ok. That's what I was meaning in my first post. :)

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

Alright :) And yes there will be Windows 10 .iso available for download since Microsoft is fully aware that some people wants to do a clean installation to obtain it.

unite_blue.png

#13 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:47 PM

Also, to the OP,

That's some reassurance then, although I'd still prefer tried, tested and certified Windows 10 drivers. :)

Not sure where you have heard that a custom install is not free...

Q. Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

A. Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq

Custom installs AFTER the (free) Upgrade is done on the same machine.  Cannot Custom install to an empty drive for free IS correct.  There must be a qualifying OS on the drive FIRST to Upgrade.  Simply put, anything other than Upgrade install on 7 SP1 or 8.1 necessitates buying the OS.  But, can Custom install on the same machine, after the fact.

And where did I get that??  From Microsoft.  And I have to have the facts right since I am a MS Licensing Expect, a Microsoft Partner, own a Microsoft Partner IT Consulting & support company & therefore better be giving my clients & anyone the right info & advice.

Edited by Drew1903, 18 July 2015 - 05:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users