Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't overclock RAM frequency! Bios keeps overriding!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 llevene

llevene

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:23 PM

Hello to all, I am having a huge problem when trying to overclock my ram; I can adjust the timings fine, I changed them from 10 10 11 30 to 9 9 9 27 with no problem. But when I try to adjust the frequency from 1600mhz to 1866mhz, nothing happens, here is a picture of what i mean 
as you can see i have the memory clock set to 1866, but it stays at 1600. (the pic was taken before i changed the timings)
my MOBO is an ECS A58F2P-M4 and i have 8gb of gddr3/1600mhz ram  
I am able to underclock the ram with no problem, as you can see here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4ZVlmeZ7NFnT1RwMVozbnBMNGs/view?usp=sharing - i successfully put it to 1333 mhz
here are some more settings my bios has in case they are of importance
any help much appreciated !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:43 AM

Hello llevene and  :welcome:

Almost always those who can help you the most would like to analyze all of the computer's specs.

Please consider reading Publish a Snapshot using Speccy.

Then if you believe the content could be helpful, please publish the computer's Speccy analysis hotlink.

Thank you.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 llevene

llevene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:10 AM

here are my specs - https://pcpartpicker.com/p/YB7qMp

#4 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:22 AM

here are my specs - https://pcpartpicker.com/p/YB7qMp

Your RAM max speed is 1600MHz, the reason why Bios keeps changing it because your RAM does not support any frequency that are higher than 1600MHz. Just curious, do you save and restart your computer once you apply your manual timing and frequency? As matter of fact, overclocking your RAM will not help a lot compare to overclocked your CPU nor your GPU. Also, can you do me a favor? I want you to download and install CPU-Z from this official site (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html), once you download and install i want you to run and head to Memory tab to take a picture so we can see what's going on. One last thing i forgot to mention, do you have the latest motherboard drives and bios install? 

#5 llevene

llevene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:01 PM

wait i thought that any ram could be overclocked to be higher than what it supposed to be, on all the tutorials I watched people oc ddr3-1600 ram to 1866 and higher with no problem whatsoever. I do save and restart when I apply the manual timings and frequencies. I know that overclock isn't doing that much but i just want to know why i cant... Here is what cpu-z says https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4ZVlmeZ7NFnOTZQNWJqRzhlWTA/view?usp=sharing - the reason the timings are back to 10 10 11 is just because i reset them myself but they do work fine, also i noticed that for some reason the nb frequency is consistently at 1500mhz instead of 1600mhz, is that normal? And yes i do believe i have the latest drivers/bios installed, i did upgrade my bios to the latest version after installing the drivers so will i need to install them again? thanks for the help i appreciate it! :D

Edited by llevene, 14 July 2015 - 01:04 PM.

#6 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

wait i thought that any ram could be overclocked to be higher than what it supposed to be, on all the tutorials I watched people oc ddr3-1600 ram to 1866 and higher with no problem whatsoever.

Not all RAM can be overclocked, just because you watch people do it and it work that doesn't mean it will apply to you. Overclocking these day are determine on your hardware chip, just think like a lottery game to see who's going to be a lucky one. As matter of fact, your timing is 10 10 11 30 to 9 9 9 27 for 1600MHz, so i think you might need a new timing for 1866MHz frequency just think as overclocked your CPU, you need to dial different voltage, and the base clock when you pump up the frequency.  Also, you have to be very cautions when you overclocked your computer, bad overclocked can leads to death of the component, more heats generate, more voltage consume, shorten life span, or even suicide your entire computer. Just to be curious though, why do you want to overclocked your RAM? As i mentioned earlier, overclocked your RAM is not worth it compare to overclocked CPU and GPU because today real world applications are taking advantages of CPU and GPU raw power rather than RAM, overclocked your RAM from 1600MHz to 1866MHz won't give you any benefit at all. 

#7 llevene

llevene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:07 PM

i guess your right i wont bother with it then. i was just curious because i wanted to get as much performance as i could from all my parts, my cpu is overclocked by about 200mhz and gives me a huge boost in speed, and im going to overclock my gpu. I have a pretty crappy mobo anyways, as in its so crappy that its bios wont even allow you to adjust the voltages or adjust any other speeds apart from the ram. thanks for the help! :D

#8 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:09 PM

i guess your right i wont bother with it then. i was just curious because i wanted to get as much performance as i could from all my parts, my cpu is overclocked by about 200mhz and gives me a huge boost in speed, and im going to overclock my gpu. I have a pretty crappy mobo anyways, as in its so crappy that its bios wont even allow you to adjust the voltages or adjust any other speeds apart from the ram. thanks for the help! :D

No problem.

#9 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:33 PM

Overclocking memory doesn't always give tons of huge results.  I wouldn't be concerned all to much either way. 

#10 llevene

llevene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

OK I just figured out why my bios kept overriding, basically my cpu doesn't support any ram faster than 1600mhz, so it was the cpu overriding....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users