Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP says my printer was hijacked and that windows was infected

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chfrank2

chfrank2

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:18 PM

I've never heard of a printer being hijacked.  Is this possible?  Can you help?  I have Malwarebytes installed already as I have been here before.

Thanks,

Frank

Edit: Moved topic from Windows Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:01 PM

How did you get in contact with HP initially? What was the problem that prompted that contact?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 phild0tcom

phild0tcom

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:08 PM

Sounds like an episode of CSI: Cyber I watched last week, where some hacker was setting peoples printers on fire from the internet by heating up the developer unit and feeding paper into it once it was red hot.

No, I've never heard of a printer being 'infected' lol, its near on impossible since they run no software, only firmware.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:34 PM

Did you contact HP first for help with a problem or did you receive an unsolicited popup or email supposedly from HP?

It has been proven that HP computers and other computers that are connected to the internet can be hijacked. Yes, it was proven that

printers can be overheated and cause paper to smolder and possibly cause a fire while being remotely accessed by a hacker.

Exclusive: Millions of printers open to devastating hack attack, researchers say - NBC News  Nov 29 2011, 8:03 am ET

One discussion on a user who's printer was possibly hacked but could be something else and a solution was given.

Printer hijacked (Google Cloud Print) - HP Support Forum - 3614307

Edited by buddy215, 13 July 2015 - 09:37 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:36 PM

Printer driver[s] can be internally disabled or internally "meddled" with.  In the past, while never thinking it could be malware, I have had to uninstall and reinstall printer driver[s].  Once in awhile, I even had to remove printer en toto and then restart, thus letting Windows rediscover and reDriver printer.

Edited by RolandJS, 13 July 2015 - 09:36 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 chfrank2

chfrank2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

I initially contacted HP when my printer wouldn't print yellow even after head cleaning and a new cartridge installed.  HP scanned my computer and said that the CSRSS.EXE file was infected and causing the problem.  I don't know how much I can trust HP though.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,411 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:58 AM

You can get an expert opinion and help for removing malware by following the directions below. Once you have posted the new topic

DO NOT bump it....wait for a response which could be several days.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 ragnuts

ragnuts

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

Hello Frank and Others, I got hacked, and it not only got all 4 of my pc's off the same router but it got my printer and even my phone. I have a V-tech phone base plugged into the phone jack on the side of the modem and everything got hacked. As far as malware(BITES) goes, the last part of its name describes it well.  It didn't do nothing nor MSE anti-virus is a joke as well.  I don't know what to use, for an anti-virus

Spyhunter4 is a malicious,spyware corrupt software so DO NOT USE IT. What worked the best for me was. I took my equipment down to my sons house. He is an electrial engineer for Ford Motor Co. (Detroit) and he went into the registry of all 4 pc's and CHECKED FOR A VIRUS. I did not have a virus but did have malware and spyware. I don't suggest doing that because it is extremely difficult if your not sure of what your doing. You could damage your pc's or what ever you use. I could never do that. He put software program in there that will pop up and let me know if someone is trying to get into my pc and shut it down. the pros to this is the hackers know you have the program and will go to someone else.The printer he just disconnected a wire started it up with the wire off, turned it off and re-connected the wire. The printer is fine. Not sure what he done to the Phone but works fine as well.

We also run spybot search and destroy. To me that is a good program but you just have to pay attention after a scan. I think that is why some people don't like it because it will delete things you need at times.

I know this is long email but I wanted to explain to you Frank and others what to do if it does happen. These hackers are getting smarter because of the technology and devices they make to access someones pc. Good luck Frank Try spybot Search & destroy and make sure you go into www.duckduckgo.com and ask for the original free version of spybot search and destroy. Be careful on that because they have fake names too.

Good Luck to You,,,,, Sincerely,,,Ragnuts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users