Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Videos not playing in Firefox?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:56 PM

Hi,

I've been trying to figure out why Firefox won't play videos yet the same videos will play in Chrome.

I can't find any plugin or Add-ons that seem to cause this problem. I've dissabled everything that I thought would cause this yet the problem still persist.

Does anyone know what Might cause this and how to go about fixing it?

I have Firefox 39 installed.

Thanks,

John

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:03 PM

Hi Johnz414 :)

If you go on Youtube to watch and video, then right-click on it. Is the last option About Flash Player or About HTML5 Player. Also, what shows up when you try to watch a video? Can you take a screenshot and attach it here.

mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

Hello, I am not having that problem, but a different one But it could be related. I just got a error message from Firefox stating: "Firefox has prevented the unsafe plugin 'Adobe Flash' from running."  I got that on 2 different websites! First time was on one website, I then checked to see if any Plug-ins needed any updates, I saw that Firefox says: "All versions of Adobe’s Flash Player plugin are currently vulnerable" .then I updated Adobe Flash. But then I received the same message as before about Firefox not allowing Adobe Flash to run.  Apparently in the New Firefox Update something with the Adobe Flash causes a Venerability in Firefox. Maybe that might be causing your problem or could be a contributing factor.  Cause I  have noticed some weird things happening lately since I updated Firefox and when I run certain programs/Websites that rely on Adobe Flash.

Maybe one of the moderators or someone with more experience/knowledge about Adobe Flash and how it interacts with Web-browsers can tell you if that could be the cause or a contributing factor. 

I was just about to open a new topic about my Problem with Adobe Flash and Firefox, when I saw this post/topic. Like Aura.asked: "What shows up?"
  Check to see if you are getting any error messages or informational messages when this happens. Also Did this start to happen right after you updated Firefox to the latest/most recent version?

I hope my thoughts and information helps!

#4 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:37 PM

"About HTML5 Player" appears at the bottom of the list when right clicking on YouTube video.

Find the image at the following address, (couldn't find anyother way to post it, no paperclip at bottom of page?

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipMToaFycLBAJmt8XJmc1h-0iBW1xVnSGekFw_OM

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,972 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:29 PM

Please follow the instructions on THIS PAGE    

Do Not make any other changes.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 DAVID SHELDON

DAVID SHELDON

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:09 AM

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-common-audio-and-video-issues.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:20 AM

If you're using Adobe Flash Player for the videos, Mozilla Firefox is now blocking it by default for the time being due to the high number of 0-days being found following the Hacking Team hack.

http://gizmodo.com/firefox-now-blocks-flash-by-default-1717664482

For now you'll have to wait. Anyhow, if you're using a fully updated Mozilla Firefox, you should be using the HTML5 player under Youtube at least and it should be working.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,972 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:36 AM

1339997103331064165.png

The current message from Firefox is :

Flash Player Plugin 18.0.0.203 (click-to-play) has been blocked for your protection. Why was it blocked? Old versions of the Flash Player plugin have known vulnerabilities. All users are strongly recommended to check for updates on our plugin check page (no updates were available at the time of this posting). Who is affected? All users who have these versions of the Flash plugin installed. What does this mean?

The problematic add-on or plugin will be automatically disabled and no longer usable.

When Mozilla becomes aware of add-ons, plugins, or other third-party software that seriously compromises Firefox security, stability, or performance and meets certain criteria, the software may be blocked from general use. For more information, please read this support article.

Blocked on July 13, 2015. View block request.

Edited by Condobloke, 14 July 2015 - 03:37 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:38 AM

Yes Condobloke, this screenshot is in the link I posted above.

unite_blue.png

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:38 AM

See also Mozilla support article.

Tekken

#11 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

Use this link to download the latest version of Flash and install it, that will resolve your issue with Firefox.

#12 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:28 PM

I tried downloading the latest version of Adobe Flash several times and I still get the same Message stating that Firefox is blocking Adobe Flash because it is Vulnerable.

I just thought that Firefox blocking Adobe Flash could be a factor in Johnz414's problem and that is why I mentioned it so someone could check it out to see if it might be a contributing factor or not. 

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:33 PM

It seems that you'll have to wait for Mozilla Firefox to lift the block on the Flash Player plugin.

unite_blue.png

#14 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:42 PM

I tried the link Alexdtrasza provided and so far so good! It is a different version download than the one I was originally was downloading before! So maybe that will fix it! But so far so good it seems to be working!

Edited on Wed July 15, 2015 1030pm EDT: To clarify which link I was talking about!

Edited by Groffeaston, 15 July 2015 - 09:35 PM.

#15 Scottintexas

Scottintexas

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:59 AM

Did Firefox get updated? I read this morning that Firefox has blocked Adobe flash player. If you have Firefox set to automatically update, that could be the reason. If not, then I won't be any help.

I was having a stupid moment. I didn't realize that I was looking at the bottom of the thread. NEVERMIND!

Edited by Scottintexas, 15 July 2015 - 09:01 AM.

Still searching for the "Read My Mind and Do It" button.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users