Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems trying to restore Dell Dimension 4600 Desktop PC to factory settings!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
231 replies to this topic

#1 Star_Slight

Star_Slight

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:19 PM

Hey there,

So i've sold my old desktop PC so therefore am in the process of restoring it to factory settings, however it's proving not to be as easy as i thought it would be.

I've tried holding CTRL and pushing F11 when the DELL logo flashes up but nothing comes up, also after reading the manual i've tried pushing F12 (on the same screen) and choosing to boot from CD, but that does nothing, which rather odd as this is what the manual suggests aswell...

I have also booted up the Operating System recovery disc and selected the "Install Windows XP" option but it just says that it cannot proceed because i am running a newer version than the disc. 

The desktop is running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3.

Model - Dell Dimension 4600

Can anyone help me out with this? I want the machine completely wiped and taken back to factory settings. Just how it was on day 1.

Thanks.

Edited by Star_Slight, 13 July 2015 - 06:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWJ

JohnWJ

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:46 PM

Found this doing a bing search

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=A0SO81JhP6RVM0IAFMtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTExa2MyY3N1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVUlDMV8xBHNlYwNzcg--?qid=20110717172823AA11dDf&p=restore%20Dell%20Dimension%204600%20Desktop%20PC%20to%20factory%20settings

John

An Australian Living in the USA

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:51 PM

Instead of holding F11 tap F11 while holding down Ctrl.

Edit: Do you see a partition marked Recovery when in Disk Managment?

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 July 2015 - 06:52 PM.

#4 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:39 AM

OK I'll try that... And I'll check about the partition and will report back.

#5 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:47 PM

OK I'll try that... And I'll check about the partition and will report back.
Tapping F11 doesn't do anything...
Also, i have just looked in disk management and there is no partition marked recovery...
Attached File  IMG_20150714_192024.jpg   172.33KB   1 downloads

Edited by Star_Slight, 14 July 2015 - 01:42 PM.

#6 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:48 PM

Can anyone else help? I need this sorted tonight!

#7 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:21 PM

Here's a message it displays when booting up the windows XP operating system disk...
Attached File  IMG_20150714_192404.jpg   393.85KB   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20150714_192418.jpg   136.12KB   0 downloads

Edited by Star_Slight, 14 July 2015 - 01:25 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:47 PM

What is looks like is your have a XP install disk without SP3. What I would do is backup the activation files on the computer using Advanced Token Manager. Unzip the files to a folder then press Activation Backup. The files should be saved in subfolder of the Token Manger Folder. At least write down the key it finds on a piece of paper. Then copy the folder to a USB flash drive.

Since you currently have internet I would download the wireless and Ethernet drivers ahead of time and copy those to a USB flash drive.

Start the Windows XP install and at the first install windows press Shift +F10. This will give you a command prompt. Do this without any USB flash drive attached. If you only have one disk you should type the following.

Diskpart   <enter>

list disk    <enter> this will show all disks attached to the computer

select disk X  <enter>  where X is the number of your hard drive you want to install XP to. If you only have one disk it will be 0

clean    <enter>   this deletes your partition table and leaves the drive blank

exit   <enter>

Install XP

I am not sure of the specs but if this computer has a SATA drive and not IDE then you may have issues installing as XP does not have native SATA drivers. Do you know if the drive is SATA or IDE.

Edit: After the XP install is done then install your  Wireless drivers if you have Wireless and copy the folder from Advanced Token Manager to the Desktop and restore your activation files. If activation fails then you will need to call Microsoft and do a phone activation. Just remember to copy the key on a piece of paper. Here is your support page.

Edit Edit: With the install disk not being SP3 you are going to dowloading a lot of security updates including SP3.

hddinstall_idesata.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 July 2015 - 01:56 PM.

#9 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:12 PM

Just downloaded Advance Tokens Manager and it says its incompatible with XP and only runs on Vista and upwards...

Edited by Star_Slight, 14 July 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:20 PM

Sorry about that. I thought it also worked for XP. Then I would recover the key using produkey. Was this a Dell install disk? If it is then you probably will not have to activate. In any case copy the WPA.dll file in C:\Windows\System32 onto a USB flash drive. If you have trouble activating after reinstall copy this file to the same location after renaming the original Wpa.dll file.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsXP/UserTips/Miscellaneous/BackupRestoreXPActivation.html

#11 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:24 PM

OK I'll give that a try, and yes it is indeed a dell install disk.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:29 PM

If a Dell then you should be okay and the OS should be pre-activated. Did the disk have a key printed on the disk itself?

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 July 2015 - 02:30 PM.

#13 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:41 PM

Just looking in C:\Windows\System32 and I can't find a file called WPA.dll

Also do you know if there is a way I can check what hard drive type I have without opening it all up and physically checking?

Edited by Star_Slight, 14 July 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#14 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

If a Dell then you should be okay and the OS should be pre-activated. Did the disk have a key printed on the disk itself?

Right OK.. And no there is no key printed on the disk itself.. The only key I can see is for Microsoft office 2003 which came with the PC. The key is stuck on the back of the disc sleeve and has Dell printed on it, like its a special copy for the PC... Not sure if that means anything?

Edited by Star_Slight, 14 July 2015 - 03:05 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:06 PM

The key that is stuck on the disk sleeve. Is this for Office or XP?

Edit: I missed your other post. You can tell if you have an IDE drive by Right clicking the drive in Device Manager and looking at the model number listed. The support site lists it as ATA100 which is IDE. Also in Device manager look under IDE ATA/ATAPI. It will list it as either SATA or ATA. ATA would be IDE.

Sorry, it is wpa.dbl

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 July 2015 - 03:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users