Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When I clone to a larger disk drive how can I make partition larger?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 leonicholson

leonicholson

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:16 PM

How is the best way to do this to use the whole drive instead of the partition sizes of the source?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

Don't partition the drive you will copy the cloned image to. The source itself is not a partition, although it may reside on a partition on that drive.

Is the drive you will be using partitioned? 

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

Well...I'd like to know the sizes of the drives involved...before asserting a strategy I would employ.

There is no reason to have a Windows install on a 1TB or larger drive...using a smaller partition for Windows will be smarter, IMO.

Louis

#4 leonicholson

leonicholson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:08 PM

Thanks, guys.

I went from 320GB to 500GB 7200RPM.   Several free clone programs failed, but Macruim Reflect finally worked.  I then used Aomei Partition Assistant to stretch the data partition after switching drives.  Then added 1TB drive in drive caddy for backups.  Everything is going well now.  ThinkPad T410 Windows 7 Pro 64.

#5 troystz

troystz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:35 PM

Probably of no use at this point but, with Windows 7 you should also be able to resize partitions with the disk management tool as well.

• Open Run Dialog
  • Type in diskmgmt.msc
  • Right click on the partition you want to resize and choose the "shrink" or "extend" option

Can save you some time.

--Troy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users