Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

Hi everybody,

I could really use some help trying to sort out a problem I am having.  In my home I have 5 computers, 2 cell phones, 1 tablet, 1 smart TV, and a Direct TV Whole Home DVR system.  All of the devices except for 1 of the computers connect wirelessly to the internet.  My problem is this:

Every day or two, at least one of the devices will not connect to the internet even though they always seem to join my network.  When I let the computers try to fix themselves via Windows, I always receive the message “invalid IP address”.  Sometimes Windows can fix the issue, sometimes not.  However, a quick reboot of the modem (unplug, wait 10 seconds, re-plug) always resolves the problem.  The wired computer never loses internet connectivity.

Although I have very limited knowledge troubleshooting networks, this indicates to me that something is wrong with my DHCP.  I suspect I may need a new router although the signal to all of the devices is very strong (indicates excellent).  My download speeds are also great when the devices connect.  I currently am using a D-Link DIR-655 router, and a Motorola SB6141 modem.

I don’t mind purchasing a new router, but I do not want to start blindly throwing money away without having some idea of what may be happening.  So, can any of you knowledgeable people perhaps offer some assistance as to how I can possibly isolate the issue?

Thank you very much in advance  :thumbup2: 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:15 PM

I'd recommend checking the DHCP scope on the the D-Link.  Normally it is in the LAN section of the router configuration.  Make sure that your gap in the starting IP address and ending IP address is sufficient for the number of devices you have.  Having more available won't hurt you.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:33 PM

Also the lease times, make sure they aren't like 10 mins or something dumb. Just to make sure it's not the same device each time is it?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:54 PM

Hi guys,

Well, I logged into my router and spent about 15 minutes reading every page of information and settings.  It does not appear that I can check or adjust either DHCP scope or the lease times.  I guess I should add that this router is also at least 8 years old (maybe older).  Maybe it’s too old to have those settings available.

Another thing I should mention is that I just recently changed my security settings from WPA to WPA2 Only.  Maybe it’s a coincidence but the problems seem to have started since then.  Could it be that this router just doesn’t like WPA2 Only?

And no, it does not happen to only one computer.  It happens to every wireless device at random.

Thanks again for your time and suggestions.   :lol:

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

You can most definitely change all of that on a D-Link DIR-655 router. 

Look at your DHCP server settings. The DHCP IP Address Range = your scope. With the network address of 192.168.X.Y 255.255.255.0, Y can = 1 - 254. If your DHCP range/scope is 100 - 199 and is handed out by DHCP. Anything 99 and below or 200 and above can still be in your network but not assigned by DHCP.

Just below that is DHCP lease time. Most have a default of 1440 minutes or 24 hours. You can increase that but I wouldn't do more than double that.

WPA2 is what you should always use. But do you have the Cipher set to TKIP or AES or Both? AES is the best but setting it to both will cover more bases.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users