Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive disappears, and now ISOs won't mount?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 green0ovrs

green0ovrs

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

A few days ago...

I noticed that my optical drive wasn't showing up in Windows Explorer anymore. This happened a while ago on my old laptop, so I figured I'd do the steps I did before to fix the error. When this didn't fix it. I searched around online a little, but found nothing to made the drive re-appear. The drive still works in my other operating systems (dual-boot setup) and it sounds to me like it's reading the disc... just doesn't show up in Windows. Well, I put it off, and figured I'd deal with it later.

Today...

Today, I downloaded the Windows Phone SDK from DreamSpark, which was packaged in an ISO. Daemon tools failed after a few moments with the error code: 8. I looked this up online but I couldn't find anyone else who got error 8. So, I used the Windows 8.1 built-in ISO mounter to open the disc image but to no avail. It gave me a generic error about not being able to mount the file at the moment. I've tried a few things, applied updates, and restarted the computer several times, but the optical drive still won't show up and my computer still won't mount disc images.

I'm assuming the optical drive's sudden disappearance and the operating system's sudden refusal to open ISOs are connected. Any ideas? I can't find anyone on Google who has this same problem (or solutions that work for me). Re-installing Windows is an option but I'd much rather not!

Thanks in advance!

-green0ovrs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 green0ovrs

green0ovrs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:10 AM

Sorry to have to bump this but it's really important and pretty much every topic but mine is receiving support.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:31 AM

Have you tried replacing the driver in the Device Manager?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 green0ovrs

green0ovrs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for the reply, I tried re-installing the driver, but it still has a warning symbol next to it. In Properties, it's status is: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19). I've read some articles on corrupted registry keys, but none of the ones I tried worked. I do have registry backups, but the last one I made was last month and I've installed a few programs since then.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have the installation disc?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 green0ovrs

green0ovrs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

HP Notebook 15-f162dx. I created recovery media on a USB.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

Have you tried the recovery media?

#8 green0ovrs

green0ovrs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:15 AM

Not yet. I found an article online about Code 19. It told me to delete the UpperClass and LowerClass filters from the registry. After I booted back up the DVD drive came back. Now I'm testing ISOs. Thanks for all of your help!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

Since this required a registry edit I usually will save this as a last resort.  If mistakes are made while editing the registry it can result in an inoperable computer.

I'm glad this worked for you. :thumbup2:

#10 green0ovrs

green0ovrs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:25 AM

Since this required a registry edit I usually will save this as a last resort.  If mistakes are made while editing the registry it can result in an inoperable computer.

I'm glad this worked for you. :thumbup2:

Yeah, I made a backup before proceeding. ISOs now mount. Have a good week!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users