Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kali keeps locking up

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Encryption

Encryption

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:34 PM

So, I'm running a WPSCAN bruteforce attack using rockyou.txt on my own site to test the security, I've removed the other vulnerabilities such remote upload, etc. Anyway, so I went to bed, and the screen locked and the attack paused, said it had only gone for 20 minutes, so, is there anyway I can disable the screenlock completely? I was able to only increase the time before it locks to one hour, nothing else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marcoose777

marcoose777

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:03 PM

Have you read this, a lot of arch wiki is fairly generic and applies to many distros with modification... Just a matter of finding the alternate config files. Remembering of course that kali is gnome based, so you may wanna check that Gnome is not interferring/overriding the underlying x-settings. You may want to try this:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power active false

Is that systemd only? not sure, kali isn't systemd anywayz

Instead try:

Within your xorg X11 config file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf or somewhere not far away), the 0's == off

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option    "blank time" "0"
    Option    "standby time" "0"
    Option    "suspend time" "0"
    Option    "off time" "0"
EndSection

PS I don't think a dictionary attack is going to be your biggest worry, your 'site' isn't a word press site by any chance, if so you may wanna reconsider.

;)

PPS If you're booting live then I think you need persistence for any of this, plus I'd consider the alternative pen-test tool set: Pentoo, it comes with PAX and GRSEC which are very handy if you wanna avoid being pwned yourself.

Edited by marcoose777, 13 July 2015 - 04:13 PM.

#3 Encryption

Encryption
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

Have you read this, a lot of arch wiki is fairly generic and applies to many distros with modification... Just a matter of finding the alternate config files. Remembering of course that kali is gnome based, so you may wanna check that Gnome is not interferring/overriding the underlying x-settings. You may want to try this:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power active false

Is that systemd only? not sure, kali isn't systemd anywayz

Instead try:

Within your xorg X11 config file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf or somewhere not far away), the 0's == off

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option    "blank time" "0"
    Option    "standby time" "0"
    Option    "suspend time" "0"
    Option    "off time" "0"
EndSection

PS I don't think a dictionary attack is going to be your biggest worry, your 'site' isn't a word press site by any chance, if so you may wanna reconsider.

;)

PPS If you're booting live then I think you need persistence for any of this, plus I'd consider the alternative pen-test tool set: Pentoo, it comes with PAX and GRSEC which are very handy if you wanna avoid being pwned yourself.

I can't find any xorg.conf file or anything close to it. I also did, locate xorg.conf, nothing came up. Also, I don't understand what you mean by the dictoinary attack. And it is my site :} Anyway, I tried your first option, and I hope that will work as the command didn't give any errors, or maybe it just doesn't have any error handling..

Sure, I'll try Pentoo, I do dual-boot Kali Linux sometimes, but its fking annoying since I have two screens and I'm not sure how to make it so it supports two screens, but they just mirror eachother. Maybe you know a fix for that :} thanks anyway.

#4 marcoose777

marcoose777

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

Hi, I've just fired up my Kali live stick, if you haven't succeeded with the gsettings command you can try GUI for an easy fix System Tool -> Preferences -> System Settings. Once you have a panel with the various settings apps go into 'brightness & lock' and disable lock. Then go back and check  suspend options in 'Power'. The xorg.conf file you may need to create read this, and remember stopping gdm/kdm/xdm will drop you into a text only environment so write everything else you'll need on paper unless your happy with links.

A dictionary attack is where you use a dictionary: in your case a word list (rockyou.txt) to try every word out in an effort to find the right word. The problem is that your wordlist isn't infinite so will no doubts not contain every possible word, and will often fail. Rock you is a list of passwords hacked of a web database(s) and collated into a file (I think) for easy password trial n error search. True bruteforce involves using a kind of regexp to sequentially generate and search a very large domain of password candidates in an attempt to find the right one :D Can be smart tweaked to reduce the problem size. Good firewall settings can bounce repeat password fails, and force a timeout period thereby ellongating such brute force attacks, unless of course repeat attempts are bounced around the webs and appear to originate from all over the world, and not a single IP, you'd probably need a zombie/bot net for that. ;)

If your pentesting your website locally/offline ignore the comment about pentoo it's moot, however if your testing remotely and your site is online then being attacked yourself is a possibility.

Good luck and adios

#5 Encryption

Encryption
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:24 PM

Hi, I've just fired up my Kali live stick, if you haven't succeeded with the gsettings command you can try GUI for an easy fix System Tool -> Preferences -> System Settings. Once you have a panel with the various settings apps go into 'brightness & lock' and disable lock. Then go back and check  suspend options in 'Power'. The xorg.conf file you may need to create read this, and remember stopping gdm/kdm/xdm will drop you into a text only environment so write everything else you'll need on paper unless your happy with links.

A dictionary attack is where you use a dictionary: in your case a word list (rockyou.txt) to try every word out in an effort to find the right word. The problem is that your wordlist isn't infinite so will no doubts not contain every possible word, and will often fail. Rock you is a list of passwords hacked of a web database(s) and collated into a file (I think) for easy password trial n error search. True bruteforce involves using a kind of regexp to sequentially generate and search a very large domain of password candidates in an attempt to find the right one :D Can be smart tweaked to reduce the problem size. Good firewall settings can bounce repeat password fails, and force a timeout period thereby ellongating such brute force attacks, unless of course repeat attempts are bounced around the webs and appear to originate from all over the world, and not a single IP, you'd probably need a zombie/bot net for that. ;)

If your pentesting your website locally/offline ignore the comment about pentoo it's moot, however if your testing remotely and your site is online then being attacked yourself is a possibility.

Good luck and adios

I tried that and it worked, thanks. Anyway, I know what a dictionary attack is, I'm just testing around. I did find some vulnerabilities which I could have exploited but I deleted the themes and plugins which had those vulnerabilities. So I'm left with a dictionary attack or a DDoS attack, I'm not sure how I would properly bruteforce a word press based site.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:58 PM

Ok guys this is going into dark territory.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:21 AM

So, I'm running a WPSCAN bruteforce attack using rockyou.txt on my own site to test the security

Have you run rockyou.txt through a grep filter to search for the password you're trying to crack?

I did find some vulnerabilities which I could have exploited but I deleted the themes and plugins which had those vulnerabilities

Which themes and plug-ins could you have exploited?

#8 Encryption

Encryption
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

I did find some vulnerabilities which I could have exploited but I deleted the themes and plugins which had those vulnerabilities

Which themes and plug-ins could you have exploited?

I've obviously patched it now, but I did get the output:
Gravity Forms <= 1.8.19 - Arbitrary File Upload

Reference: https://wpvulndb.com/vulnerabilities/7820
    Reference: http://blog.sucuri.net/2015/02/malware-cleanup-to-arbitrary-file-upload-in-gravity-forms.html
    Reference: http://www.gravityhelp.com/gravity-forms-v1-8-20-released/\

If you wanted more, I can surely provide it.

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,120 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

When you say you "patched" it, do you mean you updated it?

Posted by Carl Hancock at 4:49 pm on December 8th, 2014 | Comments Off on Gravity Forms v1.8.20 Released Gravity Forms v1.8.20 is now available via automatic update and the customer downloads page. This is an important security and maintenance release.

https://www.gravityhelp.com/gravity-forms-v1-8-20-released/

Edited by Al1000, 14 July 2015 - 03:08 PM.

#10 Encryption

Encryption
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:40 PM

When you say you "patched" it, do you mean you updated it?

Posted by Carl Hancock at 4:49 pm on December 8th, 2014 | Comments Off on Gravity Forms v1.8.20 Released Gravity Forms v1.8.20 is now available via automatic update and the customer downloads page. This is an important security and maintenance release.

https://www.gravityhelp.com/gravity-forms-v1-8-20-released/

Yes. The newer version doesn't contain that vulnerability.

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,120 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:08 AM

Yeah, I read that too.

So when you said you "deleted plug-ins and themes," do you mean you just upgraded Gravity Forms to the latest version?

#12 Encryption

Encryption
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, I read that too.

So when you said you "deleted plug-ins and themes," do you mean you just upgraded Gravity Forms to the latest version?

I just upgraded, yeah.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users