Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CyberGhost VPN (Free)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bellzemos

Bellzemos

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:39 AM

Hi again!

I have just installed and tried the CyberGhost (free version/mode) and I was pretty amazed!

And it all looks so simple! There is just a few settings you can choose from - it's pretty much automatic. Incredible!

I have a couple of questions:

1. Can you please explain a bit on what's going on behind the scenes with CyberGhost? How the magic happens?

2. Am I now safe to log into my bank account and email even when I'm using an unsecured WiFi in a Caffee? Is CyberGhost THE thing to use in such situations?

3. When using it SpeedTest would sometime shows me DL speed that is higher than the one that my ISP provides. Is that real, is it even possible?

4. Does it work for absolutely all outgoing connections from my computer? Or only for the web browser? What about Skype for example?

5. In the free version, when CD disconnects after 3 hours, do you get a message/notification that the VPN is off? I hope so.

6. Are there any dangers in using CyberGhost, any at all? It installed a TAP Windows Adapter V9. What does that mean? It stays there even when I quit CyberGhost.

7. Are there any other changes to the PC? No hidden background processes or spying or anything bad at all? It seems too good to be true, that's why I'm so worried. :P

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:49 AM

Seems to me that your questions should be directed to the software developer.

https://support.cyberghostvpn.com/index.php?/Troubleshooter/List

Louis

#3 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:00 PM

I'm not the software developer  :whistle:  but I have some experience with VPN's and CyberGhost.

For some of your questions you can find an answer in my review and video...

VPN review and video CyberGhost Free VPN

I'm going to answer them here anyway !

1. VPN = Virtual Private Network : In short and without going technical, you are using someone else's secure (encrypted) connection. From the outside it looks like you have that someone else's IP and are from that country.

2. You are completely safe if you trust CyberGhost...

3. Sometimes the VPN server get tested (the server if buffering for you) but that means that it is faster then your own connection which is a good thing.

4. It works for all connections on your PC but the free service doesn't support torrents. Skype has a habit of blocking VPN's so if it doesn't work pick another server.

5. CyberGhost has a "kill switch feature" which means that you will not only get a message but your internet will go down entirely (no leaks possible).

6. The TAP-Windows Adapter V9 is the OpenVPN virtual adapter and is required for using the OpenVPN protocol.

7. There's one startup service and the V9 adapter that's it. CyberGhost is a trusted company, they don't do adware, spyware,... they sell VPN services and hope if you want more servers, more speed or torrents that you will buy their Premium Plan.

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#4 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:45 PM

Seems to me that your questions should be directed to the software developer.

https://support.cyberghostvpn.com/index.php?/Troubleshooter/List

Louis

Hi, yes, but they will always tell only the good things about their own software. :)

#5 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

I'm not the software developer  :whistle:  but I have some experience with VPN's and CyberGhost.

For some of your questions you can find an answer in my review and video...

VPN review and video CyberGhost Free VPN

I'm going to answer them here anyway !

1. VPN = Virtual Private Network : In short and without going technical, you are using someone else's secure (encrypted) connection. From the outside it looks like you have that someone else's IP and are from that country.

2. You are completely safe if you trust CyberGhost...

3. Sometimes the VPN server get tested (the server if buffering for you) but that means that it is faster then your own connection which is a good thing.

4. It works for all connections on your PC but the free service doesn't support torrents. Skype has a habit of blocking VPN's so if it doesn't work pick another server.

5. CyberGhost has a "kill switch feature" which means that you will not only get a message but your internet will go down entirely (no leaks possible).

6. The TAP-Windows Adapter V9 is the OpenVPN virtual adapter and is required for using the OpenVPN protocol.

7. There's one startup service and the V9 adapter that's it. CyberGhost is a trusted company, they don't do adware, spyware,... they sell VPN services and hope if you want more servers, more speed or torrents that you will buy their Premium Plan.

OTT

I have seen your video and review before, well done!

1. I'm not really interested in anonimity as I am in encryption. That's why I want to use it - to safely log into a bank account, email etc. - even when using an unsecured WiFi.

2. OK.

3. But am I then in fact able to download at those faster speeds? Does it really work?

4. So when CyberGhost is enabled everything goes through it (except torrents, but I don't care about that anyway)? And if yes, if Skype won't work I should try changing a country and/or server?

5. Awesome. And then I can simply reconnect again (or use my normal connection)?

6. OK, so I guess it has to stay installed at all times then. Is there any downside of having it on a computer?

7. OK, that's great. And you can probably even turn off that startup service and start it up manually if you want?

I am very grateful to you for taking your time and explaining it all, I hope it serves others who will have questions on CG too. Thank you! :)

#6 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

1. The connection to the VPN server is encrypted (256bit AES) and your banksite has https, so its double as safe as with a normal connection.

3. No, the speedtest tests the VPN server and not your connection. It's a anomaly you can have with all (fast) VPN's. In that case you will get your max ISP speed.

4. Yes. Torrents just don't work, they are blocked. Skype can be difficult because the IP's of the Free CyberGhost version are best known by Skype...

5. Yes, the choice is yours.

6. No downsides unless you have other VPN software on your machine as they sometimes use the same V9 adapter. There's a "Repair" in the Advanced settings of CyberGhost. And while you're there check "Activate virtual network card only on demand", this will disable the V9 adapter if CyberGhost isn't active.

7. Indeed, if you set it to manual it will startup when CyberGhost needs it.

OTT

Edited by O.T.T., 13 July 2015 - 07:18 PM.

#7 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:42 PM

1. Even in a pub full of hachers lurking on the unsecured WiFi connection and waiting to attack me? :D

3. OK, that clarifies it, thank you.

4. Sorry, I don't understand that.

5. Excellent.

6. Thanx for the tip!

7. OK.

Thank you for all the help!

#8 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:04 AM

1. Yes, as long as you first connect to the VPN...

4. Every connection goes through the VPN but torrents don't work, they do not connect at all because they are blocked by the CyberGhost build-in firewall. Skype "hates" VPN's so they try to block as many as possible, but first they have to know it's a VPN. If this happens you will have no Skype connection. CyberGhost Premium has more IP's so you have a better chance of finding an IP that's working because Skype doesn't know it's a VPN.

Hope this clarifies it a bit ?

OTT

#9 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:41 AM

That clarifies it all completely, thank you very very much, it's really appreciated!

#10 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:17 PM

You're welcome !  :)

OTT

#11 gonwk

gonwk

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:16 PM

Hi folks,

I was googling like a mad man for an answer why my laptop all of sudden Drops my Internet connection every few seconds after I uninstalled the "CyberGhost Free" version ... I was testing it to see if I like it ... BTW, they Falsely Advertise that you get a Free Version at Slower Speeds with ALL the Capabilities ... otherwise I would NOT even try the crap ...

Warning to all the Free Users ... Once you uninstall it ... it will NOT remove everything and your Internet Connection will be dropping left and right ...

I have Not yet found the solution ... I might have to go to a "Restore Point" and hope that fixes my problem.

Q: Anyone has any Solution to this Dilemma, please share!

Thanks,

G! :)

Totally a Newbie, Eager to Learn!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users