Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Memtest86 results.....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 j_bins

j_bins

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:39 AM

HI,

I ran Memtest86 last night and came up with the following error:

ERROR - Confidence Value
Lowest Error Address: 0020c33000 - 1204.1 Mb
Highest Error Address: 002f2faeff8 - 12079.6 Mb
Bits in error mask: 00000010
Bits in Error - Total:1 Min:1 Max:1 Avg:1

I am guessing that there is a problem is with the RAM but I am not sure how to interpret the results correctly.

I have 16 Gb RAM (2x8GB) (Corsair Vengance LP 1600Mhz DDR3). I am going to remove each module in turn and test the remainig one on its own.......currently running at the moment....

The reason for using Memtest is that my computer started freezing up yesterday. I had to reboot using the restart button on the front. However only the  fan starts and won't boot - the screen stays blank...... after a few attempts (having to power off with the button on the front) I get this message:

('American Mega Trends' logo)
.....Overclocking Failed
please enter setup to re-configure sytstem.
Press F1 to run setup.

So I pressed F1 and set 'Default' settings option in Bios and it boots.

However the next time I try to boot the same thing happens.

I have uninstalled some recent programs and updated the BIOS.

Any ideas what all this might mean or what I should do next?

Thanks

J :)

Windows 8.1 64bit
Intel Ivy Bridge  i7-3770 Quad Core CPU @ 3.4Ghz
ASUS P8Z77-V LX - Intel Z77 Chipset
ATI Radeon HD5450 1024Mb Dual Head

Edited by j_bins, 13 July 2015 - 12:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:58 PM

First, reset the system and ensure that you are not overclocking.

Then run MemTest again (let the system cool down for 30 minutes before starting).

If it still gives errors, then it's likely that you have bad memory sticks.

To figure that out, then do this:

- remove all memory sticks from the system (be sure to unplug the system from the wall (and, if a laptop, removed the battery also)

- ground yourself by holding onto the metal of the case/chassis

- test one stick in the first slot with Memtest

- if it passes, then test each slot with that stick

- then test the rest of the sticks in the first slot (to find which one fails)

Should the first stick fail while testing, test the other sticks in the first slot until you find one that passes.

If all the sticks fail in a slot - then it's either that all sticks are bad, or that the slot is bad (that's why you test the slots with a stick that you know is good).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:19 AM

hi usasma,

Thanks for the reply ;)

I reset the Bios to default and ran the Memtest again. I had already started running the tests so I did the tests in a different order.

There are four slots on the board:

• Slot A1 - Black
  • Slot B1 - Blue
  • Slot A2 - Black
  • Slot B2 - Blue

I have two sticks named:

• a(10632.)
  • b(10632)

The original double configuration where I recieved 1 Error on the second pass was:

• Slot A1 - a(10632.)
  • Slot A2 - b(10632)

I have now tested individually:

• Slot A1 - a(10632.) - 5 Pass/No Errors
  • Slot A2 - b(10632)  - 8 Pass/No Errors
  • Slot B1 - a(10632.) - 5 Pass/No Errors
  • Slot B2 - b(10632)  - 6 Pass/No Errors

....so its good news that i got no more errors...but bad news that i don't know what was causing the problems......

Whilst swapping the RAM I also gave the computer a dust out. I blew quite a bit of dust from the PSU vent and also as small amount from the CPU - i wonder if that might have been causing the freezes?

I have just restored the system using AcronisTrue Image and am now going to use the System and see what happens before I do anything else. Do you think that strategy makes sense?

I will post up an update if the system continues to freeze.

Thanks again

J

Edited by j_bins, 15 July 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:53 PM

It's not uncommon to fix BSOD errors by cleaning out the slots.

My very first customer (at the shop I've worked at for 8 years) had a memory problem (and I didn't check the slots).

I told him that I'd send it out to get it fixed (and it'd be gone for 3 weeks) - it would be under warranty, so it wouldn't cost him anything.

I also suggested a second opinion at another shop (since I wasn't real confident in my abilities).

They reseated his RAM and everything worked just fine!

Needless to say, I was very embarrassed - and I still remember it vividly!

I wouldn't think that you need to reinstall Windows in order to test - but it won't hurt

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:26 PM

Thanks again usasma,

Acronis has put the computer back to the factory state so the OS is all clean again.......will see how it goes :)

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users