Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP LaserJet Printer not installing software to my laptop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 baymerlou

baymerlou

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

Hi, I just bought a brand new HP Color Laser Jet Printer MFP M177fw and I cannot get the software to install.   I've used the CD that came with the printer, I've downloaded from the HP site and used the assistant etc., the software keeps giving me errors installing.   I've rebooted several times with no success.  

I did struggle with networking this to my router and had to reset the router/modem back to factory and set up a new network and this is working.    I had to install another HP software just to use the scan feature, but apparently with HP this will expire in 10 days unless I can get this HP software to install, then this scanner software will activate with it.   

My laptop is an Asus running Windows 7 (Service pack 1), 64 bit, dual processor (1.30GHz each), 4.00GB RAM, .   Windows all updated to recent specs.   Hard drive partitioned c and d drives, C: 116GB 7.27 free, D: 334 GB 109 GB free.  

I am wondering if there is enough room on the C: drive to install this software even if I'm not getting any indicators to this fact.  I usually use D: drive for all my downloads and install non Windows specific programs to D; drive just to keep C: free, but it looks like programs share files on both drives.  I've tried to clean up C drive many times, but unsure what is safe to remove without messing up the whole system.

Appreciate any help or insight you can give me.   

Edited by baymerlou, 13 July 2015 - 02:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:38 PM

A printer should be able to install in 7GB.  You don't need to install all of the extra stuff that ships with the printer, you just need the drivers.

I never install from the included CD, it is at best three months old when you buy the printer.  Download the drivers from HP.  The size is 116MB, even if it is vastly compressed it shouldn't take even a half of a gig to install.

If you still get errors the errors you receive would be helpful in pointing you in the right direction.

#3 baymerlou

baymerlou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:42 PM

That was the first thing I did was download and install from the HP site.   I only used the CD as a last resort and it didn't work either.   I need to install the software in order to use the scanning feature, this printer does not have this on it.   The drivers are a non issue, I've installed the drivers with not a hitch, it's just the software that just won't install.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. 

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

Aside from your issue...

Your C: drive has critically low space that will be effecting your performance, physical disk life and file integrity.

One should always keep their operating partition with at least 10% free space, though 20% is recommended.

I suggest you resize your partitions.

#5 baymerlou

baymerlou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:51 PM

Can I resize partitions without losing data?''

OK I just looked it up, I can resize in Windows 7 it has it's own disk management...  that is cool. 

Here's a screenshot of what I have..

Attached Files

Edited by baymerlou, 13 July 2015 - 05:05 PM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

Yes you can. There is a very small amount of risk, so I suggest you back up any critical data before doing so though.

#7 baymerlou

baymerlou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

I edited my post above to include my screenshot of my disk system

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

I'd be resizing the c: to be 40GB larger, at d:'s expense.

What is that empty 14GB partition for? Are you planning on using that space for something? You might want to use that space too...

#9 baymerlou

baymerlou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:13 PM

I didn't even know that empty one was there until I open this thing up..... I was surprised too.

#10 baymerlou

baymerlou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:16 PM

We're heading out for my MIL birthday dinner so I'll have to tackle this when I'm not distracted, thankyou so much for your help in the drive size issue anyway, hopefully the software install will be solved too.    I can still print to my printer and if it comes to it I'll just find a third party scan software to utilize that feature, I use the scan every single day though. 

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:17 PM

You're welcome. :)

edit: when you can, let us know exactly what the errors you are receiving during installation are.

Edited by TsVk!, 13 July 2015 - 05:21 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:25 PM

I may be wrong but I don't think you can do what you want with Disk Management. When you shrink your D: partition using disk management you will create unallocated space to the right of D listed as Free Space as shown in the below image. In order to extend the C: system partition you need to have unallocated space to the right which you will not have. You can do what you want using a third party partition manager like Partition Wizard. All steps are virtual and nothing is done until you press Apply.

For your disk I would resize your D partition to what you want. You can resize from the left by dragging the arrow of the partition. Then extend your system partiton to the right by the amount of unallocated space created when you resized D: If you make a mistake you can back out of it by pressing the discard button. As TsVk! posted, create a disk backup using WIndows own system image creator or a third party imager like Macrium Free or Aoemi Backupper. But, Partition Wizard is very reliable.

gg309169.shrink4b.jpg(en-us).jpg

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for clarifying that John.

Personally I never use Windows Disk Management for anything but reference. My tool of choice for partition editing is GParted.

#14 baymerlou

baymerlou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:09 AM

I finally got this software installed, I did a lot of cleaning of my computer, freed up about 12 gig on my c partition.    However, I think what did the trick was installing the firmware update that I found on the HP site.    What a relief that I now have the FULL use of my printer.  Thanks to all for their suggestions, love this place, you are a godsend to up computer users who don't want to depend on computer stores to fix some of our simple issues. 

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for letting us know the solution to your issue too, it may help someone else in the future :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users