Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making (Good) Use of Multiple Desktops(?)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:49 AM

Not sure whether a query or some shared insight here.  Are you tapping the value of MDs or is it a matter of realising the value the Feature can be?

The ability to have Multiple Desktops can be a real asset and serve you well & be very kewl & helpful... helpful in the sense of organization & structure... can keep things neat & tidy OR not cluttered, not homogenised, not w/ a plethora of varied, unrelated stuff all clustered in one same place.

Can have a browser window in every one.  Can have various APPs & or applications in each one.  Can scan & select everything across all Desktops via Alt+Tab.  The Taskbar is accessible in every one.  And the Taskbar can display what is going on w/ all Desktops or each respective Desktop individually.

Anyway, some may not realise how the concept can be make things pleasant, slick & sensible.  Related things can be grouped in one Desktop not, w/ anything that, really, does belong (there).  1 maybe a sort of basic 'hub'... Home Page, E-mail, Skype, Calendar, Weather... another all fun, entertainment, recreation... another for hobby interests... one for business concerns... it is only limited by one's imagination.  And one can create an limitless number.

I have used the Feature, peculiar to Windows 10 ever since last September and it sure beats having everything ALL in one same Desktop, all on the same screen.  It affords the "A place for everything & everything in its place" approach.  Bit like having different rooms in a house for different things.

Bit of a trick to have the browser window in more than one Desktop but, once one knows how it's quick & easy.

If you have not delved into this kewl Feature much, yet, it is worth it.  If you'd like a wee bit of instruction or guidance, don't hesitate to ask.  I'd be very glad to assist.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:50 AM

I plan on using that feature on Windows 10 once I get it, but I'll only use it when I want to accomplish certain tasks. Let's say that I work on a fix for a thread on Sysnative, I always end up opening multiple Windows Explorer window, web browser and other programs. Rather than have all of them clustered with my other opened programs, I'll dedicate a desktop to it. Same for when it comes to programming: I would have my web browser, IDE, documentation, etc. open in one desktop and I would have one desktop that is casual for when I want to take a break. Once I'll have learned how to use the key combinaisons to switch from one desktop to another fast, it'll be easy.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Drew1903

Drew1903
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:03 AM

The key combinations to switch from one desktop to another fast are Ctrl+Win & <--- or ----> (direction keys)

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:06 AM

Alright, it should come naturally (depending on how many desktops I'll use, I'll also have to keep in mind their position). And since my system isn't subject to delays, it should switch quite fast without me pressing accidently on an arrow key once.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Drew1903

Drew1903
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:46 AM

Sometimes I use the keys, sometimes I just mouse.  They are displayed such that it's easy to see which is which & where, and where you are @ any given moment.  Plus, can move 'pieces' from one Desktop to another... was, especially nice & helpful when that became true; couldn't do it @ the onset.
I find it more instinctive or sensible when the Taskbar corresponds to each Desktop rather than reflecting all of them, together.... but, different Folks have different logic... hence heaps of choices for things.

I asked Cat how to put one's job by the picture but, he didn't know.  I sure can't find the way & I sure have looked & tried to find it, obviously, to no avail.  Anybody know??

#6 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

I've tried to use MD once but it makes my work harder. Well, maybe I just need enough time to figure it out and be used to it. But the idea of using MD's is not bad at all. It would really work well if your vpn is also reliable and could be trusted.

#7 Drew1903

Drew1903
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:56 PM

One can sign in to Edge w/ one account & have IE going using a different sign-in account; this can be done whilst, also, having Edge & or IE in more than one Desktop simultaneously.

You set whether Taskbar shows all Desktops or only one.

You can set whether Alt+Tab shows all or only one.

You can put Edge in other Desktops by taking a Tab, or a New Tab to Move to new window (Rt Clk) then, using Task View move or drag where wanted.

Of anything in Windows 10 I think I like the Multi Desktops Feature the most, best.  Have used it daily 'forever' & find it very helpful & useful... servers a worthwhile purpose & one can make good use of it.  Terrific how one can move around w/in it, too.

Edited by Drew1903, 18 August 2015 - 11:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users