Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regarding Unix

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gill28

gill28

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:52 PM

hi

i would like to know how can i use my thumbdrive on a unix operating system? using devices seem to be a little harder on unix. any easier way to describe this?

thanks alot for the help

sincerly
gill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:24 AM

try this line in terminal...
/usr/bin/usbmount

should work. Be sure to unmount after completion or you may lose data. Also it's important it has a 1 filesystem setup (like lin3, lin2, fat32, iso9660, for example).

As with many things linux, I encourage (as I do it a lot) a good search and read. To have an answer given you fixes it for now. If you search find and learn, it's yours forever...and lets face it, trying to bash scrypt and not remembering sucks....

But to answer your question, yes, most unices do support thumb drives.

I'm surprised what your using doesn't recognize it when you put it in...Linux has come a long ways, FC5, SuSE and Ubuntu recognized everything I threw at them so far.

Edited by Joedude, 12 July 2006 - 02:26 AM.

If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users