Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 frequently freezing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 infantedegracia

infantedegracia

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:37 PM

Hi, I have several problems but I'm going to assume you only want to take them on one at a time. So that's what we'll do.

I'm using Windows 7 Pro, SP1. 2Gb Ram...wait, I have tool for this.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU     E7500  @ 2.93GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1993 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel® Q45/Q43 Express Chipset, 772 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 114370 MB, Free - 50765 MB; E: Total - 99 MB, Free - 61 MB; F: Total - 152588 MB, Free - 24790 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 3048h, MXL0190NY3
Antivirus: Panda Free Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

More and more lately, I get hung up in both Firefox 36 and Opera 29. It's usually when I have a few tabs open and have been running it for a while. That's to be expected, I should close and reopen every 20 minutes at the very least, I suppose. Annoying, but not to the point of driving me insane as this freeze does. I've been on XP for most of my computer-using life, and on it Task Manager ruled the land. So I kept it up. As soon as I star my computer, I start it up with it. It's good to have if you run across a site trying to install a virus or whatever should you catch something fishy before your anti-virus does.

But with Win7 Pro, when the computer freezes up, so does task manager. I have to control-alt-delete to either get task manager up, or sometimes just to start responding again without bringing up TM.

To let everyone know, right now, I'm on a refurbished computer that's lasted about a year at this point. Quite frankly, my Windows8phobia made me actually go out and purposely look for a refurbished computer with Win7, since I heard it was the best of all the newer OSs since XP. Now, if I need to reinstall, I have no Win7 Pro disc to do that with. However, I do have 2 trusty XP Home discs that I would be more than happy to substitue for it, although I have heard that Win 7 machines create a partition or something that let's you reinstall after a format. I presume, anyway, I won't lie, i'm not exactly sure what that means.

So there's a wall of text that I hope isn't too much. Forgive me if it is, I'm working on my flaw. It would have been bigger a few months ago.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:02 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer infantedegracia

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download MiniToolBox and run the program. Select
List Last 10 Event Viewers, List Installed Programs and List Users, Partitions and Memory Size then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#3 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:36 AM

hey as per your system configuration is it looks OK and you have enough free memory to doing task easy. So first one check your disk for errors. Do disk cleanup and disk fragmentation After that check you have installed any tool bar add on which may be virus or spam on your browser if yes then immediately uninstall them. Also check control panel for inappropriate program if yes than do delete them

Now you need to run windows defender scan for whole drive. one more recommendation for you you can uninstall free version of antivirus also because they consume lots of system memory you can check in task manager. When you open browser once in time just open 10 to 15 tabs once to work properly

#4 infantedegracia

infantedegracia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:48 PM

Thank you both for the replies. I hope it's not too much to ask for a little patience with me as I have several crises, of the first world variety, that's just fallen upon me last night and this morning. I have Speccy downloaded already for some previous issues I had but I never installed it as we found a work around without further analysis. Maybe that was a mistake in itself.

As of right now I got a lot of stuff off my main drive as I was down to about 15Gb of free space. I have a 1Tb back-up drive, with about 650Gb free and a failinng external that i keep plugged in all the time. It even boots with the system. That has about 24Gb left out of the 124Gb of storage it originally offered. I don't use it as a back up, I just use it to clear stuff off the main hard drive when planning to do a disk check and degragging. The defragging, of course, will wait until you give firther instruction to do so. I hope to have these personal issues all cleared up within a couple days and then I can dedicate some real time to this.

Part of me REALLY wants to just reinstall XP Home on it, but I'm not sure if the 64bit thing is a part of the system hardware or a part of the OS. Whatever it is, I've noticed it's either worthless or it simply bogs down my system compared to 32 bit applications. On top of that, there doesn't seem to be tha many programs meant specifically for 64bit systems as most of my software, browsers etc are all running in 32bit anyway. I know MS isn't updating XP anymore, but at this point I don't really care. Mainly because I'm ignorant of what's supposed to be so special about this 64bit hard/software. All I know is Xp Home 32 bit task manager could part the red sea if i needed it to, where as this 64 bit "upgrade" won't respond for minutes at a time. It's not as bad as some other people's issues I've read about, but I'd prefer not to let it get to that point.

Anyway, I'll get back to you tomorrow or the following day. I apologize if this is inconvenient, but like I said, other stuff happened.

Thanks again.

#5 DAVID SHELDON

DAVID SHELDON

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:07 AM

Downloading Speccy and  install .  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.
 Download MiniToolBox and run the program. Select
List Last 10 Event Viewers, List Installed Programs and List Users, Partitions and Memory Size then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:13 AM

The defragging, of course, will wait until you give firther instruction to do so.

I would suggest that you stop using defrag options in any of your external or system drives at this point. It would never help in recovering or allocating faulty sectors or improve the health and performance status in your case. We will wait for the requested logs as soon as you are available. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#7 infantedegracia

infantedegracia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:29 PM

I'm sorry, you guys should close this thread, I'm going through a serious crisis and don't have the time to mess with this thing. Trying to overcome this crisis is going to take a lot of work and I know getting this thing running again is going to take a lot of work. A then there's actual work-work, which I must do to feed myself and pay rent. Actually, I just feed others now, things are so bad I can't even stomach the thought of eating.

I'm sorry if I wasted anyone's time and would like to remain a member to take care of computer issues as they either get worse or revive themselves.

I thank you for your time and understanding.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:40 PM

No worries and glad you posted back that you're still willing to resolve this as soon as you've weathered the storm. :thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users