Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with Router Extending

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:28 PM

Hey guys, I'm trying to extend my router signal but am running into trouble.

First, second and third try were successful but only for a few hours. After that, I can't get it to work at all. I've been following these directions...

Spoiler

I got the directions from a comment on amazon because that's where I bought my 2nd router to use as an extender. I bought this router.

My initial router is an AT&T U-Verse router. It's used for the internet and TV service.

The only difference from the directions I used is I changed my router extender to 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.3.1 because my U-Verse router is 192.168.1.254. Other than that, I pretty much used all the same directions..

All and any help is appreciated. I'm open to all questions that lean towards a solution.

Hulk_Tag.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:07 AM

What happens when it stops working?

#3 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:27 PM

When it worked then stopped working the first few times, it was usually overnight so when I tried going on afterwards, there was just no internet connection.

Although, now when I try setting it up and it doesn't work at all, the internet goes down completely. Sometimes the TV service too. I always have to hard reset the main router.

Hulk_Tag.png

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:12 PM

AP should have a static ip in the main routers lan subnet

Lease should be 24 hours. 2 hrs is too short.  DHCP lease negotiation, for you, starts after 1 hr.

WDS isn't supported on all routers.  Your main router has to support it.  If not don't use it.

I have a dlink main router with a netgear extender.  Assigned the extender a static ip, set the connect to main router wireless options and set the ssid password which in my case is the same as the main router.  End of story.  Works like charm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users