Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU + GPU Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 babicz

babicz

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:57 PM

Planning on upgrading my CPU + GPU

Current

Sapphrire HD 6850

FX 4100

Sabertooth 990FX

Not sure if I want to do an AMD or Intel upgrade. I'll only be 1080p gaming

AMD upgrade (~$520): Sapphire 390 + 8350

Intel upgrade (~$780): MSI 970 + 4690k + Z97-A

AMD pros: significantly cheaper, don't have to upgrade mobo. AMD cons: slower? Not worth it?

Intel pros: faster? Better investment? Intel cons: significantly more expensive.

I don't have a strict budget, but want to get people's opinions

What do you think? Also, any feedback on the parts listed? Maybe mix AMD and Intel GPUs?

Thanks

Edited by babicz, 12 July 2015 - 08:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:35 PM

Planning on upgrading my CPU + GPU

Current

Sapphrire HD 6850

FX 4100

Sabertooth 990FX

Not sure if I want to do an AMD or Intel upgrade. I'll only be 1080p gaming

AMD upgrade (~$520): Sapphire 390 + 8350

Intel upgrade (~$780): MSI 970 + 4690k + Z97-A

AMD pros: significantly cheaper, don't have to upgrade mobo. AMD cons: slower? Not worth it?

Intel pros: faster? Better investment? Intel cons: significantly more expensive.

I don't have a strict budget, but want to get people's opinions

What do you think? Also, any feedback on the parts listed? Maybe mix AMD and Intel GPUs?

Thanks

Babicz,

I would definitely go with an Intel based computer build?

Why?

Best investment for your money in the long run. Yes, it's more expensive than AMD, but Intel has done a good job making high quality processors that always consistently outperform AMD processors in benchmark testing.

Let's say for the sake of comparison...

Your budget is set at $800.

You get that Intel based build... similar to what you suggested.... i5 4690k, Z97 Intel chipset motherboard, plus the GTX 970. Those are very good options to start out with.

Now, you build an AMD computer based on the same budget.

I can guarantee you that the Intel build will outperform the AMD build by a large margin.

Don't be fooled by AMD 8 core processor! You think that more cores equates to better speed and power. Not compared to an Intel 8 core processor. The Intel 8 core processor will blow the doors off the AMD 8 core processor. It's all largely due to the architecture of how the processors are designed and made.I can go on and on about this.

There are many newer quad core Intel processors that will outperform either 6 or 8 core AMD processors. Yes! I have seen it happen in person.

Anyways, once you decide on the exact budget, we can help you find the right parts and suggest a great computer build for you.

Just to give you an idea... here's my suggest computer build for $837.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($100.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  ($328.95 @ Amazon) 
Total: $837.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-12 23:31 EDT-0400

Now, if you are willing to drop the graphics card down a notch... to the GTX 960, the price will be $771.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($100.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card  ($262.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $771.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-12 23:34 EDT-0400

#3 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:08 AM

Intel CPU all the way, but i would save money on the Intel flagship CPU that are coming soon on August if you can wait, the new flagship code name are Skylake and Broadwell, because it's going to be interesting to see how it line up against Haswell and Haswell-E.

intel_skl_pefrormance.png

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:59 AM

Take synthetic benchmarks with a grain of salt.  When measuring performance with CPU's and GPU's, look more closely at real world performance.  Preferably with programs you are going to be running.

If you replace your motherboard, you will need to purchase Windows again if you are using an OEM/System Builder edition.  This is due to how the license is tied to your motherboard and how Microsoft defines what a PC is in the EULA.

In your initial post, you give two approximate prices of ~$520 ~$780.  Just how much higher are you willing to go?  For a gaming build, a good GPU is where you should put your money with a decent processor.  If you want to save money and redirect it to the GPU, I would suggest keeping your motherboard and getting an FX-8350 and pair it with either your intended GPU or something like the GTX 980.  Personally, I lean more towards Nvidia due to drivers.

3939.png

#5 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:39 AM

Take synthetic benchmarks with a grain of salt.  When measuring performance with CPU's and GPU's, look more closely at real world performance.  Preferably with programs you are going to be running.

** Rest of post deleted for brevity **

I agree that by posting those benchmarks aren't really useful the "average" computer user.

Geeks like us would understand, but not your average "Joe" and "Jane" out there.

That's what I always do when I built computer systems for the end user. I look at their 'real world' situation and attempt to adapt the computer build to their situation.

Even though I have preferred Intel based computer builds, I have done numerous AMD based computer builds based on consumer preference or situation.

#6 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:01 AM

I agree that by posting those benchmarks aren't really useful the "average" computer user.

Geeks like us would understand, but not your average "Joe" and "Jane" out there.

That's what I always do when I built computer systems for the end user. I look at their 'real world' situation and attempt to adapt the computer build to their situation.

Even though I have preferred Intel based computer builds, I have done numerous AMD based computer builds based on consumer preference or situation

Buzzsaw thanks for the regards, i never thought i take my geek too far for average computer users in bleepincomputer forum, because i thought CHART should be helpful compare to LONG VIDEO. Anyway, both of your build are great for gaming user  :thumbup2: , but i feels like a 128GB SSD should be added in that part list because it'll help computer a lot for booting faster. However, if the budget exceed the OP suggest by adding an SSD then i would stuck with your build. Matter of fact, i thought bleepingcomputer forum should have more geek users, not just only me and you and the other guy( i forgot his name).

#7 babicz

babicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:00 PM

I agree that...

Buzzsaw thanks for the regards...

I said in my original post that I'm upgrading the CPU + GPU of my current system. I already have 750W, 2x128, 8GB. I actually don't follow any benchmarking programs at all, I prefer to search for actual game benchmarks. That is, running games maxed out at 1080p, 1440p, 4k, etc, and seeing how a particular card performs in relation to competing cards. Even then I only use it as a general guide to the relative performance, and don't base my decision solely on one benchmark, I look at as many as I can find.

Since I'm upgrading both CPU + GPU, would I see a significant performance increase (not just in games) with an i5 + 970 (+ new mobo) over 8350 + 390? Keyword on significant. That's kind of what I want to determine, since the price difference is significant between the two

Thanks for your input

Edited by babicz, 14 July 2015 - 03:08 PM.

#8 babicz

babicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

In your initial post, you give two approximate prices of ~$520 ~$780.  Just how much higher are you willing to go?  For a gaming build, a good GPU is where you should put your money with a decent processor.  If you want to save money and redirect it to the GPU, I would suggest keeping your motherboard and getting an FX-8350 and pair it with either your intended GPU or something like the GTX 980.  Personally, I lean more towards Nvidia due to drivers.

I'm not looking for a 1080p+ gaming system or anything crazy; the 980 is overkill my opinion. As in my response to JerkyMcDilerino, I want to know if I'll see any significant performance difference (not just gaming) in upgrading to an i5 + 970 (+ new mobo) over 8350 + 390. Sure, I could go 8350 + 980 as you suggested, but if I can go 8350 + 390 I would obviously prefer to save the $200 if the i5 + 970 isn't going to be significantly better.

Hope this makes sense, thanks for your input

#9 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:16 PM

I'm not looking for a 1080p+ gaming system or anything crazy; the 980 is overkill my opinion. As in my response to JerkyMcDilerino, I want to know if I'll see any significant performance difference (not just gaming) in upgrading to an i5 + 970 (+ new mobo) over 8350 + 390. Sure, I could go 8350 + 980 as you suggested, but if I can go 8350 + 390 I would obviously prefer to save the $200 if the i5 + 970 isn't going to be significantly better.

Hope this makes sense, thanks for your input

Well, that goes back to what I posted earlier...

The i5 + GTX 970 will be better than the 8350 with either the GTX 980 or the R9 390. 

Why?

The AMD 8350 will be bottle-necking the maximum performance of either graphic card. You don't want that.

Why pay for a brand new graphics card only to find out that old AMD processor is slowing it down? You just wasted your money.

To avoid that scenario, go with the i5 4690k processor (and new motherboard) to assure yourself that you will get the maximum and best performance out of any high end graphics card you do end up buying.

Just my measly 3 cents...

#10 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:07 AM

babicz, you should pick one of those Buzzsaw build suggestion, an i5 4690k will destroy FX 8350 when it comes to performance. AMD only win when it comes to specifications, but when it comes to performance per value Intel in this hand just clean up the house. If i were you, i would pick Intel CPU over any AMD CPU any day, and i'm not a fan of Intel of anything like that, but that is the fact on the internet i5 Haswell > FX 8000 series. Just take a look at i7 - 4770k at 4.2GHz already destroy the mighty super overwatts consume AMD FX 9590 5.0GHz CPU 220W CPU. 

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:24 AM

An FX-8350 will not significantly bottleneck even a GTX 980.  Here's an article testing a GTX 980 paired with an FX-8350.  To determine which upgrade path to take, consider the cost.  Doing a platform change is always more expensive than upgrading to a newer, more powerful CPU that your current motherboard supports.  If you are considering a platform change, I suggest waiting until Intel's Skylake CPU's are out.

Here's an interesting article on quad core processors and just how much power is needed with games.

3939.png

#12 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:27 AM

Here's my $750 build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/nkRG3C

I think it's the best you can get for under $800.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#13 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:28 AM

An FX-8350 will not significantly bottleneck even a GTX 980.  Here's an article testing a GTX 980 paired with an FX-8350.  To determine which upgrade path to take, consider the cost.  Doing a platform change is always more expensive than upgrading to a newer, more powerful CPU that your current motherboard supports.  If you are considering a platform change, I suggest waiting until Intel's Skylake CPU's are out.

Here's an interesting article on quad core processors and just how much power is needed with games.

An interesting comment there... "will not significantly bottleneck"... implies that the FX-8350 *will* bottleneck the GTX 980 to a certain extent.

If someone is going to invest a good sized amount of money on a GTX 980, why even try to reduce that graphics card's performance?

It doesn't make sense to do so. 

The cheapest GTX 980 is $480 (as of this posting) is a good sized investment and if it was me, I don't want ANYTHING to slow that beast down especially if I am playing games online.

Just my measly 3 cents...

#14 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:43 PM

FX 8350 will not bottneck GTX 980 unless you go with SLI.

#15 babicz

babicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:03 PM

I've decided to wait it out over summer. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users