Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Partition

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:34 PM

Does Windows 7 come with a Recovery Partition?

I typed in Recovery after clicking the Start button but am not sure of the options.  The one in question says "Restore your computer or reinstall windows" among others, but, don't know if this is the proper option.  I have some recovery discs but want to know if this option is available also.  I used it in XP before, and was very fast as opposed to the Re-install.

Thanks pcpunk!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

Windows 7 itself does not install any recovery partition, but the manufacturers of namebrand systems normally have the Windows installer on a recovery partition. As it happens I've just utilised that recovery option on my Toshiba laptop to generate a recovery USB flash drive and re-install onto a new SSD, because Disc 1 of the recovery disc set was corrupted.

If there is a recovery partition on a system, you will see it as a partition in Disk Management. On my laptop it isn't actually called anything like Recovery, in some brands it is, mine is a 13.39GB Primary partition not allocated a drive letter.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,281 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:19 PM

So, if I understand right, some W7 pc's will have a Recovery partition-but that depends on the Manufacturer.  On my XP, is was blatantly clear, there was an icon on the desktop and in the Programs List etc.  So if I had one wouldn't it be like that, I would see something in the Programs list?  There sure isn't anything on the desktop.

Also, I wanted to show my partitions but don't know if there is a default screenshot device in W7?  If not I will get one tomorrow.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,648 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:29 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? Windows 7 has the snipping tool to grab a window. It's in Accessories.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-capture-screen-shots#1TC=windows-7

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,281 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:26 PM

JohnC_21, Thanks, I will use that!

The pc in question is the Toshiba in my Signature with Speccy.  I looked and it don't seem to have a Recovery Partition.  It does however have two partitions but the one/first one is too small to be Recovery I think.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,281 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:33 PM

Thanks again John, here it is:

dm70hl.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,859 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:45 PM

You're right, no recovery partition just the regular configuration of System Reserved and the C: partition filling the remainder of the drive.

The Windows 7 installation is dated this year, is it an upgrade from XP? Are the recovery discs you have ones created from the Windows 7 installation?

Edited by Platypus, 12 July 2015 - 11:47 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,281 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:48 PM

I looked at that screenshot for two full minutes trying to figure out how you knew when it was installed...then remembered that my Speccy is in Signature LOL.

A friend of mine gave this to me, he repairs pc's and sometimes a customer will give him one.  He reinstalled Windows7 from homemade recovery discs that I now posses.  I guess a pc don't always come with the OEM disks? and that the owner has to make them upon purchasing pc, especially with W7 right?

I guess I will have to create some with my current setup, until I can find a drive to use to backup.

I'm also trying to understand about how the recovery partition works.  Can it be used to back up a current config, or is it locked into just the clean factory setup.

Thanks Platypus!!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:18 AM

Most manufacturers have a recovery partition which is a destructive installation.  This means that it will effectively reinstall Windows over the existing copy.  It will revert the operating system to the condition it was in when it first came out of the box.  You will lose all of the programs you have installed, your pictures, movies, music, etc.  It will also remove any updates which were downloaded after you first started using the computer.

There are a few manufacturers who provide the option for a non-destructive installation, HP and Gateway are two of these.  With this option you will not lose the things you would with a destructive installation.

The recovery partition can not be used for anything other than reinstalling the operating system.

Back when XP was still supported installation discs were provided by OEM manufacturers.  If I remember correctly, Vista was the first operating system OEM computers that had recovery partitions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,281 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:19 PM

Thanks dc3! but XP did have Recovery Partitions, and some had non-destructive recovery as you explained.  I had one that's how I know, but didn't know or was unsure about windows seven one, or them in general, still learning.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 959 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:07 AM

What happened to the Original Post ?  I tried to respond but permission wasnt allowed. ?

Compaq Presario CQ62 210US

Started by pcpunk, Today, 02:47 PM

Or is this a New Topic here  ?

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,281 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:57 AM

Havachat, this is my computer, the other is a friend of mine that I was TRYING to help out lol.  Clearly the other one has a recovery partition but I was unsure about this one.  I'm guessing...if there is one, there will be more than two partitions, that will be a quick way for me to see next time I look at a partition table.  Thanks for the help!!!

Here is the other link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582920/compaq-presario-cq62-210us/

Edited by pcpunk, 15 July 2015 - 02:57 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,281 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:59 AM

And thanks again dc3 for the good description about the Recovery process, that helped a lot!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

Thanks dc3! but XP did have Recovery Partitions, and some had non-destructive recovery as you explained.  I had one that's how I know, but didn't know or was unsure about windows seven one, or them in general, still learning.

From what you posted I think that perhaps you still may not fully understand the system recovery partition.

If you have a HDD with only the operating system installed on it you will have two partitions.  The partition which the operating system is installed on (usually the C: drive), and a second titled System Reserve.  The System Reserve partition holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database.  It also reserves space for the startup files required by the BitLockerDrive Encryptionion feature.  This partition is 100MB in size.

The recovery partition has no association with a Windows operating system, no matter which one it is.  This is in a partition on the HDD which the manufacturer provided.

I believe what you may be confusing this with is the System Restore.  This allows you to roll back the operating system to a prior date if there is a problem which has occurred since your last restore point was created.  Let's say you downloaded a program and it is now causing problems.  You can use the system restore to roll back to a restore point prior to the download of this program.

I hope this helps clarify this for you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,281 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:25 AM

dc3, another good post for me to learn thanks!  XP did have Recovery partitions though, not all but some, what percentage I don't know.  It was provided by the pc manufacturer as I understand it.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07145

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users