Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't start up past logo screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:31 PM

Hi,

Please help.

My desktop has been randomly rebooting on its own & now I can't boot up :(

I'm on Win 7

I've tried to restart several times. I'm afraid to do the repair option b/c the last time I did that last year, I almost lost all my data. But I guess I have no choice now. 

It could be the heat in this apt. as my landlords are slum landlords, they refuse to fix anything & I've been dealing with 90-107 degree heat b/c the AC won't stop running & I can't afford to run it 24/7.

I don't know what to do, now I can't work :(

Thank you in advance

Edited by ep2002, 12 July 2015 - 07:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,146 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

Try booting it while repeatedly tapping F8 that should get you into safe mode, it could be a damaged driver that the system can't load.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:06 PM

Ok, I ran the startup repair & it said it couldn't repair it, so I did a restart & IT STARTED THANK GAWD.

Thunderbird took forever to load twice. That made me very nervous.

What do I do to fix this problem so it doesn't happen again?

Thanks

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,146 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:39 PM

Wait for one of the upper/smarter folks, you may have a bug.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:49 PM

LOL, k, I hope they see this thread.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:47 PM

First thing - backup your data!

If the problem happens again you may not be so lucky - so a backup will ensure that you don't lose anything essential.

Even though you're not having BSOD's, please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

I'd also like a copy of this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:55 AM

Hi there,

Here you go...

I believe someone already put this monitoring software on my computer, (there's 2 of them), but I never know how to read them & of course they don't show up unless everything else is shut down.

Should I DL this latest version? It's been a while since those were put there.

I didn't know one of them tracks the fan, I've been wanting to know if the fans have been working properly.

Thanks

Michelle

Attached Files

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

There is a device named Michelle that's having problems.

What is this device?  Is it possible to uninstall it's software and then physically remove it from the system?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:09 PM

What do you mean Device??? LOL

You mean my HD?

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:04 AM

There's something named "Michelle" on your computer that's spitting errors.

It's connected to Port_#0003.Hub_#0009

It's most likely a USB device, but I can't seem to locate it in any of the reports.

What USB devices did you have connected to the system when you ran the reports?

While you're at it, uninstall LogMeIn and ensure that the disabled LogMeIn device in Device Manager is removed (after you reboot).

#11 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:51 AM

Ok, I'l do the LogMein once I get the computer back. I deleted it, but won't have time to remove it from device manager.

I'm taking it in today to get the guts moved over to a new case.

I don't know how to find that port, how do I find it?

I'm attaching a SS of my desktop & the tree on the left.

I've pointed to anything named Michelle plus the 3 sticks I have attached to my USB hub, none of which are named Michelle.

Just to be clear if I didn't already mention it, I have my old HD from my old computer in this case too & there are some files/folders that just won't delete. I even had someone who claimed he was a geek on my computer & he couldn't delete them either, but none of them are named Michelle.

I had a big scare yesterday where again the computer just rebooted & this time it wouldn't boot up even to just before the Windows screen & then made a beeping noise.

After a few restarts she rebooted THANK GAWD.

I did install that monitoring software that wasn't on my computer. Earlier today it was VERY hot, like around 176 F. It's cooled down now that the apt. is cooler. I'm attaching those files too.

Thank you

Attached Files

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

Just FYI - most tech's prefer to use ºC rather than ºF

The report states that the system was at 185ºF (= 86ºC)

As the system's moving to a new case, now would be a good time to have them check the thermal paste between the CPU and it's cooler.

If the temps go much higher, the system will start to exhibit problems

But, since it seems to take a while for it to get up that hot - I'd have to wonder if that's what's causing the logon problem (as the system should be cooled down at that point)

Try this free tool to see if you can identify the Michelle device:  http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

I haven't used this tool in many years, but it was easier to use than trying to scan through Device Manager manually.
Just look for "Michelle" and for the Port_#0003.Hub_#0009 location.

Make sure to check anything that says USB on it.

#13 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:37 AM

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Ok, so I got everything moved over & yes, the paste was all gone from there :(  The entire system had dust in it. I will have to be way more diligent in blowing it out.

The guy who did the job, although nice, doesn't seem to be too smart.

1. first he tells me I don't need all the fans in my case, only the one for the processor.

Are you kidding me? I purposely got this case with 3-4 fans b/c I was in Panama at the time & now I'm here & it's WAY hotter than Panama.

2. Tells me I shouldn't be running Avast AND Malewarebytes at the same time, that studies have been done to say they are both anti virus conflicting software.

I said noooo, MBAM is anti maleware, not anti virus.

Anyway, I spoke to another geek who says yes, they may conflict on the backend, but they should still work & I e-mailed MBAM & the guy who responded says he's been using Avast & MBAM for 10 years with no problems.

I made him put all the fans on & a friend who isn't a geek, but he thinks he is, says I should get this thermal cooling device, as I'm hoping I'm moving overseas & that country will also be very hot.

What are your thoughts? I can send you the URL to the one he found on NewEgg.

The computer hasn't had the same issue since the case was switched, BUT a problem I have had for about a month now that is really concerning me is still happening.

My computer is taking forever to load. He even commented on it & I have tons of memory & while it's not the fasted processor (the person who helped me choose the computer wasn't smart I later found out), it should't take this long to load.

AND it takes forever just for the desktop to load. I get the blue desktop screen (empty) & it literally takes almost 5+ minutes to start loading the icons on the desktop.

So if we can figure that out, that would be great.

As for what is launching on startup, there's only 2-3 pieces he mentioned I am okay with stopping upon startup, the rest I need & still it shouldn't take that long with the system I have.

I will try to get that task you sent me done in the next few days or so.

Thanks a ton

Michelle

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

I strongly disagree with only a CPU fan in the case.

There's most likely one in the PSU also, but I advise at least one to move air through the case.  Otherwise the CPU fan will be sucking hot air onto the CPU.

You can see that most OEM's will include a case fan - and they don't put in anything that's not needed.

Case fans should balance the airflow (air in = air out).  If you're not able to exactly balance it, err on the side of a little more air in than air out - as this will cause an overpressure that will help to keep dust out.

As you have a dusty environment, cleaning the case out regularly is very important.

As for Avast and MalwareBytes, recently I've seen a lot of problems with systems that have both showing up in BSOD's.

Both are good programs, but as such they want to have sole access to the file system (in case of malware).

If this happens when they are trying to "own" the same file it could cause problems - either letting malware in, or causing system crashes

I suggest that you don't let MalwareBytes load on boot.  This is a feature that's turned on when you allow the installer to install the trial of the Pro version.

Even if problems aren't common, it only takes one problem for it to affect you.

I suggest testing it by uninstalling MBAM, then reinstalling it without the Pro trial (uncheck it during installation).

As for the system loading, there's many things that'll affect this.
See the Autoruns report in the files that you uploaded - it shows nearly everything that starts when the computer is turned on.

Mamory can affect this also, but it isn't all that critical unless you're way, way overloading things.

Another thing is dying hard drive.  As it reads data, the dying drive isn't sure if the data is correcct - so it rereads it several times (which causes a huge delay) until it gets answers that agree.

The way to test this is with this free diagnostic procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

You can also run the rest of the free diagnostics here:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Also, since he's switched the case, please generate a new SysnativeFileCollectionApp report and post it here

We'll see what it says (and we'll check to see if the "Michelle" device is still there).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users