Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Pro still "not responding"

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 hullodare

hullodare

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:38 PM

My Windows 7 Pro PC has been having "not responding" eposides for more than a year. Maybe two. I essentially just wait out the freezes. I have never lost work. After the 4 minute "Not responding" episode is over everything is fine.....until the next freeze. The computer does this probabaly 6 times per day. sometimes more than that. I ran SFC/Scannow and got the following:

My PC specs are as follows:

CUSTOM DESKTOP COMPUTER, Core™ i7 2-way SLI® DDR3 24GB Performance Series System $0.00 1 $0.00 ANTEC, Performance One P183 Black Mid-Tower Computer Case, ATX, No PSU $0.00 0 $0.00 ANTEC, Signature 650 Power Supply, 650W, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, One 6-pin + One 8-pin PCIe, SLI Certified $0.00 0 $0.00 ASUS, P6T Deluxe V2, LGA1366, Intel® X58, 6400 MT/s QPI, DDR3-2000 (O.C.) 24GB /6, PCIe x16 SLI CF /3, SATA 3 Gb/s RAID 5 /6, HDA, GbLAN /2, FW /2, ATX, Retail $0.00 0 $0.00 INTEL, Core™ i7-920 Quad-Core 2.66GHz, LGA1366, 4.8 GT/s QPI, 8MB L3 Cache, 45nm, 130W, EM64T EIST VT XD, Retail $0.00 0 $0.00 NOCTUA, NH-U12P Copper CPU Cooler, Socket 1366 $0.00 0 $0.00 CORSAIR, 12GB (6 x 2GB) XMS3 PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.65V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC $0.00 0 $0.00 GIGABYTE, GV-N96TSL-1GI, GeForce® 9600 GT 650MHz, 1GB GDDR3 1800MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, VGA+DVI, HDMI, Retail $0.00 0 $0.00 WESTERN DIGITAL, 150GB (WD1500HLFS) WD VelociRaptor™, SATA 3 Gb/s, 10000 RPM, 16MB cache $0.00 0 $0.00 WESTERN DIGITAL, 1TB WD Caviar® Black™ (WD1001FALS), SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 32MB Cache $0.00 0 $0.00 RAID, No RAID, Independent HDD Drives $0.00 0 $0.00 LITE-ON, iHDS118 Black 18x48x DVD-ROM Drive, SATA, OEM $0.00 0 $0.00 LITE-ON, iHAS324 Black 24x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner w/ Smart Erase, SATA, Retail $0.00 0 $0.00 SILVERSTONE, SST-FP35 Black Internal 30-in-1 Card Reader & I/O Panel Device , 3.5" Bay, USB $0.00 0 $0.00 MICROSOFT, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Edition, OEM

Attached Files

Edited by hullodare, 13 July 2015 - 03:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hullodare

hullodare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:48 PM

I just did this:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

Hopefully this will assist someone who needs it for analysys.

Attached Files

Edited by hullodare, 13 July 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

Nothing real clear in the report that you uploaded.

If possible, please make (or wait for the system to freeze), then run the report immediately afterwards.

That way the errors (if any) will be near the end of the report.

Meanwhile, let's start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

I don't expect a hardware problem, but some of the errors that I noted in the Admin log could have been caused by a hard drive problem.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 hullodare

hullodare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:30 PM

The zip file I uploaded was immeditaly after a "Not responding" episode.

#5 hullodare

hullodare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:33 PM

I have done all the tests at carrona.org in the recent past. I passed them all. Hardware is not the problem.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:44 AM

There's nothing firm in the Admin event log.

Let's start with the errors that are there, and work our way through them.

The first series of errors (and, IMO, the most suspect) are the VDS Basic Provider errors.

2 things to try here (from this page:  http://community.spiceworks.com/windows_event/show/1206-vds-basic-provider-1 )

1)  Set the VDS service to start automatically (in the services.msc snapin of the MMC)

2)  Remove virtual CD/CD emulation software

This error can also be caused by virtual CD software, such as: Daemon Tools, Alcohol 12%, Virtual CloneDrive, etc.

This can be safely ignored, per microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979391

But if you don't want it showing up in your logs, you can try what aidan_GBE suggested. In Computer Management > Services (services.msc) Go to the 'Virtual Disk' service and change it from Manual to Automatic startup [vds].

If you are using CD emulation/virtual software, uninstalling such software and removing/disabling the SPTD driver should also remove the error: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-vds-basic-provider-error-code-49001010004-in-event-viewer-on-windows-7

Please note that setting the service to automatic may appear to fix things - but actually it's just hiding it.

The true fix here would be to remove the virtual/emulated CD software - and if that didn't fix it, then to set the service to automatic.

Edited by usasma, 14 July 2015 - 05:46 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 hullodare

hullodare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:48 PM

I have zero virtual CD/CD emulation software on my PC. I did set the VDS service to start automatically. If that works then you're the ultimate superhero of PC fixers. I'll keep you posted.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for the compliment, but it's just a guess on my part.

If it doesn't work, then we'll work on other things that are present in the logfile.

#9 hullodare

hullodare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:15 PM

Darn! I just had another dreaded "Not Responding" episode. I zipped up an event viewer file immediatly after the PC unfroze. Here it is:

Attached Files

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:51 AM

Nothing real significant in the Admin logifle.

The most obvious error is for BitLocker - are you using that?

There is an error for a USB storage device - what USB devices do you have connected to the system?

There's also an error for this USB storage device: Genesys Logic® USB Multislot Card Reader

- can you disconnect it?  If not, please be sure to download a fresh driver package, then uninstall the current driver package before installing the freshly downloaded drivers.

#11 hullodare

hullodare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:02 AM

Hmmm.....very strange. I used to have a SILVERSTONE card reader not a Genesys Logic card reader. My current card reader is a Kingston USB 3.0. Also.....I have no idea what Bitlocker is. Never used it. **edit** I just read a little about bitlocker. I have never used it on this PC. It's part of Windows. I don't see how it would effect me considering I'm not using it.

Edited by hullodare, 18 July 2015 - 11:14 AM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

As for the card reader, the manufacturer of the reader may use drivers developed by another manufacturer (usually because they also use chips/hardware from that manufacturer).

Try to update the Kingston driver and see if that helps.

Ensure that you remove all traces of the Silverstone reader also.

As for BitLocker - some systems (most notable the Surface tablets) use BitLocker by default (the user generally doesn't even know if it's running or not).

What is the make and model of your system

#13 hullodare

hullodare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:54 PM

It was custom Made by AVA Direct. They do superb work. Specs are here:

My PC specs are as follows:

CUSTOM DESKTOP COMPUTER, Core™ i7 2-way SLI® DDR3 24GB Performance Series System $0.00 1 $0.00 ANTEC, Performance One P183 Black Mid-Tower Computer Case, ATX, No PSU $0.00 0 $0.00 ANTEC, Signature 650 Power Supply, 650W, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, One 6-pin + One 8-pin PCIe, SLI Certified $0.00 0 $0.00 ASUS, P6T Deluxe V2, LGA1366, Intel® X58, 6400 MT/s QPI, DDR3-2000 (O.C.) 24GB /6, PCIe x16 SLI CF /3, SATA 3 Gb/s RAID 5 /6, HDA, GbLAN /2, FW /2, ATX, Retail $0.00 0 $0.00 INTEL, Core™ i7-920 Quad-Core 2.66GHz, LGA1366, 4.8 GT/s QPI, 8MB L3 Cache, 45nm, 130W, EM64T EIST VT XD, Retail $0.00 0 $0.00 NOCTUA, NH-U12P Copper CPU Cooler, Socket 1366 $0.00 0 $0.00 CORSAIR, 12GB (6 x 2GB) XMS3 PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.65V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC $0.00 0 $0.00 GIGABYTE, GV-N96TSL-1GI, GeForce® 9600 GT 650MHz, 1GB GDDR3 1800MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, VGA+DVI, HDMI, Retail $0.00 0 $0.00 WESTERN DIGITAL, 150GB (WD1500HLFS) WD VelociRaptor™, SATA 3 Gb/s, 10000 RPM, 16MB cache $0.00 0 $0.00 WESTERN DIGITAL, 1TB WD Caviar® Black™ (WD1001FALS), SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 32MB Cache $0.00 0 $0.00 RAID, No RAID, Independent HDD Drives $0.00 0 $0.00 LITE-ON, iHDS118 Black 18x48x DVD-ROM Drive, SATA, OEM $0.00 0 $0.00 LITE-ON, iHAS324 Black 24x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner w/ Smart Erase, SATA, Retail $0.00 0 $0.00 SILVERSTONE, SST-FP35 Black Internal 30-in-1 Card Reader & I/O Panel Device , 3.5" Bay, USB $0.00 0 $0.00 MICROSOFT, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Edition, OEM

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:55 AM

Wait for the next time that it freezes up, reboot, and then generate a new set of reports.

Good luck!

#15 hullodare

hullodare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:58 PM

Wait for the next time that it freezes up, reboot, and then generate a new set of reports.

Good luck!

OK.. My PC just froze again. I rebooted and generated a new set of reports. They are attached.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users