Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem adding a row in a Pages table

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:22 PM

I'm running an IMac with 10.6.8 and have Pages '09, ver. 4.0.5.  Been using a table I created over a year ago that has simple rows & columns, nothing fancy. Before today whenever I got to the last cell in the end of a row I'd just press 'enter' and a new row was created; press multiple times & multiple rows were created. Not now. If I have the last cell in the table highlighted & press enter, the cell & the whole row has a new line added, so that if I press enter 3 times the cell becomes 3X taller. 

Went to Format ---> Table ---> but the option to "add a new row below" was grayed out. The 'Help' directions don't make any sense to me. In the Table options in the Table Inspector the "Return key moves to the next cell" is checked. 

Anyone have the solution to add a new row to the table?

Thanks.

Edited by Twin B, 12 July 2015 - 06:23 PM.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 skyvertex

skyvertex

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:35 PM

Don't know if this helps but I found a similar problem and response below

You have set this up in a *Layout Mode* document.

Redo the table as an inline object in a *Word Processing* document, then it will flow onto the next page.

If all you are doing is a spreadsheet why not do it in Numbers, or simply not do it as a table.

Just do it as a list unless you need some calculations.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2635566?tstart=0

#3 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:48 PM

a

Edited by Twin B, 12 July 2015 - 06:54 PM.

#4 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for searching & your reply. It didn't solve the problem; I don't know how to redo the table as an inline object, & I can't use Numbers because the table has both numbers & words. But thanks anyway. Maybe someone else can think of a solution to my problem. The weird thing is it was working fine & then just stopped. 

#5 skyvertex

skyvertex

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:49 AM

i think to set the table as an inline object you select it go to format --> arrange-->text wrap --> inline with text.

Unfortunately I haven't used a mac in a long time (so I'm not sure this will help), but hopefully if this doesn't work it will at least bump the topic so someone better informed will help.

#6 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:34 PM

I found the answer. After getting past the moron at the door in the Apple store who wanted me to call a support person in New Delhi, I found someone who knew about the problem. A table in Pages will only allow 999 rows of information. That's what I had so he transferred the data to a Numbers worksheet which has no limits, and apparently can deal with both numbers and words. So I'm back in business. 

#7 skyvertex

skyvertex

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:25 PM

glad you found an answer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users