Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Increase Dedicated Video RAM

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kroll17

Kroll17

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:14 PM

Hello!

First, hello and I am really sorry if I am asking a foolish question. I am both new here and haven't had a Desktop PC in years so I am kind of stumped on how to deal with this.

I got a new PC recently, you can see the specs below. I looked up a few - rather demanding - games that I intend to play at "Can You RUN It" and the only aspect I hardly ever seem to fulfill is the Dedicated Video RAM. Now, I am - as I said - not extremely well-versed with computers so I had to look that up and found this guide:

http://www.pvladov.com/2013/10/increase-intel-hd-graphics-dedicated-video-memory.html

I tried looking through BIOS, but I didn't find the necessary option. Does my PC even have it? Or rather, is it possible for me to do it at all without upgrading my PC (I just upgraded the RAM, which was originally only 4 GB). Is it possible that the PC allocates the necessary amount of RAM itself (I heard that there are PCs that do that)?

Sorry again for asking what is probably a dumb question. I would really appreciate it if somebody could tell me what do do.

My specs:

MICROSTAR PROF. I7-4790 1000 B259 AT 1114CZ IAO
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 3.6 GHz
Number of Cores 8

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Chipset GeForce GTX 750
Dedicated Memory 1.0 GB
Total Memory 3.9 GB

Memory 8.2 GB (ursprünglich 4.1 GB)

Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

First off, welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Since you have a discrete card the only option is to replace the card with a card that has more video RAM.  If you're looking to play the more demanding games you're probably looking for the 970 line.  You will need a power supply that is 500 watts or better.

#3 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:54 PM

Actually I have a 750 Ti and I rarely ever experience lag.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:41 PM

A 750 Ti is a low end gaming card.  When the video card is actually a card you can't upgrade the memory on it.  Also you might look into cards like 960 or more likely a 970 as they would be way faster  than a 750.  Depending on the game, and the quality settings in the game will also very greatly.  If you are experiencing slowness in games try lowering the settings, then if that doesn't work too. You will have to drop the money on a higher end card. 

#5 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:43 PM

A 750 Ti is a low end gaming card.  When the video card is actually a card you can't upgrade the memory on it.  Also you might look into cards like 960 or more likely a 970 as they would be way faster  than a 750.  Depending on the game, and the quality settings in the game will also very greatly.  If you are experiencing slowness in games try lowering the settings, then if that doesn't work too. You will have to drop the money on a higher end card. 

What? I thought an 8400 GS is low end. My 750 Ti can tackle any game at medium-high settings while still being playable. I thought it was a mid-range one.

EDIT: I have the 750 Ti Superclocked edition, with both the memory and GPU clocks overclocked a further 100 MHz.

Edited by gigawert, 14 July 2015 - 09:44 PM.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#6 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:59 PM

I guess it all depends on what games.  I consider it a low end gaming card, but a mid range video card.  Sorry should have been more specific. 

#7 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:59 PM

Eh, maybe it's just my ice-age 1280x1024 monitor.

#8 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:05 PM

Yeah that makes a huge difference.  It has to do half the work at that resolution.  I am still trying to accept that my two HD 5870s are out of date... along with my phenom II 955. Haha 

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:04 PM

Enough already...can we give the OP his/her topic back?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users