Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cyclic redundancy error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fatugly

fatugly

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:58 PM

Installed  external hard drive for back up.

Got "cyclic redundancy error."
saved some files to it, but this error message occurred when I tried to save a document

Have windows 

grateful for any help

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:15 PM

Hi fatugly :)

This error is often caused by errors on the drive, I suggest you to run a CHKDSK on it to fix the bad sectors present and recover the information if possible.

EndqYRa.pngCheck Disk (chkdsk)
Follow the instructions below to run a CHKDSK scan on your Windows partition;
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command chkdsk /r (there's a space between "chkdsk" and "/r") and press on Enter;
  • A message will be returned, stating that the drive cannot be locked because it's already in use, and you'll be asked if you want to schedule the scan for the next restart. Enter y and press on Enter;
  • Restart your computer, and the chkdsk scan will be launched automatically;
  • WARNING: Depending on your hard drive (specs, free space, fragmentation, etc.) this scan can be relatively long to complete. Give it all the time it needs to finish. Do not interrupt it for any reason there is, or you might be damaging your drive in the process and make your Windows unbootable. It's suggested to let this scan run overnight or when you leave the house for a few hours (when you go to work for example). If you are running this scan on a laptop, don't forget to leave it plugged in;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 fatugly

fatugly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:32 PM

Thank you, Aura.

But just realized it was OK until last night when it was dropped...wonder if that was a problem.

will try your solution.

very grateful to you

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,201 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:33 PM

If you dropped the hard drive and it started throwing that error, chances are that it broke at a physical level and will need to be replaced. So do a CHKDSK and if it persists, then consider changing it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 fatugly

fatugly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

I only want to do the CHKDSK on the external hard drive...but it seems that it will do it on the whole computer.

Is there some way I can select the E external hard drive?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,201 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

Yes, use this command instead.

chkdsk E: /r

unite_blue.png

#7 fatugly

fatugly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:50 PM

Will try that later, Aura.

you are the best!!!!

Thank you for your help

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,201 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:51 PM

No problem, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users