Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Install Linux, Can Install Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 HPDinosaur

HPDinosaur

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:19 PM

MODS: I hope I am posting this in the right area. If not, please feel free to move it to the proper location, thank you!

I currently am working with a:

HP Pavilion 8765C

AMD Athlon processor 906.3 Mhz

Mainboard: ASUS K7M

Mainboard Chipset: AMD-750

HDD: Seagate ST3160812A, 149 GB

512 MB RAM

Video Card: ATI Radeon 7500 DDR, 65 MB SDRAM

Bascially my problems began a while back when I was attempting to wipe an old hard drive for use in my computer. The old hard drive had a pirated copy of windows xp on it. This somehow invalidated my legal copy of windows xp on my computer.

It gave me 3 days to revalidate it, which was impossible since support for xp had ended.

Done with microsoft, I decided to try to install Linux MInt 13

Linux wouldn't install, it would keep freezing up during install...improper shut down

Went to 'edit' in Linux: it said something like "path not found"

Seagate Sea tools said my HDD was "security freeze-locked".

Used Hiren's Boot CD to fix that problem.

Still couldn't install Linux.

Purchased another identical Seagate HDD [supposedly a clean HDD] installed it and got the same: "security freeze-locked"

Swapped out my video card, because pc repair guy said I needed a new one.

Still couldn't install Linux.

Programs I've used to try and solve this problem: Hiren's Boot CD and Ultimate Boot CD

While trying to use some of the Linux programs on the boot CDs I would get the following: "decompressing Linux"..... "parsing ELF"......"booting the kernel".......freeze up, improper shut down.

List of problems the boot CDs say I have:

Illegal partition table

NTLDR is missing

Invalid floating point

Incorrect image path

No RAID controllers

LBA out of range

invalid [?] MBR code

Missing digital signatures

Could not find kernel image

...just off the top of my head, too many others too list!

I reinstalled another copy of windows xp, thinking maybe I had some corrupted files?

Windows installs fine!

I spent days using various anti virus, rootkit removal tools, anti malware, etc. They all found problems but couldn't fix them. Some wouldn't download to my computer at all. Dial-up may have been an issue, lol.

This computer has had multiple users, operating systems, and hardware changes in the past.

It could be something as simple as an incorrect jumper setting?

I really think microsoft put a 'bug' in this computer when they invalidated my windows. The computer worked fine up until that point.

I've completely wiped the hard drive using "DBAN", I reset the CMOS, and it still won't load Linux.

So where could the 'bug' be hiding?

I've been told multiple times to just get a new computer, but it's not about the computer. It's about solving a problem.

I'm just an old concrete finisher who doesn't know much about computers, like using a comand line, etc., but I have been learning as I go.

P.S. I know my Linux installation disc is good because I have used it on another computer successfully.

Edited by hamluis, 13 July 2015 - 05:44 AM.
Moved from Gen Security to Linux, edited title to reflect situation - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:44 PM

Athlon should be able to load linux but make sure your CPU supports PAE. If not then you cannot load the later versions of linux.

http://www.technize.net/how-to-check-if-your-processor-supports-pae-nx-and-sse2-for-windows-8-installation/?PageSpeed=noscript

Edit: Linux 13 should work with a non-PAE CPU.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 July 2015 - 02:04 PM.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

Instead of trying Linux 13, which is old and outdated, you should try Linux Mint 17.1. Or better yet, are you able to download a copy of Linux Puppy. This just might be the OS for you. There are plenty of Linux discs for sale on ebay in case you don't have the bandwidth to download a copy, but if I were you I would definately not give up on Linux and I would try a newer version.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 HPDinosaur

HPDinosaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the quick replies.

Right now the computer has no operating system as I have yet again wiped the hard drive.

I think it is worth mentioning at this point I have also tried to install the following OS:

Lucid Puppy

Tiny Core

Haiku [not a Linux OS]

They all respond the same. The Linux installation discs freeze up. The Haiku will only let me get to a comand line and I'm not sure what to do with it.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:27 PM

How did you wipe the drive? Did you zero it out? I am really surprised even Lucid Puppy failed to boot or did it boot but failed to install. 

Are you burning all of these disks on the same optical drive? There may be an issue with the burner. If possible try burning an iso using Imgburn set to no faster than 4X. Do it on another burner if you can.

#6 HPDinosaur

HPDinosaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:00 PM

Wiped the drive first with DBAN then again with Sea Tools. Yes I zero'd it out.

Lucid Puppy will boot then just goes to black screen w/flashing cursor, no further.

As a matter of fact all the discs will boot but never can make it past the black or grey screen w/flashing cursor.

No, not burning all discs on same drive. 1 we bought on the internet, 1 we had our pc repair guy make, 1 was made on a pc at home, and one was put on a flash drive.

As far as the one we made, I know it was burned at 4x, because we had already read about that.

Note: These other discs [Puppy, Tiny Core, Haiku] were also tested on a working computer here. Very similar to the one in question, only lightly newer. They all work on the other computer.

Also, theoretically I have no MBR at the moment?

Edited by HPDinosaur, 12 July 2015 - 04:26 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

I'm really at a loss on why XP can install but anything linux fails. I am not sure what the problem is.  I was thinking it could be RAM but Tiny Core should run on 512MB. It should not matter if there is no MBR on the disk as Puppy runs in RAM. See if this disk boots.

slacko-5.7-NO-pae.iso

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

I am really surprised even Lucid Puppy failed to boot

Me too.

Lucid Puppy will boot then just goes to black screen w/flashing cursor, no further.

Which version of Lucid are you using?

Does the cursor have a # symbol before it? If so, you are at a command line prompt; if not, you aren't.

If at a command line prompt, try typing xorgwizard and see if the graphics set-up wizard starts, then type xwin to start the graphical desktop. If these commands don't work, you might get an error message telling you what the issue is.

If you're not booting to a command line prompt, at the screen that says something like "wait 5 seconds for normal boot-up" press F2, then type puppy pfix=nox and press enter to boot to a command line prompt, then follow the advice above.

The hard drive becomes irrelevant when booting Linux "live" from a CD, DVD or USB. As John mentioned above Puppy will run entirely from RAM, and distros that don't run entirely from RAM will run from the CD/DVD/USB or whatever is being used to boot the system. So the issue has to be something other than the hard drive. To me it sounds like it's the graphics, although I'm surprised that neither Linux 13 or Lucid Puppy are booting as I would expect them to boot on older hardware without any issues. I would also advise trying to boot up any distro "live" before trying to install it, since if it won't boot up live when it's designed to, it's unlikely to work if you install it.

Another distro that might be worth a try is LXLE 12.04.5 as it's specifically designed to run on older hardware. I run it on my laptop and am delighted with it.

Edited by Al1000, 13 July 2015 - 07:37 AM.

#9 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:19 AM

HP Pavilion 8765C . . . Athlon ~ 906.3 Mhz . . . ASUS K7M . . . AMD-750 . . . ST3160812A . . . 512 ~ RAM . . . Radeon 7500 . . . 

HP Dinosaur,

I suspect that you may have other problems, which are masking themselves as HDD issues.

Start from the beginning.

Step One (because your hardware is rather old):

Turn off the PC and unplug the AC power Cable.

Open up the case.

Physically inspect the main board and add in cards.

You have to look at it closely, with a lamp, to see if any of the capacitors are swollen or bulged.

You can tell by touch if a capacitor is swollen, by placing you finger on top of it.  It should be perfectly flat.

If it is even slightly domed, then you have a bad cap.

If you have any swollen or leaking capacitors, you will have problems with which ever controller circuit they are part of.

Let us know how this works out.

Cheers!

Naught.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:29 AM

Another thing I would look at. If you are using a 40wire IDE cable change it to a 80wire if you can get a hold of one.

#11 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

As others have suggested, I think your freezing issue might be the graphics card. According to ( https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver ) the Radeon 7500, using the opensource driver, doesn't have the 3D acceleration capabilites to run Unity, so the CPU is used for graphics too. While you aren't using Unity I imagine the same is probably true for some other desktop environments. Since you don't have a very fast CPU, doing all the graphics work might be why it freezes? I would suggest you try installing an OS that has no GUI (Ubuntu Server perhaps. Does your CPU have PAE?), and see if it freezes. If you're successful you can always try installing a light-weight window-manager after and see how it performs.

#12 marcoose777

marcoose777

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:43 PM

Hi Dinosaur, appologies if you've already tried this. Have you been able to boot into a live disk/usb. If you can do that it's possible to repair faulty disks; remember most decent live images ship with some sort of system rescue utility, notably system rescue cd which I believe is maintained by the gentoo people. Your spec is looking a bit underpowered for a lot of the 'easier' mainline linux distros, somebody mentioned trying a lightweight distro. To that end you may well want to investigate that as an option here is a site with a list of such OS's. Puppy has been mentioned, it's good I've used it on a mate's PC after he stuffed his hard drive 85% full with music/pix and XP refused to do anything. Another contender would be lubuntu, it's iso is a mere 690Mb compared to the more typical 4Gb, and remember they're compressed and typically double in size on installation. Another good point with ubuntu is there are a lot of ubuntu supporters about, so help is never far away.

About the security freeze thingy:

the SECURITY_FREEZE command is being set at some point in the boot process. This will prevent any further SECURITY-related commands being sent until the hard drive is power cycled. It is most likely your BIOS doing this. Look in your BIOS configuration. Some BIOSs do not have an option to turn this off, so you may be required to find a different computer/motherboard.

Sounds like your mobo/bios are causing the problem as you've swapped out the disk drive and the issue persists, perhaps reflashing the bios may be the order of the day, or power cycling the HDD in another box?

Those pirate XP gremlinz have done something nasty to you any which way, or may be uncle Bill doesn't want to see you go to the dark side.

However you resolve this, I suspect you have more than one hurdle to overcome

Good luck and may the force be with you

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:25 PM

I just lost a very long post :ranting:

Do to a poorly designed laptop imo, when I'm typing I hit the touch pad or buttons I don't know.

It seems as though you got some hardware issues, I can't help you there.

Number one thing you do need to do is check the md5sum always.  Otherwise you could have bad downloads with that internet connection you have, or any other for that matter.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

If you try and boot with those specs you will almost certainly have to do so in Compatibility Mode/Safe Graphics Mode.  Like Al000 said LXLE will be really good for that pc, but puppy even better with that amount of RAM.  I however don't like puppy, if you like it and don't mind all the learning it is awesome and fast.  I would suggest Mint 13 xfce! but there are a few things you have to know first that you can read here.  We will help if that is where you want to go.  Mint 13 xfce uses far less resources than even it's 13 brothers.  http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=113

For instance, after install, you won't even be able to boot if your system needs wireless drivers.  You can read about this here.  Read the headings below:  http://linuxmint.com/rel_maya.php

Remove the Medibuntu repository  

Boot hangs on systems using b43 wireless cards

Edited by pcpunk, 13 July 2015 - 05:27 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 marcoose777

marcoose777

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:26 PM

Try this apparently it works. I've no personal experience of freeze lock, very bizarre. All those missing bits the iso/install disk complains about sound like the remains of a botched reformat : The point where your bios freeze locked your drive there were bits of the original filesystem still present and other bits weren't. Thus when the mint installer reads the drive : gobbledygook, and has a real panic about what to do. Booting a light weight live distro and dd'ing the drive may be enough to persuade mint installer that all is well.

You say it happened again when you installed a fresh clean hard drive? Then to me I'd take a long hard look at the bios/firmware nothing else makes sense. You swapped the graphics card out too? Hollow face is normally spot on.

Curious

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:45 AM

My guess is that the computer is just too old, it was initially released with Windows ME, somewhere around 16 years ago, 15 at best. 

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-8765c-athlon-900-mhz-monitor-none-series/specs/

You likely limited to running a non-PAE version of Linux, there is a Ubuntu 12.04 non-PAE with support until April 2017. The 731MiB ISO is the one you need. 

http://people.canonical.com/~diwic/12.04-nonpae/

Here's the ISO link that you need. Though the power of your computer is still going to be a limiting factor, would be great if you could find a more powerful CPU that will fit in your socket on eBay for less than $10. It would seem that if XP will run on the computer, so will the non-PAE version of Ubuntu 12.04. The OS ran great on my oldest notebook when installed. 

ubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386-nonpae.iso

I'm not sure how much RAM this PC will actually hold, so am not going to suggest at this time to spend cash on RAM sticks, if so, would by used ones, new ones are way overpriced, a lesson learned long ago. 

Good Luck & hope that this distro will run on your PC. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users