Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will say "plugged in, not charging" unless I move the charger

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wreak_peace

wreak_peace

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:12 PM

HI,

I dropped my Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720 while the charger was plugged in, and ever since then, unless I very specifically position my charger and hold it in place, my laptop will say "plugged in, not charging". Also, a Dell QuickSet prompt will pop up and say something to the effect of "This charger is not recognized; your computer will run slower with it plugged in"; this appears anytime it gets plugged in again. Through searching online, I believe Dell puts a very small wire in their chargers which sends a signal to the laptop which the BIOS reads to verify the charger is an original OEM one, otherwise it won't charge the battery. 

Has anyone found a way to disable this functionality of Dell QuickSet and/or the BIOS? I guess I'm asking for a software solution, but I wasn't sure where else in the forums to put this.

I'm not planning on keeping this laptop for more than a month or so, so I don't want to spend the money on a replacement charger.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PeterMayson

PeterMayson

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:36 AM

There's no way to force the laptop charge its battery with a charger it doesn't recognizes.

Only solutions to restore full CPU speed.

1. In Device manager uninstall microsoft AC Adaptor – unplug AC jack and then plug back. (helped for some peoples)

2. using ThrottleStop software http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/

Please read carefully the info by the link.

Before making adjustments within ThrottleStop, find out what cpu is in your Dell laptop and figure out what are the normal speed(s) and features of that chip.

Read the 1st post from the above link. According to the author, Dell will either reduce Clock Modulation (CMod) or Chipset Clock Mod (Chip). Download, install, and run ThrottleStop. From the readings, whatever is not 100% as listed on the table is what you need to check before hitting Save. In my case, the CMod reading was 75%. So, I checked Clock Modulation to stop the throttling.

Also make sure the Set Multiplier Number matches your cpu. The default listed was not the proper multiplier for my cpu.

After the above steps, your cpu should now run at the maximum speed. That is great except laptop cpu’s run at multiple speeds to keep things cool and extend battery life. So, you probably want to check Power Saver or SLFM if the chip supports that.

Post 2 from the link will explain how to use the Windows Task Scheduler to start ThrottleStop automatically when booting. Alternatively, you could also put a shortcut in the Startup folder in Windows if you prefer. If you are going to have ThrottleStop boot everytime, you might want to go to Options and check Start Miminized, Minimized on Close, and uncheck Task Bar. These options will make Throttlestop less intrusive so you do not have to do anything everytime you computer starts.

But the issue is in damaged power cord. So maybe just try to locate where the power cord is damaged, cut off the problem area and reconnect the wires directly?

Anyway, nothing to loose already.

Good luck!

#3 wreak_peace

wreak_peace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:42 AM

Thanks, I'll try this all out!

#4 Pradeep6306

Pradeep6306

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:03 AM

Hi,

My name is Pradeep and I work for Dell's Social Media Team.

Please go ahead and power off this system and when you power it on at the Dell logo, keep tapping the F2 

key repeatedly for 3-4 times this will take you to the system set up. Please check the AC adapter status and Battery health under Advance tab.

Please follow the steps below within operating system and let us know the status:

1. Click on start button and navigate to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound\Power Options

2. In the left pane of the window, Click on "Dell Battery Meter"

3. Click on "Battery Life " tab

4. Click on "Disable Battery Charging" and click OK

5. Reboot your laptop.

Please try connecting with differnet adapter and let us know the status.

Please run virus scan to isolate the virus issue. If this doesnt fix the issue, please back up data and reinstall windows.

Pradeep Lokesh
Social Media and Community Professional
Download Drivers: http://del.ly/61832hid

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

My 2c either the wire has been damaged or the socket got tweaked, try slowly moving the plug in the socket.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:35 PM

If you are having to wiggle the cord in order for it to charge properly you probably have one of two problems.  First the cord has a short. Second the laptop side has been tweaked.  If that is true some are easier then others to replace.  You might try to find someone or go to a local pc store and ask them for a replacement ac adapter.  If that one fits in no problem and doesn't wiggle your good to go.  Otherwise you are looking at replacing the inlet for the power. 

#7 MikeInFL

MikeInFL

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:59 PM

We have seen this particular model several times in the course of our computer repair business.  They always have loose or broken power connectors and usually the laptop base is broken too, so the power jack is moving around.  Replacing the power jack is what will fix the "plugged in, not charging issue.  You will see a broken orange wire when you take out the old power jack, which was likely caused my the loose power jack.  You will pay about $15-$20 for the power jack on Amazon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users