Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alonectorch

alonectorch

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

Hello. The only reason I can even make this post is because I'm using the desktop. Every wireless device I have can't load web pages anymore and keep displaying the error message 'DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG'. This used to be an on and off problem and I could always fix it by unplugging the router and all connected to it, giving it a while to reset and done. The problem was solved. But as recently as yesterday that method didn't work, so I watched a video tutorial telling me to go to control panel, open up the network and sharing center, clicking on change adapter settings, double-clicking local area connection, clicking on properties,double-clicking Internet Protocol Version 4 and changing the DNS from 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' to  'use the following DNS server addresses' and typing 8.8.8.8 into preferred DNS server. I did that last night, waited a while, and the problem was solved. Now today I get the 'DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG' message again. I look up countless methods of fixing the problem, and none of them work. If anyone has a solution to this, please tell me. -sigh- I can tell this sis a problem that won't be easy to fix. I'm about to try unplugging everything again. If it works, I'll post back here. If it doesn't (which it probably won't), don't hesitate to try helping.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

I tried unplugging everything and It didn't work.

#3 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:11 PM

I've also tried flushing the DNS using command prompt. That didn't work either

#4 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:40 PM

I tried this (Image in the link) and I went to my chromebook to test. At first, it gave me a different error than usual. It said the name was not resolved or something. Then, while it's still loading, I get through. I put in a search and it works. Then I check on my iPhone (with no service) and it gives me the same error as usual. 'ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED'. I Check back on chromebook and I put in a new page, and I get 'DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG' again. I refresh the google search and i get 'DNS_PROBE_BAD_CONFIG' -sigh- I guess it's back to the drawing board

#5 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:04 PM

I tried this...no dice.

Attached Files

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

You change them and it works; when it stops, if you go back in are the changes still there?

If you change the DNS on a computer, that only changes it for that computer, not the entire network. So if your router has bad DNS information then every device you haven't entered DNS settings in manually uses the router's setting.

You unplugged the router, have you reset it? By pushing and holding the pin hole button for a 10 count? The button is normally near the power plug or on the bottom. Either place is normally labeled Reset. This should put the settings back to defaults. You will want to change them once you know it's up and running. I wouldn't bother until then, as you might have to reset it a few times.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:02 AM

You change them and it works; when it stops, if you go back in are the changes still there?

If you change the DNS on a computer, that only changes it for that computer, not the entire network. So if your router has bad DNS information then every device you haven't entered DNS settings in manually uses the router's setting.

You unplugged the router, have you reset it? By pushing and holding the pin hole button for a 10 count? The button is normally near the power plug or on the bottom. Either place is normally labeled Reset. This should put the settings back to defaults. You will want to change them once you know it's up and running. I wouldn't bother until then, as you might have to reset it a few times.

Actually the day afterward I learned that my internet provider was hacked, and someone fooled with the DNS lookup on the internal servers. Nobody with WOW! internet in my area could get wireless from 12 pm to 12 am.

#8 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:05 AM

But, I do have a new problem.

I recently came up to my grandfather's house, and the wireless was working fine. But when I woke up in the morning, chrome was giving me an error saying "ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE". I ran diagnostics and it all seems to be stemming from an error reading TCP data.

If you want, I can type the details the diagnostics gave me

#9 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:07 AM

I recently came up to my grandfather's house, and the wireless was working fine. But when I woke up in the morning, chrome was giving me an error saying "ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE". I ran diagnostics and it all seems to be stemming from an error reading TCP data.

I should add my mobile is working fine. It doesn't have cell service (as it's not activated) and it's using the wi-fi connection. It's working fine

#10 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:20 AM

I should add my mobile is working fine. It doesn't have cell service (as it's not activated) and it's using the wi-fi connection. It's working fine

I just rebooted my chromebook. It was sending out invalid tcp data because it hadn't updated. It's working now.

#11 tan491

tan491

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:22 PM

I am having the same problem, I have did the ipconfig/all and manually enter ip addresses etc.  My Laptop performance is very slow or the internet  just stops. I am surprised I am able to post at this time. Help!

#12 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:12 PM

I have a new problem, but it's with a hard drive on my gaming computer. It's been going on for almost a year and giving me a ton of stress. I'm going to make a post about it, if anyone can help.

#13 RancherLara

RancherLara

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:54 AM

You can Come across DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG error very frequently; stopping you from accessing Web Pages like Facebook, Gmail or Google.com itself. This Error in your Browser Points out that DNS lookup Failed while loading the webpage for you. Try to flush the dns via cmd command ipconfig /flushdns..Even you can also try to renew the ip address. It will definitely  work in your case too..Or else you can try the solution given in this guide : http://errorcodespro.com/fix-error-dns_probe_finished_bad_config-for-android-mac-chrome/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users